PDA

View Full Version here: : Summer Milky Way from Charlotte Pass

AstroJason
23-01-2016, 01:32 PM
Been a very long time since I have posted anything on IIS let alone being able to do any sort of Astrophotography.

I recently had the chance to get away for a few days to do some hiking down in the Snowy Mountains. Mainly, The Main Range which is a 22km hike. I am proud to say I have now completed it for a 3rd year straight! Anyway, during this time down there I also decided to try a bit of astro work.

I drove down on Monday 28th December, 2015. Then decided to stay until after sunset at Charlotte Pass to see what the sky looks like at 1800 meters above sea level! I forgot how long it takes the sun to set that far south during summer and especially how long twilight lasts! I ended up taking these shots at almost 10:30pm with the sky still bright in the west. I left Charlotte Pass at just after 11pm that night and it still didn't seem completely dark. At this point the temp had dropped to 6 degrees.

So here are one of the shots I got from Charlotte Pass that night. In it you can see the Pleiades. The constellations Taurus and Orion along with the Orion Nebula, Sirius and to the top right of Sirius, looking like a fuzzy patch in the sky is the open star cluster, M41. All rising above some of the exposed rock.

Click here for a higher res version (https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonwehbe/24524065136/)

Thanks for looking.

Jason

Astrod00d
31-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Thanks for posting that great image. It's a beautiful part of the sky, photographed from a spectacular location.
I visited the same area mid-December but regrettably didn't bring my DSLR. Now I have a good reason to go back there!

Camelopardalis
31-01-2016, 10:14 PM
Nice one mate :thumbsup: those objects sure look low from all the way down there :D