PDA

View Full Version here: : Cheap DSLR's for Astro Conversion

glend
22-03-2016, 09:40 AM
At the risk of ruining a good thing for myself I will let you in on some excellent DSLR camera values that I have found. I have recently picked up two Canon 450Ds off ebay au (in separate sales) for $150 each. These are both working cameras, and in one case, judging by the high serial number and condition, had hardly been used. These models are excellent candidates for full spectrum and cooling modification, being that they are the subject of full instructions by Gary Honis in his filter/spectrum mod tutorial online and rcheshire's DSLR Cooling thread here on IIS in the DIY forum.

The 450D is a 12.2megapixel, APS-C sensor, with useful 5.2 pixel size. They have Liveview LCD screens on the rear and can be remote controlled with an intervalmetre or via Backyard EOS and other software control through the USB connector.

I run two Astro 450Ds , both cold finger cooled, one colour full spectrum and one mono (for narrowband imaging), and can say they are reliable, produce good results, and are easy to work on (relative to many models). If your looking to get into imaging this is a cost effective approach.

If your interested just keep an eye on ebay au or Gumtree, and you may pickup an excellent camera for a very reasonable price.;)

janoskiss
22-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Great tips. Thanks!