PDA

View Full Version here: : Opinions Skywatcher 6"to 8" Maks vs 6" to 8" SCT

netwolf
16-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi All,

I am considering a smaller portable EQ mounted setup. The highest i could afford is probably a 6" to 8" skywatcher Mak on a EQ5 type mount. These are about the $1000 mark which i can probably save up early next year. I want a more portable solution with tracking to my 10" dob. I also would consider a older 8" SCT OTA on a EQ5 type mount. I am not concenred with Goto right now but more with decent tracking. Enough to nab some Planets.

I know people dont advise MAK's for DSO's but what is the problem with using a focal reducer to speed these up.

I would apreciate if people would also post Images they have taken Planetary and DSO with 6" Mak's like the Skywatcher or Saxon, and or a 6" SCT.

Also what is the current going second hand rate for say a upto 15 year old 8" SCT and what are peoples experinces with such older scopes.

Regards
Fahim

Dave47tuc
17-10-2006, 03:53 PM
This is not so:D My Mak is a great bright DSO scope. In dark skies it works a treat.:D With a 40mm 2" Ep ( those dob people with there F5 scopes can't use:P ) I get 1.5 deg. Very nice for open clusters etc. Use a 25 - 15mm Ep and Globulars are very nice. Also with very nice dark background sky. And sharp star images.
My Mak maybe only 6" and F12 but its one fine scope on DSO and Planets.
Sorry can't help you with Chinese type maks:shrug:

netwolf
17-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks Dave, Well you have to look at price too. The Russian made makes are up to 3 times more than the Chinese ones. Its only a matter of time before the Chinese made ones catch up in Quality enough to warrant the cheaper purchase. I am geting some mixed reviews about Konous, Meade, Skywatcher and Celestron. Almost all of them are now being manufactured in China or Taiwan.

Regards

Omaroo
17-10-2006, 05:52 PM
I think that Meade's smaller scopes, suct as the ETX range are made in China - i& if I'm not mistaken, the larger (LX90 & LX200's) scopes are all made in Irvine, California.

merlin8r
17-10-2006, 06:05 PM
The Meade ETX range are a mixed bag: The OTA is made in Irvine California, the mount is made in Mexico and the tripod is made in China. This is going to change soon though. The ETX is so popular that Meade can't meet demand, so production is moving to China.
On the subject of Mak vs Schmidt, at the same aperture SCT's usually have a shorter focal length. Also, it is more difficult to produce a big Mak, which is why you generally see maks go up to around 5-6 inches, and SCT's above.

Clear skies,
Shane

janoskiss
17-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Fahim, the Skywatchers/Orions are quite good afaik. My 102mm SW was a nice little performer for its aperture. I have been told to stay away from Saxon and Celestron by a couple of experts. Afaik, except for the new 180mm, the SWs take only 1.25" EPs. You really do need 2" EPs with Maks to get good use out of them on deep sky.