PDA

View Full Version here: : Installing DSC on a GEM...

Ilmenite
05-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Can anyone provide some advice on the simplest and/or best way to go about installing encoders on an GEM? I am not overly technical and cannot readily undertake metal machining, so if there is a simple solution to this I would be delighted. The mount is a Cave Astrola with 1.5” axes made circa 1976 and I would prefer to leave it untouched.
Any suggestions, photos etc of similar installations would be appreciated.
Nick

Kunama
05-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Maybe make a bracket to mount the encoder alongside the axis and use a belt drive. If you talk to Gary at Wildcard they made a setup for the Tak EM mounts that had belt drive encoders which were attached parallel to the axes.

gary
05-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Hi Nick,

Customers have installed Argo Navis systems on the Cave Astrola.
Email sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place
Mount Kuring-Gai NSW 2080
Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

Ilmenite
05-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Sorry, I was perhaps not as clear as I should have been. I already have the computer and encoders but haven’t been able to find any pictures etc of how they are mounted on an old fashioned mount without any other electronics.
The idea of a belt drive is interesting as the computer will do the necessary calculations so it doesn’t need to have a known gear factor. Finding a pulley with a 1.5” bore may be more difficult.
I am still very open to other alternatives and photos.
Nick

Kunama
08-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Pic of your mount might help. PM sent.

MattT
08-05-2016, 01:48 PM
How I did it with help from Gary :thumbsup:
Not exactly the same thing but an old mount.
Matt

torana68
08-05-2016, 02:49 PM
I'm not going to search but I thought I saw a fitting kit for Cave mounts on the Wildcard site, if so buy the kit, don't know if that includes the encoders but I'm sure there will be a delete option if you ask nice.

hamptonskies
09-05-2016, 09:40 AM
JMI makes a hardware installation kit for Cave Astrola mounts. It is listed at http://www.jmitelescopes.com/pdf_docs/mfg_model_list.pdf
I installed one of their kits on a Vixen SP and it worked great. You should be able to buy the kit without encoders as they do custom orders.
Greg