PDA

View Full Version here: : Zeiss motor servicing

ozalba
29-01-2016, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know of someone who will service the drive on a Zeiss telescope? It has a Synfa 1 synchronous motor, which may need no attention, but the rest of the drive may need at least an inspection if not a service.

Logieberra
29-01-2016, 05:50 PM
There are some hardcore Zeiss collectors on here. Why not do a forum search, and PM them for advice? I suspect that Gary Beal (gbeal) would be an excellent starting point. Good luck.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/member.php?u=42

gbeal
29-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Crikey, talk about throwing me under the bus, thanks Logie. LOL.

The problem is with the motor, or just it might need a service?

To be honest, I'd write to Baader Planetarium and ask them? They may have an idea.

If that fails, (and likely it will, but try), then look at the two segments of the motor. The electric section first. Most any competent auto-electrician can look at a simple motor and give advice, or may be able to suggest someone that can.

The second section is the pure mechanical side, bearings, cogs, gears. An engineer should be able to look at that, and assist. Re-greasing etc. This section could possibly be done by most handy-persons anyway.

Good luck.
Gary

Logieberra
29-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Duncan. You're in safe hands now ;)

ozalba
01-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Thanks for those suggestions, gents. Will move forward from there. There's no specific problem, just that the scope has been in service since 1978, and we're not sure if it has ever had much attention before, other than re-greasing, and feel we'd like someone competent to give an opinion.