PDA

View Full Version here: : Tak FS102 vs WO FLT132. Opinions wanted.

dmurton
05-06-2016, 09:32 AM
I have been lucky enough to stumble across 2 really nice refractors, an WO FLT132 and more recently a Takahashi FS102. Both are early versions of that particular model, the FS is a fixed dew shield version from 1999 and the WO would be nearly 10 years old. I am finding that I don't need both of them and need to decide which one to keep. I do both photography and visual. both are very sharp visually, and both are good photographically.

The way I see it is the WO has aperture, a triplet, a case, and a feather touch focuser going for it, while its weight is against it. Focal length 925mm @f7.
The Tak is much lighter, apparently one of the best doublets, and a cell that can be collimated going for it, while lack of aperture and a single speed focuser against it. Focal length 820mm @f8.

All opinions welcome.

Regards

David

casstony
05-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Assuming both have good optics and the WO aluminium cell doesn't pinch in cold weather, go with the scope you find yourself setting up most often. Do you like more light gathering and FT focuser, or the lighter weight and quick cooldown of the FS102?

Tropo-Bob
05-06-2016, 10:45 AM
No harm in keeping both these fine scopes for another year, then selling the one that you do not use much.
However, life with just one telescope, that would be tough!

gregbradley
05-06-2016, 11:01 AM
The WO would be the better for astrophotography. The Tak fluorite doublets are not really APO. They tend to have blue halos on bright stars so blue is not in focus. I have had both FS102 and FS152. Beautifully visually but not 100% for imaging.

The WO is a triplet which is usually what you need for APO and for imaging.

Personally I found viewing through the FS102 to dim and limited to widefield views only. Which is fine but its quite limited. The FS152 though despite not being a true APO gave me some of the very best visual views of any telescope.

Greg.

Slawomir
05-06-2016, 02:12 PM
I have not used neither of the two, but for photography I would keep the triplet because in theory it will have better colour correction than the doublet. Another aspect is telescope's speed, f/7 being faster than f/8, plus a 0.8 reducer would turn your triplet into f/5.6 which is very nice for astrophotography. Such reducer will not work as well with a doublet and halos would be even larger in a dublet with a reducer.