PDA

View Full Version here: : Power supply, which do you use?

04Stefan07
19-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Currently using a 900 AMP jump start from SCA.

Has done the job very well, can last an entire night.

Just wanted to get some replies on what you use, how long does it last between charges and how much does it cost?

Cheers,
Stefan.

Eggmoon
19-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Yeah... I have a 12v 18Ah unit that has the jumper cables, air compressor, 240v Inverter socket on the back and two cigarette style plugs on the front. It has been used for starting a car or two when not running telescopes. Got it from Jaycar. There is a newer version that also has a USB charging port on the back, and digital readouts on the front, where as mine just has analog gauges.

It will generally last me a good 3 sessions between charges.

Am thinking of either getting a second one, or a higher capacity one, for if my tinkering around with the NUC PC works... planning to strap it to the mount and going wireless.

Geoff.

04Stefan07
19-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Interesting, are you able to share your idea with the NUC?

I have a spare one lying around at home and was hoping to use it with my setup somehow.

Eggmoon
19-02-2016, 04:40 PM
It's sort of been a bit discussed in another thread on here.... but in a nutshell.... strap/bolt/glue/chewing gum it to the mount... short USB cables to the gear... use a 12v to 19v adapter that I have for running the laptop in the car.... log in via TeamViewer or some such software.

Sit in either the loungerom away from the mozzies... or the warm car when at a dark site.... do it all remotely. Way less cable clutter. Much less fumbling around in the dark when/if I get it set up.

I have a NUC that the kids use for homework... so I'm planning to steal it at some stage soon and give it a go.

Geoff.