PDA

View Full Version here: : Buying a scope without the synscan hand box

Willow127mm
01-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Hi guys I have a opportunity to get a HEQ5 with a 120mm skywatcher achro for $700 but it doesn't have the hand controller.
It comes with a 90 day warranty so plenty of time to get one and test it but I believe the hand controller is around $300 so not sure if getting a bargain or not ant help much appreciated
Cheers Brad

raymo
01-07-2016, 06:21 PM
You are certainly not getting a bargain. An HEQ5 with the hand controller
goes here for around $650-750, and a SW 120mm f/5 achro for around
$250 or a bit more, so you'd be better off getting an HEQ5 that you know works, and avoid the possibility of messing around with warranties.
There is also the fact that the new V.4 hand controller is a step backwards from the V.3 in as much as it doesn't fit in the handpiece
retainer properly, and will fall out of it easily, plus two functions have been deleted so that there is no longer a beep when the scope stops at the end of a slew, and the ambient temperature can no longer be displayed, and finally, it looks cheap and nasty.
raymo

dannat
01-07-2016, 06:21 PM
is the hand controller missing or is it the model with dual axis drives & simple hand controller [ie non=pro version]
hand controller's are pretty expensive by themselves

Willow127mm
03-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Thanks for your time and help guys yeah I think I'm better off waiting.
And yeah its a pro mount but it's been put in a hock shop and the guy failed to put the hand controller in with it god knows why but as for the the achro it's 120mm x 1000mm not sure how much it effects the value but maybe a little.
At the end of the day I'm not really interested in an achro as I'll be imaging and looking for a APO I do really appreciate your help and replys guys
Brad