PDA

View Full Version here: : i dont understand?

gel
30-06-2016, 06:33 PM
with my 2 x Barlow/ZWO ASI120MM/MC I can capture and record Jupiter and Mars but for the life of me i cant capture Saturn, i can see it with my 25mm plossel/9mm nagler,but try as i might i cant get it to focus when i insert the Zwo.ive spent 2 hours atleast trying to resolve this ie,with barlow/no barlow. im using sharpcap as a medium as / other planets.what am i doing wrong?thanks

Atmos
30-06-2016, 06:41 PM
All I can think of is that Saturn is considerably dimmer than Mars and Jupiter. If it is focused on Mars or Jupiter then it'll be focused on Saturn as everything up in the skies is at the same focus.

Nikolas
30-06-2016, 06:49 PM
turn up your gain, if mars and jupiter can be focused then so can saturn

gel
30-06-2016, 07:18 PM
ill give it a go raising the gain to 70 percent ? thanks Clear Skies

Atmos
30-06-2016, 07:22 PM
If raising the gain doesn't work you may need to decrease the exposure time to compensate for Saturns relative dimness compared to Mars and Jupiter.

gel
30-06-2016, 08:03 PM
ta thanks for the info,ill try all recomendations.its so strange i managed it years ago with no trouble with a dob and neximage!!

raymo
30-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Judging by your supplied image, you have it pretty much in focus, but it is way overexposed, so that it just looks like a white disc without any detail.
raymo

steve.garner
30-06-2016, 10:43 PM
I don't know anything about astrophotography, but I know a LOT about terrestrial photography - I would agree that its way overexposed with all the detail blown out but focus looks good.

gel
01-07-2016, 06:18 AM
sorry folks that image was from years ago when i had an 8 inch dob and used neximage.my sig shows what im using now- regards

Nikolas
01-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Just to summarise.
for the 120mc raise the gain and slightly lower the exposure time till you see saturn on the screen, Sometimes it helps to turn up the gain to max so that you easily spot it then adjust the sliders accordingly till you are happy with your image.

astronobob
01-07-2016, 02:17 PM
The Image you have there is years old, yes, over exposed !
I think if your not finding saturn - which I have notice from going Mars to Saturn lately- I double or even triple the exposure time so thats it shows up easily - when found, then decrease the exposure to suit !
I also, after Mars, which the frame size is very small, 300 x 300 pixels - I increase it back to full frame size view, so Saturn will be caught in the frame easier (y)

Are you finding Saturn with the camear at all - just to make sure, as your info on whats actually happening is not too clear ?

Some have mentioned to reduce your exposure but I think they are referring to the image posted from years ago - not your current issue ?

Hope this helps ??

gel
01-07-2016, 05:41 PM
i tend to say i am finding saturn but it is so out of focus its just an expanded halo.take the zwo out and insert 25mm /9mm eypiece and thiers saturn barlow or no barlow i can find it straight away with those eyepieces.i have good results with mars/jupiter. ill try again soon with all your comments- thanks.:)