PDA

View Full Version here: : Grab and Go Refractor

Atmos
22-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Since Lewis put his 76mm Tak up I have been thinking about getting a small grab and go refractor. With a 5.1" refractor for imaging and a 12" dob for deeper skies (dark site), I think I will be in need for a fast cooling refractor for those nights where I may just want to look at the moon or planets at home in a pinch. I know I'll probably end up wanting a small alt-az mount.

Refractor wise I am thinking around the 60-80mm mark. Not planning on doing any imaging with it so with that in mind a well corrected doublet may be all thats needed.

On the TeleVue line there is the TV-60,76 & 85.
Could go down the path of the SW ED80 (cheap alternative but still pretty good quality).
On the Takahashi side there is the 60, 76 or maybe the Sky-90.

Ultimately I'd probably rather the Tak over the TV, the Sky-90 for instance is cheaper than the TV-76 and is a fluorite doublet.

On that note, as I have never looked through a fluorite... Is it worth potentially spending that bit extra and going fluorite over a good FPL-53?

Although I had taken out my 130mm APO on two occasions, almost all of my refractor observations have been through a SW ED100. Very nice but I do think I want a premium grab and go for home use :)

Thoughts and suggestions are most welcome (begged for :lol:)

Kunama
22-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Claude has a Sky90 in stock under $2K brand new.

Atmos
22-03-2016, 11:23 PM
That's why I mentioned it :) I have just been doing a bit of reading up on them and as a visual instrument the few reviews I found made them sound like they're far better suited towards AP and very sensitive to collimation.

DJT
22-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Hi Colin

I have a Tak FS60 with the 1.7 extender Q which makes it an fs60Q. This makes it quite versatile and if you are a glutton for punishment, the Q gives a perfectly flat field so I have occasionally slapped a DSLR on it to image bright clusters albeit at F10.

All fits nicely into a low pro rucksack along with a Teegul patrol. Just bring tripod. Awesome views with an Ethos 13 mm :eyepop:

Reviews here
http://scopeviews.co.uk/TakFS60Q.htm

Now venturing into solar system imaging with the Q setup and an ASI120 mm with filters for something a little different. Easy setup.

Havnt used the others you mention though.

Just remember to factor in all the takettes you need when comparing prices. AEC has a setup chart for what's needed for the FS60

SkyWatch
22-03-2016, 11:46 PM
Hi Colin,

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, Claude also has a couple of ES 80ED triplets (demos) for under $1000: a carbon fibre version and a "normal" one...

Have fun deciding! ;)

- Dean

PRejto
23-03-2016, 12:16 AM
How about this one?

AT65EDQ

https://www.astronomytechnologies.com/astro-tech-refractors_c7.aspx

The focuser is pretty decent and has a builtin flattener if the urge to image strikes. There are quite a few very decent images taken with this little scope. The price is certainly hard to go past.

Peter

Hemi
23-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Hi I just ordered the es102 f7 triplet in Carbon fibre. It's only 3.2kg. At $1499 usd it includes a case and either a visual setup of accessories (high quality finder and eyepiece) or imaging (finder, flattener, hb filter). It's got some good reviews even though it only has Hoya Ed glass. And seems to be a good all rounder grab n go for visual and imaging.

.....first foray into posting outside the beginner threads: will post my experience for what it's worth once I've got it.

Atmos
23-03-2016, 09:43 AM
There are certainly some nice smaller doublet and triplets, the demo model ones that Claude do look tempting.

Fluorite lens' have better colour rendition and contrast from what I have heard/read but I've never used one so its hard to compare stuff. If fluorite is worth it I'll go that bit extra and get a small Tak or something.

Kunama
23-03-2016, 09:57 AM
The FS60CB is a great little scope, I used mine with a 3.5mm at 101x on the Moon and Jupiter/Saturn.

MortonH
23-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Considering the size of your current scopes I'd think a 60mm refractor would be too small. Although I used my SV66ED almost every night for the first couple of months the small aperture began to feel limited. I'd say you'd be better with something in the 75mm-90mm range.

Atmos
23-03-2016, 02:25 PM
I have a reasonably heavy duty Manfrotto tripod that I am planning on mounting the scope on. Handles my Nikon D700 and 24-120 F/4 like nothing even though it is very front heavy.

I think I've only ever looked through three refractors. An ED100, 130mm triplet and a $50 BigW thing my aunty bought a few years ago.

I'd love to make it to the Tak party but I have a feeling work is going to be in the way.
Looking for a scope I can basically have setup in a minute or two for lunar/planetary viewing for the most part. Probably hit some open clusters. Small scope for using in my quite heavily light polluted backyard :)

dannat
23-03-2016, 02:56 PM
a 4" or 5" mak will be good on lunar/panets -most have a tripod thread, are much cheaper but quick to setup -bonus is you don't need sub 5mm eyepieces to get high mag: the 4" pack small
the other thing you might look at is something like the regal 100 spotter, it takes 1.25" ep's also

Allan
23-03-2016, 09:11 PM
I was in the same situation last year. I narrowed it down to a TV85 or FC76 for something to use for travel and quick sessions. I can't remember all the reasons why I chose the TV, but the extra aperture, included accessories and lower cost were a few reasons.

I didn't buy the TV85 expecting anything amazing from the optics, but I was stunned at how incredible this little telescope performs. Far better than I ever thought a doublet could perform.

Mounted on a DSV-M mount and gitzo carbon tripod it weighs about 7kg, so is easy to carry outside in one hand. I take it to the U.S. with me and it's been a great travel scope, which is what I mainly bought it for.

PhilTas
23-03-2016, 11:05 PM
+1 for the TV85.

I bought a TV85, with TV eyepieces, from a fellow IISer last year.

Saw for the first time a transit shadow of a Jupiter moon (in less than ideal seeing conditions) with this telescope.

I have found it to be a very convenient grab and go scope on a Bintel AzAlt mount. Quality-wise, it's definitely a keeper.

hamiland
23-03-2016, 11:08 PM
+1 for the Tak FS60 with the 1.7Q module, it is a versatile and light scope as has already been mentioned. Capable for widefield AP with a DSLR. Also upgradeable to the 76 by changing the objective. As mentioned above, Q module gives flat field at F10, otherwise Flattener for F6.2 or Reducer for F4.2 if you're Imaging. Looks ridiculous on a G11. Also the 6X30 finder is magic!

AstroApprentice
24-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Another option for you: I can't rate my Borg ED89 highly enough as a travelscope. It's been on a few flights as hand luggage and at only 2.2 kg (OTA) is a breeze to cart around and mount. The aperture of 89 mm is decent as well - I had great views of Jupiter with a 3.5 mm XW earlier in the week at a Mag of 171X. Currently I mount on a DSV alt az, but plan to buy a Tak PM-SP EQ or a Teegul Sky Patrol for travel tracking.

Just to confuse you further - the Primaluce refractors now carried by Cris at AA exude class...

MattT
24-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Does this mean you have an ED100 Colin?

I can't see what would be better than the ED 100 for visual G+G....actually I prefer a long FL Achro.

So the ED 100....cheapish, capable of wide fields and high powered stuff with the right mount.

Thats my thoughts :lol:

Atmos
24-03-2016, 02:45 PM
I am swaying towards the TV85 but I'm not in a huge rush at the moment, probably keep my eye on the IIS Classifieds mostly.

I had looked at the Borgs, I got the impression that they are pushed more towards AP than visual use.

I did have a SW ED100 until a few weeks back. It wasn't a scope that I'd taken out more than a hand full of occasions in 18 months. Very nice to use but it is too big for my alt/az mount which then meant that I'd be setting up a HEQ5.

Still have some more reading to see whether it is worth while going fluorite or just good general correction. I am thinking I may be better going with a good doublet over a triplet for both weight and quicker cool down. Not worrying about AP so absolutely perfect colour correction is probably not as important.

croweater
24-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Hi Colin, What about the Takahashi FC-100DF at AEC. Bit more aperture, still pretty light. Roughly same money. I think you mentioned in a post that you haven't looked through one? Now you can buy one :) (I hope to one day)

skysurfer
25-03-2016, 06:41 AM
What about an ED110 f/7 ? Sold by Astro Professional and some other brands. I have it and use it as a travel scope (even air travel) an excellent performer for visual and photographic use. An FPL-53 or other APO is even better, but way more expensive.

AstroApprentice
25-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Hi Colin (and anyone else put off Borg due to lack of info),
Just to let you know Borg do an entire visual range as well as their extensive AP range. Unfortunately info on the web is scarce, outdated or confusing. Below are system diagrams for the old 125 mm range, but this will give you an idea of what is available for the ED89 & smaller OTAs http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/125sd/sysdiag125.pdf
Ted Ishikawa at Hutech will readily figure out all the possible part combinations for anyone interested via email - there are dozens of options and the tailoring/versatility is a huge strength once you know what you need. Claude at AEC can order them all in. Parts are interchangeable so it's easy enough to have both AP & visual capabilities.
I was nearly deterred from Borg myself, but I'm very glad I persisted. Borg are genuinely great quality scopes but could do with a serious marketing & advertising overhaul!
Good luck with your search.

Atmos
25-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks for that Borg info. When I had a quick look at the AEC website on Borg I got the feeling that it was even more confusing to figure out (in adapters) than the Taks!

After some more exhaustive reading I may slowly moving towards the FC-100DF. Using it exclusively for visual I don't need anything more than a well corrected doublet. Prefer it being lighter with faster cooling and not quite so front heavy. Can always put a W extender to bring it to F/11ish.

Still a little way off making a decision.

Tinderboxsky
25-03-2016, 04:03 PM
In my view, well corrected doublets hit the sweet spot for visual observing. As you say, they are lighter, cool down quickly and are generally cheaper than an equivalent quality triplet. A well corrected doublet will control visible chromatic aberrations in all but the most extreme situations. In those situations, I have found the aberrations to be at the margin and not impacting on the quality of the image.

Steve.

Atmos
31-03-2016, 08:04 PM
I have since decided to move away from strictly grab and go and have decided to get a scope for planet and Luna viewing. So, I am down to deciding between a Tak FC-100DL and an Orion Optics UK 6" F/8 with 1/10 Wave optics.

Tak:
- On the larger side but still grab and go, kinda airline portable not that I have any current plans on taking anything other than a pair of 10x50 binos on a flight.
- Cools marginally faster (15 minutes?).
- No need for collimation unless something seriously goes wrong.
- Fluorite, for its seemingly magical properties :lol:
- Less maintenance.

Orion Optics UK:
- Would not consider it grab and go, not unless compared to my 12" dob anyway :lol: Still small and light.
- Cool down is a bit longer but not substantial (20-30 minutes?).
- Has 2.25x light grasp.
- Has better resolution.
- At F/8 collimation is very forgiving.
- Not fluorite but still good quality optics.

I am still nudging a bit more over to the Tak at the moment. It is considerably more expensive but it is more portable if I want to take somewhere other than my back yard, has better resale value (not that I am planning on selling either of them). Has the "But it is a Takahashi" draw to it ;) Has a nice chunk of protected fluorite.

Ultimately though, is it worth spending that bit extra? Especially when on paper a good newt with a small secondary (~22% on this one) should out perform.
It is this quandary which has me wanting to head to the Tak Party :P

Kunama
01-04-2016, 06:42 AM
Not sure that there are any FC100DLs left, I thought all were now sold. I am using mine with Televue Binovues for planets, clusters and the big white thing that keeps changing shape constantly.
So far it compares very well with the TSA/FS lines.

Best to come up next weekend and see for yourself. You will also be able to look through the Monster Mewlon/EM400 combination. :welcome:

Atmos
01-04-2016, 07:29 AM
You're right Matt, had the current DF in mind :) Although the DL at F/9 does have some added benefits :-)

sharpiel
01-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Tak. Nuff said :D