PDA

View Full Version here: : Tripod Suggestion

Hans Tucker
21-02-2016, 06:20 PM
I have purchased a Takahashi lapides teegul alt-az mount head and now searching for a tripod. I have seen this mount head fitted to wooden tripods but I am wondering if a camera tripod would offer an equally stable mount platform. I plan to use an FS-78 on this mount. If a camera tripod is an option any suggestions on brands/models that are very stable.

ZeroID
21-02-2016, 07:10 PM
I think you would be laying out some serious money for a good stable photo tripod, most are pretty flimsy by astro standards. Even cheaper astro mounts are pretty useless. I've removed the metal legs on a few and replaced them with wood and they work much better. Less resonance and they settle faster.

MortonH
21-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Been through something similar with a Stellarvue mount and SV80ED refractor (f/7). Bought a used Manfrotto 058 and it worked well enough but the thing was heavy and still pretty long when collapsed. It wasn't something I could just throw in the car (Corolla size) if the whole family was going on a trip.

Years ago I had a Tele Vue Panoramic mount and it was much lighter yet was stable enough for a 80-90mm scope, so if I was you I'd be looking for something similar to the Panoramic tripod.

The Berlebach Report tripod that Vixen sells with a version of its Porta mount is similar but I'm not sure about the fitting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016937-REG/vixen_optics_sg5863w_star_guy_alt_a z.html

Kunama
21-02-2016, 08:09 PM
I had the Report with centre column and it is a nice grab&go tripod.
The Lapides modified Teegul mount deserves something more like the
Uni18 tripod, then you will be able to use it for bigger OTAs as well.