PDA

View Full Version here: : Cleaning internal elements in EP's?

donrunk
01-05-2016, 09:03 PM
I recently got 2 EP's and a Barlow from Andrews all of which have visible debris/dust inside the unit (behind outer element)

Can't find any info on cleaning the internals.

Can it even be done? There are screwed setting rings so I know of you can tear them down but not prepared to do so if it is best left alone. Mind you I am confident of doing delicate work.

Many thanks!

dreamstation
01-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Were the eyepieces and barlow purchased new? I'd be sending them back rather than trying to clean them yourself. They should be pristine condition when purchased new in my opinion.

donrunk
02-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks,

Yes they were all bought new about a month ago -

1x GSO 30mm Superview
1x GSO 2.5x barlow
1x S500 12.5mm plossl

Didn't pick up on the dust until recently (when unfocused i saw the dust spots and it lead me to have a closer look at all of them)

I know the quality of the pieces is not the best and I'm sure it's a QC issue so a replacement could have the same issues. That and i no longer have boxes etc making return difficult also.

I highly doubt they will need cleaning by contact or wiping just a gentle puff of air to remove the debris inside then reassembly.

Has anyone ever disassembled an eyepiece/barlow just to give them a blow out?

gaa_ian
02-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Hi Sean
I regularly service scopes and eyepieces.
Eyepieces can be cleaned the same way as camera lens in my experience. You may need a locking ring removal tool to get into them though ? Obviously greta care in assembling EXACTLY are disassembled, they only work in the right order of lenses :-)
Cheers
Ian

Renato1
02-05-2016, 06:50 PM
I once cleaned an orthoscopic eyepiece by taking it apart. It took me four days to finally be happy with my putting it back together.

Despite my best efforts, and using supposedly the best cleaning paper, every time I assembled it and held it up to the light, I'd see some speck or fine piece of fibre on some inner surface.

A fine speck inside is only really annoying if using the eyepiece during daylight or on the moon. Best leave it as is.
Regards,
Renato

donrunk
03-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Many thanks Ian and Renato,

Good to know that it is at least possible as there seems to be little info online about how to do so. Was concerned that each element might be collimated to the next by set screws, magic or something.

I'll try to leave them alone but now that i know it's there i can't stop thinking about it and looking for it every time i use them.

Thanks again, Sean.