PDA

View Full Version here: : Can you use AOX with an ST402ME in an OAG?

gregbradley
20-04-2016, 09:37 AM
There was another thread that got deleted where someone mentioned you can use an ST7 in OAG to run an AOX.

I use a MMOAG and STi but have an ST402ME I used to use as a guide camera. Does anyone know if that will run an AOX?

Is it the serial port that is needed to run the AOX?
I am interested in using an AOX but already have my cameras so don't want to get another camera just to use it.

Greg.

loc46south
20-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Hi Greg - The ST7XME and the ST8XME will run an AO-7 or an AO-8 don't know about the AO-X that is a later version and my require different circuitry. I'm pretty sure that the ST402ME is off the menu - I know that the ST8300 - similar camera will not run it -I've tried it.

Cheers
Geof

gregbradley
20-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Thanks Geoff.

I didn't think the ST402 would run it as it only has an ST4 type relay cable.
So it comes down to ST7 or 8.

They are generally pretty cheap these days 2nd hand. But I imagine a bit on the heavy side to use as a guide camera.

Greg.

Peter Ward
20-04-2016, 11:44 AM
The AO-x requires a I2C port, which is not present with the ST402....i.e. this won't work.

loc46south
20-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi Greg - At the moment I am trying to get a 12.5 AG Optical iDK up and running - I intend to use a ST10XME as Main camera and a ST7XME as a guide camera and to drive an A-O8 through an Innovations Foresight On Axis Guider - I have set up the image train and it is inside weight specs for the FLI Atlas that I have mounted on the telescope. Only problem is I have now struck problems with Optecs FocusLock software that is meant to drive the On Axis Guider. It won't load. Will keep you updated - ST7's are not that easy to come by - they are still fairly popular for various types of astronomy.

Geof

gregbradley
29-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Is this port on the ST7XME? There could be quite a market for this if the AOX works with something like that without having to get an STT or STXL camera.

Greg.