PDA

View Full Version here: : Purple Marigold Observatory for under $500

stanlite
19-01-2016, 01:25 PM
Well for my Birthday this year my lovely wife has organised my family to chip in for a Absco Pool shed for an observatory meaning the build process has commenced.

lucky for me I have a relatively good location to place it. Unlucky for me i have a easement across my backyard and various other piping in this location that prevents a pier being poured. So as it stands will simply place my G11 on top of a concrete slab with the shed.

Called up the concrete guy today to organise delivery of the concrete on next Monday costing $160 all up plus the $297 for the shed and I should get an observatory for under $500.

Network and electricity cables are already in location I had them run while the house was under construction.

Needless to say I am a little excited.

h0ughy
19-01-2016, 01:51 PM
one can think of many things with that obs name - classic.

good luck - you can build a split pier baseshort of the pipeworks underneath and not tell them, when you move later just cover it over and add turf ;) no one will know

ZeroID
20-01-2016, 09:57 AM
A well compacted base under the pour should keep it pretty stable. Might pay to pour the base so the top surface is slightly above ground level. Easier to manage any possible water problems with a skirt overlap.
Pictures will be required of course ... :D

Congrats on the build and Happy (belated) Birthday as well.

EDIT: Where the heck did the name come from ??

Somnium
20-01-2016, 10:17 AM
that is fantastic ! having a perm set up makes things sooooo much easier (especially when it is where you live) no more set up, PA etc. maximise your imaging/observing time ! i can't wait to see the results.

peter_4059
20-01-2016, 05:27 PM
that's what I was thinking when Istarted my build. $1000 later I'm done although the power and data did account for quite a bit of that. Enjoy.

astronobob
20-01-2016, 09:12 PM
I like the fact that the shed has come your way from the Fam members, great to see this done differently :thumbsup:
Looking on with interest ...

stanlite
21-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Update:

Well the formwork is in all that remains is to remove the topsoil to expose the hard base underneath and prep site for concrete on monday. Including running the cables back from the fence so they come up in the slab.

The second photo gives you an idea of my horizon ... slab site is due south.