PDA

View Full Version here: : Klarus FL1A compact torch micro-review

sil
07-07-2016, 10:18 AM
I picked up the Klarus FL1A compact torch recently and its very useful for a whole range of activities including astronomy. It runs off a single AA battery has white, red and green light as a torch available. Also has shorter wave UV (as a stamp and mineral collector this was what I was after instead of the cheap longwave purple "UV" torches which have little practical use. because of the short wave UV its almost too faint since its mostly out of the visible light spectrum and dangerous to the eyes but its hard to find decent shortwave UV torches and as such this is one of the best Ive used. The light head is a translucent diffuser rather than a mirrored reflector, its a torch for close use, not for spotting roos at a distance. It also means up close the bright torch isnt harsh on the eyes. The red and green modes are great for night vision safety. It can also flash for safety between the red and green. It comes with a little carabiner so you can clip it to your belt/scope/tripod so tripping over tripod legs in the dark can be avoided. Good for personal safety too if you go jogging in twilight. No green laser pointer, but it is water resistant and very well made. Orders of magintude better than any pocket compact maglite. Has a few other modes it can and its easy to switch modes.

Price seemed a bit hefty around $50 but after using it, its well worth the money for its versatility (for me the shortwave UV alone was worth it). Great for tons of hobbys, it uses a single push button for all controls and the diffuser design means you can do up close work in tight spaces (inside computers/cars etc) easily and safely, no messing about with trying to balance a torch pointed at the area you need just sit this tiny torch right where you need it. Its a cree led based torch and I picked it up on ebay.

Highly recommended for astronomers (though not designed for that purpose) and torch lovers everywhere :)

Sorry I dont have photos or a link (tons on google to stores though, but didnt spot a proper product page and not endorsing anyone).
its about this big:

[[[[[[[[[################################### ##
[[[[[[[[[#####=====######################### ##