PDA

View Full Version here: : HEQ5-Pro version 3 handset

allan gould
30-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Finally got hold of my new handset for my HEQ5-Pro running version 3 of the software. There are several new features for the handset but the two which are of importance are that the software is upgradable over the net and that FINALLY there is a sync function. The latter is really the most important for me and Im glad to report that it does work and infinitely makes the pointing of the mount exceptionally accurate.
But it aint cheap!!!!!!!!

Striker
30-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Its about time the sync feature was included in version 3.

I wonder if the handset will become cheaper....seems a bit rich just for a hand controller.

Allan your soon to be Tak will sit nicely on the HEQ5...lol

allan gould
30-10-2006, 08:40 PM
No, there will be no Tak on the mount. I went through agony over the weekend about what to use for imaging on the HEQ5-Pro. It works brilliantly with 8"SCT with f6.3 reducer and 70mm guidescope. But I'm trying to go even more minimalist with the Canon 350D and photography. Finally I had come down to 80ED and WO focuser or the new Saxon premium ED80 but then I heard about various quality issues and so I finally got a great deal on a WO Megrez II 80 triplet APO that I could not pass up. It will do my imaging with guiding or using PEC on the HEQ5 mount and will be a great portable scope for travelling. After seeing some of the photos on the WO site as well as some other astrophotos and emailing those that have the triplet APO i felt it was the way to go. But thanks for your considered input it really stirred me up. Nice to have that sort of choices in life.

g__day
30-10-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm curious - what is the purpose of the sync function, what does it do?

janoskiss
30-10-2006, 10:58 PM
I know about the sinc function (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SincFunction.html) but never heard of the sync function.. Maybe it's a spelling error.

allan gould
30-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Short for synchronise function. Its important if your goto's are a little off and you want to be more accurate, then you goto a known object in the handsets database or a planetarium program - use the directional keys on the handset to bring it into the centre of the eyepiece and then sync on the object by (in this case) pressing the escape key for 2 secs. This alters the pointing model of the scope to take in any inaccuracies and in the case of SynScan ver 3 can be done for 85 objects across the sky. Therfore getting better pointing accuracy particularly in the area of your sync onject. Makes it easier to place a faint object on the chip of a CCD.

Karls48
31-10-2006, 12:48 AM
You don’t need to have a Sync function in your controller. You can use SkyMap or TheSky6 to get same function. I have not done alignment on Meade ETX for maybe six months. I just set it up and tell it to GoTo to some bright star. Antares, for example. It goes where it thinks the Antares is and finishes way out of target. I center star in the eyepiece and switch telescope control to the SkyMap. I Sync on Antares and from then on, next object I GoTo is in the eyepiece view. I Sync on every object I view and GoTo becames very accurate even without initial alighment.

Astroman
31-10-2006, 06:23 AM
Is that V3.01, Alan? Its a little more stable than v3.00 aparently. Good to hear you got it, I am working on direct mount control for my Syntrek mount, which I will not spend $800 for a new hand controller. The direct control will have more features too in the future, ascom driver being written for it as we speak.

sejanus
31-10-2006, 09:26 AM
gosh, I have to try that!

h0ughy
31-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Sounds interesting Andrew, please keep up updated with that progress as i think spending $800 is far too rich for getting another hand controller. The thing is for astrophotography you don't need it, all you want is for the tracking to be perfect and the ability to autoguide:whistle:

h0ughy
31-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Without being rude could you PM me the price you paid?

allan gould
31-10-2006, 10:21 AM
We are not talking Autostar here but the SynScan controller. You CANNOT sync with the synscan even in a planetarium program thats why they have changed the handset. By the way it is ver 3.01 but there may be a bug in it which causes the mount to stop tracking.
Also I dont know where the $800 price tag is comming from as I paid nowhere near that.