PDA

View Full Version here: : Mounting ED 80 on 12" SCT

leon
29-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi All
I'm considering mounting my ED 80 onto my 12" LX 200, SCT, and i was just wondering what is out there to do this job.

Is there a mounting bracket that i can purchase, or do i have to make up something myself.

Thanks for any advice on this topic.

Leon

[1ponders]
29-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Check out the Losmandy site for dovetail plates and guide rings leon. http://www.losmandy.com/secondary.html

Then check out OPTCorp (www.optcorp.com)for reasonable prices

Lee
29-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the OPT link Paul - I'm looking at some of this sort of stuff currently..... :D

leon
31-10-2006, 07:47 PM
thanks Paul

Striker
31-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Leon this is what you need to put an ED80 ontop of a 12" Meade..

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=2511&kw=losmandy&st=2

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=508&kw=losmandy&st=2

Weight & Balance may become a problem on a fork mount..something to consider.

Doug
31-10-2006, 08:56 PM
OK Guys, those links are good and they are links to good stuff..(drool, drool)
They are also expensive by the time you add freight and exchange rate.
Leon depending on your budget and the stringency of your requirements, Bintel sell an Ausie equivelent, for around half the price. They are not as good as the losmandy for sure, but I use them and they do the job ok.
I get a bit of flexure when guiding, however that is more to do with the ED80 focuser + mirror shift + Meade err well?
( I wish I had access to a reasonable workshop....but I don't)

cheers,
Doug

Striker
31-10-2006, 09:28 PM
The mounting system Doug has mentioned may also help the weight and balance problem you will have Leon.

On the other hand when you spend $6000 on a camera and another $6000 on a scope I wouldn't be trying to save a few dollars on some cheap mounting accessories as flex will be an issue.

They look like the cheap skywatcher tube rings on a skinny Synta dovetail.
Hardly what you call rock solid....but like I said it may help your balance problem.

[1ponders]
31-10-2006, 09:46 PM
I originally had the Orion guide rings. They didn't last long. They have nylon guide screws for adjusting where the guidescope points to. These had a tendency to bend and slip when pointing to the zenith. I spent many hours in frustration trying to get them to do what they were meant to do. Part of the problem was the weight of the Orion ED80. If it was a lighter scope then the adjustment screws might not have the tendency to bend under load. What did I end up getting? The Losmandy guiderings. They are worth every cent.

As for a counter weight system. The Meade rail system are OK. They take a bit of adjustment to get them right. The 2 D system worked much better and worked more like a standard weight set on an eq mount.

Doug
31-10-2006, 09:57 PM
I would like to point out that even welding the ED80 to the main tube will not rid one of flexure issues.
I know of some who have removed the focuser completely and mounted their guider on an independant plate in order to overcome flexure. Flexure is caused more by guider movement relative to imaging optics...regardless of just which is the weakest link. The two weakest links in the imaging chain are the focuser(s) and mirror flop (assuming no mirror lock), but even then....... Others have tried machining up elaborate snugg fitting clamshell type tube holders in an effort to get rid of flexure, only to sheepishly resort to addressing focuser and mirror cell issues.
Leon, if you only want to image through the ED80 with no guiding thru the 12", flexure is not going to be such an issue anyway; not with a Canon 5d on the ED80. The weight of the Canon on the stock focuser will be a flexure issue even after you Dynabolt the ED80 to the main tube.

luck either way,
Doug

leon
31-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Well Guys, Thank you very much for your comments.

I have to agree with Tony, in a way, like he said, if you spend $12000.00 on scope, camera, and accesssories it semms a little doppy to be stingy on the accessory that will hold the guide scope.

Thanks for you advice.

leon

rogerg
01-11-2006, 01:22 AM
To mount my Megrez on my LX I took a trip to bunnings, got some aluminum tubing and metalic grey paint. Came home, drilled a few holes, did a little spray painting, stuck 2 x $35 skywatcher rings on the bar, and mounted the Megrez. Bingo!

Worked. Not perfect but worked. I'm now going to upgrade but it worked for several years.

Cost me about $90 max including rings.

http://www.rogergroom.com/rogergroom/productImages/000379.jpg
... pretty poor pic but might help.

I can't see myself spending the money on the losmandy gear, but am (this weekend) having my back neighbour knock up a aluminium bar for mounting on the 12" OTA to have a set of these (http://www.astro.premcom.com/ADM/ADM%20Products/R100.htm)screwed to it. I already have the rings (will switch them between Losmandy & LX) ... so won't cost me much, but would be something like $140 total including them.

Lots of options out there.

I'd be interested to see the BINTEL ones, might go look them up...

Roger.