PDA

View Full Version here: : Qhyccd Polemaster

beren
29-01-2016, 03:52 AM
Last night I did a quick test on a new Qhyccd polemaster, a camera and software that aids in quick and precise polar alignment.....some information here (http://www.qhyccd.com/PoleMaster.html#PoleMaster).

Very easy to set up and the software program was easy to follow. For people not familiar with identifying Sigma Octantis and it's surrounds it could be a little tricky but with the software it provides a overlay through one of its steps to double check you have the right star.

robulaic
29-01-2016, 08:08 AM
I found it very easy to use - much of the region is obscured from my location - but sigma octans and the pole itself are not - so with the help of astronomy.net for plate solving it was really easy!

glend
29-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Last I heard was that they had not released a Southern Hemisphere version, are you saying that there is now a specific Southern Hemisphere version?

garymck
29-01-2016, 09:06 AM
There is now a Southern Hemisphere option - I've just ordered one...

cheers
Gary

glend
29-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Where can we get them, the local agent doesn't have them on the website? Do you need to specify a Southern Hemisphere version?

glend
29-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Went ahead and bought one from a California supplier (Optcorp) and it will ship today. I notice that software verison V112 is required for the Southern Hemisphere support, and the QHY post on Facebook and in some other forums says it will be available as a download from the website but it's not on there yet. Seems existing stock at the retailers must ship with V110. How did the Australian owners get V112?

I did try to contact Astronomy Alive and Gamesonline to give them some business first and I did hear back from Chris but no stock held or local price information available.

beren
29-01-2016, 11:27 AM
I tried Gama electronics first , the Australian agent for Qhyccd products, but Theo said the product wouldn't be released until late Feb with it still being tested for the southern hemisphere.
I saw posts on Cloudy nights indicating the software was ready for SH users and some people where ordering from Cyclops optics in Hong Kong. So I ordered through them, took three days to arrive using HK ems postal service...nice. Would have preferred to purchase from Gama but wanted to get my hands on one while on break.
I just downloaded the software and drivers from the Qhyccd site. Also the manual kind of makes the procedure appear trickier then it really is.

glend
30-01-2016, 11:13 AM
It turns out that Optorp is now saying they are out of stock - despite showing it as in stock when I ordered it. I have cancelled my order with them and demanded a refund. Now I will miss having it in time for my dark site trip. I might just wait for now.

beren
30-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Cyclops optics had them in stock but I think it had a message on its front page saying it would be closed for Chinese new year, not sure of the date.

garymck
30-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Version 1.14 beta here:

http://qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?PHPSESSID=8i3f6b30jicv27s rd8jcuci6p7&topic=5198.0

[QUOTE=glend; How did the Australian owners get V112?]

cheers
Gary

Wodnas
30-01-2016, 10:57 PM
Wondering if anyone knows of these can be used with an Astrotrac.
Thanks Bob

beren
31-01-2016, 12:45 AM
Not familiar with the Astrotrac but if you can rotate the RA axis {in the instructions it states to keep the ra axis locked and use the mounts hand controller for powered movement} so the calibration procedure can be done it should be able to. You would have to come up with same way to mount the polefinder too .I'm going to try it with my teegul sky patrol and see if it works :)

Wodnas
31-01-2016, 07:48 AM
Thanks, I'm thinking this would work. Just need to come up with a mount. Might give it a go.
Cheers Bob

glend
31-01-2016, 08:53 AM
This product release is a real mess, I get conflicting stories whoever I contact. The advertising on the QHY website says it supports both hemispheres and has a screen shot of V112. Some US retailers use the same info on their product page. Australian sources like Astronomy Alive claim it is not released and the ones available and shipped from the US do not have southern hemisphere support yet. Neither of the Australian sources (Theo or Chris) have stock and won't for some weeks probably but they expect to get southern hemisphere support versions. Now we are hearing in a post below that V114 is released for testing. QHY needs to get their story straight. I contacted their help desk and was told it was not available yet, despite what the website said. Confused? You bet I am.

Dennis
31-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up and 1st light report Stuart – looks like a useful piece of kit.:thumbsup:

I was initially puzzled by the fitment on the front of the DEC housing. I just assumed that any device would fit on the eyepiece end of the Polar Alignment ‘Scope (PAS) and then take images through the PAS and manage the alignment process through comparing the “real” image through the PAS and a software generated overlay.

The configuration in your posted images suggests that the TAK PAS and Tak illuminated reticule are completely bypassed and do not form part of the alignment procedure Following the http link to the QHY website they confirm this by stating that a PAS is not even required.:)

Such a shame – I love the Tak PAS.;)

Cheers

Dennis

troypiggo
31-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Your questions have all been answered in this very thread. I don't understand what difficulty you're having in terms of purchase, Southern Hemisphere support, and where to get the software.

beren
31-01-2016, 11:21 AM
This link from the Cloudy Nights forums shows some pics of a custom 3d printed adapter to fit a polefinder in a OTA piggyback configuration.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/520902-qhys-new-polemaster/page-3

I'd imagine it wont take long for someone to market a bracket that you could purchase.

Yes Dennis the Tak PAS is bypassed and no user input of longitude etc just press the southern hemisphere tab and your set. Qhyccd claim accuracy of 30 arc seconds, using the Tak PAS it's 2 arc minutes :). I use the Tak PAS all the time and it takes me less then 5min to dial it in so its the greater accuracy that attracted me. In the quick test I did GOTO's seemed pretty good with stars pretty close to the crosshairs of a 12mm reticule eyepiece I was using. Left the mount running with a star centered in the eyepiece for half hour and the star was still in the box formed by the crosshairs with just a small amount of drift....nice.

netwolf
05-02-2016, 12:19 AM
I don't think The camera itself is made for a region SH or NH , it's the software you use which provides the SH and NH support. Initial software only had NH support , the versions posted above now have SH support. So I think if someone is saying the US or overseas camer will not work I suspect this is not correct. Perhaps what they meant was that it had not been tested in SH yet enough for them to sell it.

Eggmoon
10-02-2016, 12:04 PM
I have to say.... these look very tempting. The wife says I can't spend anymore money for now.

I have been sort of doing a manual version of this lately. In my back yard when I set up, I know pretty much where south is... but not having a permanent pier I am always off a little when I put the scope out to observe. But being close, I have been doing a 5 minute exposure before I turn on the mount, and looking at the the image to see where the stars have revolved... and having done this a few times now, I sort of know how much to adjust the scope by to line the pole up to the centre of the image. It's been working pretty well. The image shows what I see when I do these test exposures. So you can see where the pole it, and I roughly, from practice, know how far I need to adjust to bring the to the middle. Yeah, sure I still need to do some refinement... but it's pretty close.

But this camera says it takes 2 minutes.... 30 arcsecond accuracy... I am going to have to find the cash I think. I'm sure I don't need two kidneys....

beren
10-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Had another test last night just on dusk and I was able to identify sigma octantis through the polemaster, with the Tak pas I would have to wait until it got somewhat darker to use it.

toc
10-02-2016, 06:08 PM
So you think is will work well enough in a suburban backyard? I am worried that it won't be able to pickup sigma Octans on light polluted skies...

Eden
10-02-2016, 06:14 PM
The CMOS CCD in the Pole Master is very sensitive. It'll pick up Octans at a light-polluted location on a 100ms exposure.

beren
10-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Yep you'll have no problem with the polemaster picking up sigma octanis it's just up to the user to be able to identify it and its surrounding stars. As you go through the steps with the software there is a overlay that covers sigma octanis and three other stars in its little asterism and three more near the celestial pole so it should be easy to distinguish if you have it right. Also the polemaster has a decent fov to so if your initial alignment with your tripod and mount is ok it should be pretty close .

robulaic
10-02-2016, 08:43 PM
What I did was this - the software allows you to save a screenshot of what the camera is picking up (as a bitmap file). I converted it to JPG and then used astrometry.net to plate solve.

Although I had sigma octans in the field of view, a lot of the stars I needed were obscured by a house.

The plate solve still marked them, and with that information I was able to use the software.

Eden
10-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Tonight will be my third night with the unit -- the first time I used it, Octans was immediately visible from the moment I started the Pole Master software. Last night, after starting off with a more rigorous polar alignment via the Synscan software, it wasn't even within the cameras field of view and there was some hunting around required. Integrated plate solving would be useful, I reckon.

garymck
11-02-2016, 06:12 AM
Hi,

used my Polemaster last night for the first time. I was able to use it before complete darkness with the lowest exposure and gain settings. I live in a light polluted site a kilometre from the centre of a city of 250,000 people- Geelong.

I was amazed at how easy it was to use. Took about 5 minutes to nail the alignment- most spent reading the instructions on screen. Could probably shave a couple of minutes off this second time around.

Found my permanent pier mounted G11 was a bit off - and that was after a several hours spent drift aligning it. Never again! My dec guiding figures were the best I've ever had - almost no guiding required.

FWIW
Gary

h0ughy
11-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Gary,

how did you attach it to the G11?

garymck
11-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Hi,

I have a metal lathe so spent a couple of hours making an adapter to screw in to the hole in the dec axis (normally has an aluminium plug screwed in to it. Probably there for a polar alignment scope). I got an AZEQ6 adapter with the Polemaster and basically copied it but with a G11 thread.

If you need to make one, the thread in the G11 is a 1.5x25mm metric thread.

You could probably make a push fit adapter as an alternative.

cheers
Gary

Eden
11-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Excellent news, Gary. I found it was easier to do on second and subsequent attempts and apart from a couple of minor bugs in the software, the results are more accurate (and quicker) than what the Synscan alignment is able to provide.

Good to see that it'll work on the G11, too. Maybe QHY will consider making an adaptor available for that mount.

byronpaul
11-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Wow,

this sounds too good to be true.

Going to have to get myself one of these :D

Paul

netwolf
11-02-2016, 08:26 PM
David

If you have the mounting hole dimensions thread I hink Qhy can make you a 3D printed adapter. I am sure I read that on the CN threads.

skysailor
11-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Ditto....

RobF
11-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Bah! We are astrophotographers damn it guys. What's going to happen if everyone can polar align in 5 minutes without swearing? Its the end of this hobby as we know it! :lol:

beren
12-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Some pics of the software process, the first pic bit hard to see sigma octanis but easy to see live and was taken early evening .

h0ughy
12-02-2016, 12:53 PM
well i wouldnt be the only one - there is the eq8 and the titan and the g11

h0ughy
12-02-2016, 01:00 PM
oh that is awesome:thumbsup:

looking forward to gettng one with a few adapters:D

Eden
12-02-2016, 03:17 PM
If you're using the PoleMaster, QHY are asking for screenshots of the Octans region so that they can be used to make refinements to the software.

Merlin66
12-02-2016, 04:37 PM
When using Synscan (or EQMod) you can do exactly the same on a SW EQ Mount using the polarscope....just rotate the Octans template to suit by slewing the RA axis and then use the Az/Alt adjusting screws to align the stars in the little circles.

Eden
12-02-2016, 04:52 PM
This is true, Ken... but using the built-in polarscope is difficult to impossible from the suburbs, depending on light pollution. The resolution provided by the camera also trumps what you could expect from looking through the supplied polarscope.

Merlin66
12-02-2016, 05:25 PM
You're right, but being a Scotsman...just trying to save money.
(If you need the accuracy provided by the QHY polemaster finder then I'd assume you are about to do some serious AP - not sure this would be contemplated from the Melbourne CBD. ;))

vlazg
12-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Sounds good but i understand it is only good above 30deg latitude although did i read somewhere that for those of us closer to the equator, 12.5 degS, they will be adjusting the software for lower latitudes?

skysailor
12-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Yep - I totally agree - my view to the South includes my street light which could have been used as a searchlight during the London blitz considering the light it puts out :(
cheers

RobF
13-02-2016, 08:54 AM
It would be interesting to hear a comparison between those using a camera on their polarscope versus the polemaster. Presumably the polar scope would have to be very well aligned and camera mounting nice and straight to get the same accuracy.

The polarmaster camera has a decent lens/magnification to make this work?

DJT
13-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Did you get a chance to give this a go? Would be great for the portable setup.

Merlin66
13-02-2016, 09:12 AM
From what I've seen the "reticule" for the QHY PoleMaster shows the four brighter Octan's star pattern (sigma/chi/ tau/ Ups Octans) whereas the SW polar scope reticule shows Sigma/ CG Oct/Chi/ Tau configuration.
CG Oct is a 6.55mag star close to sigma - easily visible in the polar scope and/ or finder.

beren
13-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Yep thank goodness for CG oct, its my signpost for getting sigma octanis right in my polarscope :) the overlay template in the polemaster software yes show s the four brighter stars plus BQ oct {mag 6.86} and two other stars that are easily visible through the polemaster.

On my second go with the polemaster I did an alignment with my mounts polar scope {Tak EM-200} and then checked with the polemaster. It was pretty close with only small corrections to be made with the mounts altitude and azimuth movements.

Haven't tried yet with the teegul, got to figure somehow to mount it :) might be a weekend project and a trip to bunnings .

astrobin
29-03-2016, 05:20 AM
Eden, the G11 adapter is available now. I got mine from Cyclops Optics.

GaryPlum
02-11-2016, 09:46 AM
After too much imaging time wasted after poor polar alignment and subsequent difficulty with phd2 calibration I've pulled the pin and ordered one; shipping now.
I'm in the southern hemisphere and have a mobile rig. Taking it to Tassie for a month in December too so I don't want to be wasting time there!
Found this excellent demonstration video by AstroNZ on Youtube for us southern hemisphere folks. Will write my findings when I give mine a run after the next New Moon (clouds depending of course, it's been a lousy winter).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_LgUFZLqIM

VPAstro
02-11-2016, 10:00 AM
I got mine last Thursday, for my 51st Birthday. It took me less than 5 minutes to get a correct polar alignment, then a two star alignment, and I was off and imaging. It was great! I usually spend up to 1 hour aligning. I set up and pull down every time I image, and have placed marks on the ground to aid the placement of the tripod. However, over the last year or so, I have found that new street lights have been causing issues. I was too scared to move the location of the mount, because I new it was going to be a pain to align it again. On Saturday night, I took the plunge and moved it back, so that a brick wall would block the street light. Polemaster had me aligned and setup again in less than 5 minutes. I am very impressed with this.
Andrew...

LaughingBeagles
22-04-2017, 07:40 PM
My apologies for necroing this thread but I it is still very relevant to all of us newbies.

I have a polemaster and find it tricky to use. I think I will have to try the plate solve - I live north of Perth so when facing south to polar align I have to contend with city lights. I can make out the stars but blowed if I can work out which of the combo is to suit the overlay. Driving me nuts to be honest.

I know it must be so, so close (I do a manual alignment using aluminum bar, compass set to -1.7deg dec for true south, 31 deg lat for Ocean Reef) so I know I am peering up into the ball park but just cannot find the star to kick things off.

I keep clicking on one and slowly moving the template around, but alas..

Any hints?

Pete

Nikolas
22-04-2017, 08:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_LgUFZLqIM

A very useful video for southern skies

beren
22-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Try unlocking your RA lock and slowly move it while watching your computer screen and see if the stars rotate around the centre of the live feed. This should give you an idea if you are close with your initial compass/dec adjustment. If you need a hand I'd be happy to run through it with you, I'm only a suburb away in Perth

Kunama
22-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Check the camera focus, if it is out of focus you won't see the pattern and will most likely just see hot pixels.....

Phils Polemaster needed several full turn of the lens to get it to actually show stars instead of hot pixies

LaughingBeagles
22-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Some great advice and will do..

LaughingBeagles
24-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Ok, gave it another go and while I felt like I knew what I was doing more than before, I still had no joy.

Steps
1. I watched the YouTube video from NZ (excellent explanation)
2. Set up a sensor and telescope in Stellarium to emulate the pole master.
3. Wound the clock forward to when I would be looking at the night sky. This was particularly useful for giving me a hint as to what I would be looking at:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/BattleScoob/Misc/Polmaster.png (http://s178.photobucket.com/user/BattleScoob/media/Misc/Polmaster.png.html)

4. Set up the polmaster ensuring I had the USB to the right (seems to be the way to go in the SH according to most websites).

5. The following is the best shot I could do. To be honest, I was reluctant to fiddle with the focus in case I buggered it up. Not surprisingly, plate solving failed:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/BattleScoob/Misc/test.png (http://s178.photobucket.com/user/BattleScoob/media/Misc/test.png.html)

Yes, there are stars there if you look closely. Facing Perth from the North to the South I think doesn't help!

This is the driveway of my house by the way. If there was no EP, the Milkyway would pretty much climb up my drive.

Beren, I might call on your help mate. If that's not too much trouble?

Pete

mountainjoo
24-04-2017, 11:09 AM
The first step in setup allows you to adjust the exposure settings of the polemaster (duration and gain). Have you tried adjusting these settings? Judging by the image you posted it looks like you should try increasing the exposure duration (if you haven't already). I am situated just north of Sydney and have no issues using the polemaster facing south. I suspect it is unlikely that this is the source of the problem.

I hope you can get it sorted, it's a great little tool that really does make polar alignment trivial.

issdaol
24-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Hi Pete,

This sounds like the exact problem I had with mine to start with..........

Problem is that the focus for some units shipped is so far out of focus that you are only seeing warm pixels......that you initially think are stars.

Once the focus is set you will see a whole pile of stars very easily.

Also if you are using a Mac Book with retina you either need to use a non retina MacBook or change the App setting to run in standard resolution mode. This will then change the template scale to be correct.

Cheers
Phil

Kunama
24-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Peter, point the camera at Jupiter or Sirius and focus the camera on them first.
once you do get it focused the polar alignment patterns will be very obvious.
From memory I had to rotate the lens on Phil's camera counterclockwise at least 8 full turns to get focus.
I think there was a grub screw to loosen before rotating the lens.....

LaughingBeagles
24-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Ok, I think I might be getting somewhere. I bet none of you had your polemaster rattle when you first got it?

Mind did. After screwing off the hard metal outer cover, I noticed the lens had screwed lose - probably in transit.

Anyway, tightened off now so will give it another go tonight and will grab focus off a bright star as suggested should the tightening have failed to do anything.

Oh, and yes, that image was with adjusted gain. To be honest, with a loose lens, God knows what it's showing!

Will keep you posted and Beren, you are still more than welcome to pop over if you would like to (but happy to give this a crack first to save you the trip if you would rather stay home :) ).

Pete

beren
24-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Pete I'm back in Perth Friday ( working in remote outback NT), pretty sure Matt and Phil have it correct with their advice. If your still having problems PM your contact details and I'll get in touch :thumbsup:

LaughingBeagles
24-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Thanks Beren,

Will let you know either way. I suspect tightening the lens is a good first step!

Pete

LaughingBeagles
24-04-2017, 10:46 PM
Yahoo! Success! I had to refocus as suggested. I suspect I know what the issue was - I bought the pole (together with all the gear you see in my sig) from a guy in Alaska and of course he would have focused it for his elevation. I am only 19 or so meters above sea level so of course it was out of focus.

All good - thanks to you lads. Very much in your debt.

EDIT:

Here's the plate solved screen capture from Polemaster:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/BattleScoob/2042648.jpg

LaughingBeagles
08-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Just adding - I've used the Polemaster a few times now and it's getting faster and easier (primarily as I am recognizing those faint stars more and more rather than sigma oct fishing!).

Now just trying to sort PHD2 guiding after some crazy results!! (I'll get there eventually).

EDIT: Anyone notice how the image is upside down in the manual due to the usb connector being on the left (west) as you face the mount? Much prefer it on the right (east).