PDA

View Full Version here: : Absco pool pump shed - roof hinge?

bugeater
20-01-2016, 08:30 PM
I've got my platform and pier built for my Absco shed and the shed itself is assembled on my deck for now, without the roof hinge. I just looked at the instructions and it looks like the roof can only hinge to point straight up in the air. I should have paid more attention, but I assumed it could be folded over to rest on the ground.

Can someone confirm this, who has one? Plus has anyone modified the lid in some way to make it more... useful?

bugeater
22-01-2016, 01:13 PM
So no-one has put the lid on their pool pump shed?
Anyway, I've looked and I don't think it can open fully, at least not without things clashing or bending.

Possible solutions:

Let the lid fit further forward so the back edge of the roof lines up with the edge of the back wall. Allows you to attach the hinge differently. You need to attach the lid reinforcement about 2 cm further back than the instructions say to be able to do this. Unfortunately, I've already attached the lid reinforcement, so to do this I'd need to cut stuff, which I'd rather not do.
Use a different sort of hinge. There are probably a few different ways to go, but I'm thinking of using a hinges with two hinging points. I'm going to try this. I'll buy some cheap hinges and weld them together to make some double hinges. If attached right, this should let the hinge to articulate in such a way that the lid can be fully opened.

glend
22-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Maybe the design has changed over the years but I am pretty sure there was one of the early guys who had put in a prop to rest his roof on to the rear of the structure. The prop was a post in the ground that kept the roof from going to far.

rustigsmed
22-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Yep that was Richard from memory. think it was parallel to the ground.

rustigsmed
22-01-2016, 02:16 PM
found it

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=123368&page=2

bugeater
22-01-2016, 02:29 PM
The way the instructions state you should attach the lid, you wouldn't be able to lay it flat like that. You can only move it just over 90 degrees. My first option would let you lay the lid flat, but you need to put the bracing in the right place to be able to do that. Maybe the instructions have changed....

trent_julie
22-01-2016, 02:44 PM
I was able to swing mine 180 degrees without issue. The roof was horizontal at rest when opened for mine, so I had to make support structure (disused ladder) for the roof when opened. Oh and here's a tip: forget trying to use an automated garage door for a roof; amongst other things they need gravity to work.

Trent

bugeater
22-01-2016, 04:02 PM
The way my manual says to attach the hinges, it's physically impossible to open it 180 degrees without something bending. If I'd paid attention sooner I could have easily made it so it could do this, but it's too late now. Guess this should be a cautionary tale for others who are putting this shed together.

On the up side, if what I'm going to try works, the lid will be able to be folded right over to rest on the ground.

rustigsmed
22-01-2016, 05:52 PM
instructions could be wrong? everyone seems to be going horizontal? :question:

bugeater
22-01-2016, 09:43 PM
They may have changed the instructions? The way mine goes together there would probably be less water ingress through the hinge. I've attached the page from my manual

pmrid
23-01-2016, 02:56 AM
I was able to buy a very similar pool pump shed from Aldi a couple of weeks back for just $149. Keep an eye on Aldi's specials. These crop up every so often.

Peter

middy
23-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Hi Marty,

I went with the first option: move the roof forward so the back edges are flush.

I fitted the roof first and then positioned the bracing. :)
I also had to re-position the bolt because it was then too far forward.

I have attached a couple of pics. Just ignore the extra, *ahem*, ventilation holes in the hinge pic. :D I also used a strip of adhesive foam stuck to the roof side to fill the gap. Seems to work well. That wall is the North wall and the rain rarely comes from that direction where I am.

cheers,
Andrew

bugeater
23-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks Andrew.

Its a shame I've already attached the roof bracing. Your approach would have been easiest.

rmuhlack
23-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Great to see that others have embraced the Absco pool pump observatory shed!

As mentioned already, I attached my roof so that it could open 180 degrees. When open, it then sits on a support rest as shown (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=165859)

Here are a couple of images showing how I attached the roof hinges.

bugeater
23-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the pictures Richard. Too late for me, but it should help someone else.

I actually constructed my double hinges today. 70mm zinc coated butt hinges from Bunnings ($1.50 each). Welded them and have used 4 for the lid hinge. A pain to get the bolts in for, but they seem to work. Means you can open the lid completely to lay on the ground behind the shed.

bugeater
24-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Here's the hinge I made. Works really well and lets the lid be opened completely.

middy
25-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Nice. :thumbsup:

I like that idea. So you get to keep the overhang at the back as per the instructions with no need to modify anything else?

rustigsmed
25-01-2016, 09:45 AM
could be good for dew too if it is vertical :thumbsup:

bugeater
25-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Yep you keep the overhang. It pushes the roof back and up just a fraction when closed, but not much (due to an extra hinge in the mix). Only drawback I can think of is that in a really high wind the hinge could open up a little, but I doubt that could happen. I'm going to add some extra latches to the lid eventually just in case.