View Full Version here: : Aldi Headlamp $5.

dimithri86
08-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Might be worth having a few. Could convert one to dedicated asto use

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-9-july/saturday-detail-wk27/ps/p/led-headlight-2/

goober
08-07-2016, 09:55 AM
I have three of them from last year, one having undergone the red nailpolish treatment. They work great in the field - throws a bright beam in the dark.

glend
08-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Thanks. That 12V power point might also be useful for astro purposes, say for attaching to a Dob mount to serve as a distribution point for power to a tablet, wifi, bluetooth box, or Nexus DSC.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-9-july/saturday-detail-wk27/ps/p/car-socket-adaptor-1/

Allan
08-07-2016, 10:39 AM
I have never seen a bigger contradiction of statements. :)

Those head lamps are banned from most star parties for good reason. To the wearer they are throwing out a nice, soft red light. But to everyone else they are being pointed at, they produce a night vision destroying, bright light. I guess if you are out observing on your own then they would work as intended.

glend
08-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Yes indeed, for imagers they are destroyers of their work. The fact that people wear them on their heads insures they shine into scopes as they walk around or even turn their heads in that direction. But on your own in your backyard they are fine if you accept the night vision impact.

Kunama
08-07-2016, 10:54 AM
I am tempted to get a couple of these at that price but not for astronomy use.

For Astro use I have a dimmable red torch with a lanyard that I hang around my neck thus the light is always pointing directly down and not causing issues to others.

As an aside, when you write down your observing list for the evening, do go to the trouble of finding a black pen even if it takes a while....
The other night, in a hurry to get to a dark site I scribbled down 35 targets on paper with the only pen I could find .... RED.
When you view that list with a red torch your list looks just like a blank piece of paper...

Rick Parrott
08-07-2016, 02:11 PM
My brother got me one of these when they were last out; for camping and possum spotting they are fantastic! For 'scope nights, not so good (except when packing up?)
I have a Coleman LED headlamp that has red/white LED; it turns on red initially, and once on for a few seconds it assumes next press is "off" rather than white LED. Works very well!

mental4astro
08-07-2016, 03:00 PM
I've got one of these, though from another source, not Aldi. I made a red cellophane light filter. Light weight and brilliant useful light. The beam is not too wide at its widest which means you get to use the majority of the light. The focused bean is quite narrow and square in shape! - the shape of the LED producing light. Great lght. This Aldi one is less expensive than the one I bought too.

goober
08-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Well, yes the two white lamps are great for me and my son out stomping around camping. They work very well in the field. The one I converted to a red lamp is fine for working under the scope. I'm not a star party guy :)

doug mc
09-07-2016, 11:00 AM
At the scope I use a clip on led book light with the lens area covered in red . Pointed down at my eyepiece tray. Comes off easy to look about.

iborg
09-07-2016, 03:18 PM
I've just taken two of the Aldi ones back. Straps too tight and they slid off my head!

Philip

AEAJR
09-07-2016, 03:37 PM
I tend to avoid people who use these head lamps as they like to shine them in our face.

mswhin63
09-07-2016, 05:17 PM
I personally use Rubylith filter, I have quite a stock of it and have an accurate cutter where I can cut to an accuracy of 0.5mm maybe better. I can then fit it inside the screw off lens cap.

It produces an excellent light source especially good for Dark Sky night. Does NOT ruin anything or upset others from viewing.

I also find the Rubylith filter great contrast on computer monitors as well.

I would never again use Red Cellophane or any other red substitute as they still produce an interfering light output.