PDA

View Full Version here: : IR mod Canon 1200D

luka
25-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Hi

I am thinking about IR modding my 1200D but, apart from one youtube video, I am struggling to find much info about this particular model. I can find heaps of stuff about older models, especially 450D.

Has anyone modified the 1200D? How different is the procedure compared to 1100D for example?

Also I am using ED80 so a blocking of UV and far IR will be needed to prevent bloated stars. Again no info about Baader IR Cut filter for 1200D. Is it the same size as 1100D (or 450D)? Or is there something else I should be looking at? Or is Astronomik EOS-clip filter a better way to go?

The camera will be used for astrophotography only, with ED80 + widefields.

Thanks

traveller
25-03-2016, 11:13 PM
1200D uses an APS-C sensor, so a clip in UV/IR filter will be fine.
The mod is almost exactly the same as 1100D, which in itself is relatively easy to do http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/life-pixel-canon-rebel-t5-diy-digital-infrared-conversion-tutorial
Good luck
Bo

luka
25-03-2016, 11:30 PM
Thank you Bo.

I can't believe that I did not think of searching for "Rebel T5". Where is the facepalm smiley when I need it.

luka
27-03-2016, 12:42 AM
Success.
I have removed the IR filter. It was quite simple apart from the very fragile IR filter which cracked easily. It took me long time to clean up the glass particles stuck to the adhesive tape.

Now I am thinking what to do with the AA/UV-IR filter. For now I took it out together with the black plastic frame. I struggled to get all the dust from it.

If I decide to keep the AA/UV-IR filter, it needs to be glued back. Gary Honis suggests silicone glue - what is this? The silicones from Bunnings that I used in the past outgas quite a bit, at least initially. Is there a particular one to use?

It is raining so the best test I can do right now is the photo of the LED in TV remote. Looks bright :-)

traveller
27-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Just leave both filters out Luka, make it a full spectrum mod.
A UV/IR EOS clip in filter will fix the rest.
Bo

glend
27-03-2016, 09:26 AM
I would agree with making it a full spectum mod by leaving the front AA filter off as well. I run a Baader UV/IR Cut filter on the front of the T-adaptor (a 2" screw on). This gives you a sealed chamber ahead of the sensor. You can also consider getting an Astromik MC Clear filter to mount on the old AA spot, this can be used ti create a dry gas chamber ahead of the sensor cover glass, which could be important if you ever decide to cool the camera. I warn you DSLR modding is a disease, once you start you will be tempted to go further and further. Good luck.

luka
27-03-2016, 02:07 PM
The consensus is clear, the AA filter will stay off.

Glen, I already have got bitten by the modding bug, a big one. In the last 3 months I:
- upgraded my EQ5 from dual-axis drive to a belt-driven system
- built OnStep-based controller for the new drive
- build a guidescope from a finderscope
- modded the 1200D
- started working on a cooled box for the 1200D

The worst thing is that the clouds allowed me only a few hours to test the belt drive and the guiderscope. I just placed the mount on the ground and went from 30 seconds unguided to 10 minutes guided with ED80. I did not even try going longer (light pollution is a problem). Most likely beginner's luck, I had no idea what I was doing, I just clicked go in PHD.

Can't wait to get it all out again in the next few days and start playing with things. The forecast looks promising.

luka
27-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Few more tips if anyone else is doing the IR mod of 1200D:
1. You will need torx T7 screwdriver to get the sensor off. This does not seem to be mentioned anywhere.
2. Pull off the front rubber cover before taking the back off. It is simpler to do it when you don't need to worry about the exposed PCB at the back.
3. Make sure the capacitor is discharged before doing the disassembly.

ZeroID
29-03-2016, 07:39 PM
OOoooo , you are tempting me now .... Must use the 450D FIRST !! must use ....

Well done btw, welcome to the compulsive DIY fraternity, we meet on Fridays... :lol:

Camelopardalis
29-03-2016, 07:56 PM
I was pretty impressed with th 1200D I had, I can imagine the results would be pretty good with the LPF filter removed and a cold finger mode :D

luka
29-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Don't forget debayering the sensor. Nobody seems to have done it on 1200D. I am thinking about having a go... spare sensors are around $100.

By the way, I took it out last night but everything was red and the stars had reddish halos... now I am waiting for the Baader UV-IR cut filter and thinking about cooling and debayering.

Camelopardalis
30-03-2016, 09:51 AM
When I stripped the filter off my 1100D, I noticed what appeared to be about a f-stop improvement in light gathering.

A large-ish mono sensor has a certain appeal, but I'm not handy enough with those kinds of tools :lol:

glend
30-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Re debayering to mono the sensor, I'd wait. As I have said before, it's not an easy mod and you will probably ruin at least one sensor trying it. And if you are successful you then have to do RGB shooting and processing to get back to the capability you have now, albeit with better resolution. My advice is to get some experience shooting OSC with your existing camera mod.

Good luck and have fun.