PDA

View Full Version here: : 12''dob v. 10" reflector

alexm
18-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Greetings,
I've been looking at the 'SkyWatcher' 10" SW 252 Newtonian on EQ mount from My Astro Shop as opposed to buying a 12" dob, maybe Bintel or a Lightbridge.
My primary interest is DSO's. Can anyone offer a comparison in terms of optical/image quality. I know the cost is considerably different but I'm thinking that the EQ mount would lend itself more easily to conversion for photography than the dob.
Also, My Astro Shop seem to be a reputable and expert mob - any comments?
KWTS. Alexm

iceman
18-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Hi Alex.

If you want to do photography, then the 10" on EQ mount is definitely the preferred choice. The 12" lightbridge is a great scope too, with more light gathering, easy to move/transport, quick to setup etc, but I wouldn't think about doing too much astrophotography with it unless you plan on getting an EQ platform to put under it. And even then, you'd be limited to the moon and planets (and sun, with an appropriate filter). The lightbridge is also cheaper, so it really depends on your budget as well.

Bintel and MyAstroShop are both well respected, reputable companies so you won't go wrong with either of them. They both know their stuff and will give you the right advice.

I'd recommend trying to get along to an observing night or joining a club near you - after looking through the different types of scopes you'll be able to make a more informed decision.

Good luck and keep us informed!

rmcpb
18-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Alex,

Welcome to IIS and like Mike said try to get in contact with your local astro society and attend a few meetings and look through some scopes BEFORE parting with the hard earned.

In the meantime get a pair of binoculars (7x50 or 10x50) a planisphere and a red torch and start learning your way around the sky in advance of the big purchase. I did this for years before getting my scope and it really pays off to know your way around the sky.

Keep looking up.....

Geoff45
18-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I had a look at the picture of the 10" Newt on the web site and I'd want to give the mount a good shake to test its steadiness before buying one. Also, f4.7 may not be the best for planetary work unless optics are v good, collimation is spot on and eyepieces are good, ie expensive. But f4.7 would be good for photography and DSOs

janoskiss
18-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi Alex. If you're just starting out in astrophotography, you might like to go with something smaller. For visual, a Dob is great. 8 and 10" Dobs are more convenient and comfortable to use than the 12". I'm not just talking (trans)portability but also actual use in the field.

Re optical quality, I don't know, but I would not expect better performance from the EQ mounted Synta Newts than the GSO Dobs. (the dobs might even be a bit better)

If you get a 8" or even 10" Dob, you can later also get an EQ mount to put the OTA on. (been done with the 12" too but the bigger you go the harder and more expensive it gets to mount stably.) A Dob costs no more than a stand-alone OTA, and the convenience of the Dob mount is great to have, even if you have an EQ mount.

alexm
18-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Greetings,
Thanks for your replies and info. provided.
Rob, I have binocs. (Oberwerk 11 by 56) which I've been using now for a couple of years.

If I had been younger when I came into this hobby I'd have started in a small way, telescopically speaking, but I'm thinking now of an outfit that will suit me and will not require spending the pension money on bigger and better.
I have been along to my local astronomy society which is based in Wodonga but because of work commitments have been unable, up till now, to be a regular attender but I take the point that it's a bit silly to lash out money without getting as much information as possible.

KWTS. Alex.

ballaratdragons
18-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Alex,

even if you get the 10" on an EQ you will still need tracking for Astrophotography. If that particular mount doesn't have motors (or even one motor for RA) then it will be another expense to get them.

If it has no tracking, get a quote from them about the motors.

74tuc
19-10-2006, 10:37 PM
RE: "My Astro Shop seem to be a reputable and expert mob - any comments?"

Proprietor is the author of books, writer of articles, taker of excellent photos - definitely knows his stuff.

Jerry.

janoskiss
19-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Yep. Most recently, Steve Massey published an encouraging article on video astro-imaging in the current issue (Sep-Oct 2006) of Australian Sky and Telescope. He is great to deal with and always a straight shooter IME. MAS has great prices too and it brought much needed competition to the local market. You cannot go wrong with MAS IMO/E.

matt
20-10-2006, 06:43 AM
I've had different (not so happy) dealings, as far as My Astro Shop is concerned.

Am happy to discuss via pm:)