PDA

View Full Version here: : ISS Solar Transit captured today in Esk

DaveO
14-02-2016, 09:26 PM
A group of us ventured out of Brisbane to the scenic country town of Esk, where we captured images of a solar transit by the ISS. You can see the images and videos on the Facebook page for SEQ Shadow Chasers (https://www.facebook.com/groups/588116771347231/).

AstroJunk's image beautifully sums it up

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=830506020392498&set=gm.596640397161535&type=3

Dennis
15-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Excellent - well done! Phew, must have been a hot day as well.

Cheers

Dennis

Bombardon
16-02-2016, 08:50 AM
Great work, David and what an exciting project and a fantastic result. Reminds me of a few daytime group meetings where we observed transits of both Mercury and Venus some years back. But the pressure of timing not too important compared to this fleeting moment. Regards

DaveO
16-02-2016, 08:55 AM
Hi Eugene

Yes, events that last less than a second are new to me, and I now have even more respect for people doing asteroidal occultation timings! At least the sun is a big target, although surprisingly hard to find! :)

But it is a great "adventure" trying to do this as a group, and very social. I'd recommend the attempt to anybody.

Our next target is a lunar transit.

PeterM
17-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Renato told me about these last night. Wow, well done Shadow Chasers!

deanm
17-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Very cool - nice capture!

If that is CalSky you are using for ground-track predictions, can you offer some indication of the likely accuracy - i.e. was the timing & location anticipated accurate?

Cheers!

Dean

AstroJunk
17-02-2016, 11:29 PM
Thanks all, I even got a gong from Charlie Bates Astronomy project!

I've subsequently loaded a program called SharpCap which does a much better job of image acquisition, so fingers crossed for a better result next time :)

Dean, we did use Cal sky (and IIS Transit Prediction for Android), both are as accurate as can be and certainly within a few seconds in time an a few tens of meters on the ground. Our aim is to be somewhere on the centre line for each event to ensure we capture the event - and even better if that location is somewhere nice with a café!

Join the FB group if you want regular updates - there is a great event over Brisbane city tomorrow at 7:48 am, but weather is iffy.