PDA

View Full Version here: : NSW informal Astro Camping Trips

Allan_L
10-01-2016, 04:06 PM
The idea of this thread is to provide a link to information for those around the Central Coast (and Sydney-Newcastle etc.) of any proposed informal Astro camping trips.
{edit: - and Dunk in Brisbane - you crazy travelling thing}

If you subscribe to this thread (under thread tools) you can receive an email notification when a new post is entered.

Trips are around New Moon (often pre to allow early start).
* Bretti just 3 hours north of Sydney is a regular destination, with free camping, dark skies, plenty of space, and pleasant environment, river swimming.
other further afield
* Caffey Dam (south of Tamworth, $5 per night, better facilities, hot showers)
* Gel Riddle Reserve (north of Tamworth, good skies, better weather - usually very DRY, free camping, basic facilities, little water, but close to Barraba town)

GTB_an_Owl
15-01-2016, 02:51 AM
anybody ever been here
http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/forests/olney

the Basin looks a likely spot
geoff

glend
15-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Geoff it is very close to my place, and I have been by there many times on 4wd trips in the Watagans. While the whole area is heavily forested the Basin is partially open. I have not stayed at the Basin, only drove by, but i know you cannot drive in and vehicle camp, it is protected by bollards/fencing and you have to walk in and pitch a tent but can park a vehicle nearby. As it sits on top the Watagans it will be subject to the coastal cloud that builds up against them. On the right night, it could be a good temporary spot like the Pony Club if you don't mind leaving your vehicle at the fence, but dodging the trees surrounding the area, the scope useful horizon would be fairly high due to the trees as you can see by the attached photos I grabbed from the Net.

http://images.everytrail.com/pics/fullsize/1766072-Basin_campsite.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RlRGyz3LXlM/VCg7EXar0sI/AAAAAAAB4hI/tPttZ4Eexqo/s640/JC__20101123_071506.JPG

GTB_an_Owl
15-01-2016, 02:49 PM
oh well!
that's that then

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
21-01-2016, 02:02 PM
I get my van back from the panel beaters today :cool: :2thumbs:

just a little electrical work to do and i will be operational again

the urge is upon me! :whistle: :campfire: :driving: :fishing: :stargaze:

just saying!

geoff

glend
21-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Geoff the next New Moon is the 9th of February.

The seeing conditions are pretty bad now due to the daytime heat build up, which is taking most of the night to improve. Hopefully things cool off soon.

GTB_an_Owl
21-01-2016, 04:39 PM
not particular about seeing conditions Glen

just a trip away would satisfy
(not the weekend of the 13/14th Feb though)

geoff

Camelopardalis
21-01-2016, 05:01 PM
I think I'm stuck up here next new Moon but after that who knows :D

Had a good couple of nights of seeing here recently (look out for my planetary exploits later!), despite the Moon phase, although it's only been 32 daytime and "cooling" off to around 25. Sounds like a picnic compared to what you guys down south have been having!

Fizics
21-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Hi Dunk, yes I reckon we are being punished here for having too many scopes ⛈��. Looks like the next few days are a write off too.

Allan_L
21-01-2016, 05:16 PM
I am keen to accommodate those specifications.
I am thinking somewhere around the first week in February.
Maybe early second week of February, or combination of the two depending on weather expectations (I don't like it Too Hot!)

I expect we are talking about a relatively close to home location like Bretti.

So to confirm, the intent is there, lets just watch the weather and 7timer.

sharptrack2
21-01-2016, 10:29 PM
I might be able to organised a day or two on either side of the new moon weekend. Have been trying to learn how to find things by star hopping and could use some practical advice.

jakob
22-01-2016, 12:56 PM
I'm keen too.
From the 4th to ? would be good.
New moon 9th.
Any takers?

glend
23-01-2016, 11:00 AM
I opened the door on the camper for the first time in five months and was delighted that there were no cobwebs or mold anywhere. Checking the electrics I found the reason for the reversing camera not working (earth corrosion underneath) and a bad connection. I need about a week to prep it and reinstall the batteries, clean the tank, toilet, etc.
So Jakob I am hopeful.

Wavytone
23-01-2016, 11:49 AM
If you're prepared to go past Tamworth there are a few spots near Ebor that look OK, off the highway.

And if you're going as far as Barraba you may as well go all the way to Mt Kaputar NP and camp at Dawsons spring (on the top). There is an excellent observing area for scopes BTW as well as power and hot showers if you wish.

Yes, took my scope and tried the watagans many years ago at a time when I frequently visited the hunter power stations. Didn't strike me as great. I found a fair hilltop just out of Dungog was a lot better.

GTB_an_Owl
23-01-2016, 11:15 PM
I have a leave pass for anything before the 9th

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
25-01-2016, 10:13 PM
only a week to get ready folks :whistle:

i will have to get my finger out :evil2:

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
28-01-2016, 01:20 AM
there is no need for me to mention the forecast for next week - is there

geoff

glend
28-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Geoff maybe look at the week after, from Monday the 8th, the new moon is in that week (9th). Plenty of darkness that week. Maybe the rain will have moved on by then.

sharptrack2
28-01-2016, 11:44 AM
:mad2: Damn this tropical pattern! My boat is getting more attention than the telescopes... :sad:

glend
28-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Don't mention boats, I have built seven of the buggers, and they all cost me more time and money than astronomy!

sharptrack2
28-01-2016, 01:20 PM
:rofl::rofl: But just think, you get your very own "black hole" in the driveway. Instead of photons it's $$$! :P

Definitely need to get away somewhere...:screwy:

glend
29-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Looking at the Extended Forecast for Gloucester it would appear that there may not be more than two sunny days (Sunday the 7th and Monday the 8th of Feb) in the next two weeks. Perhaps the 7timer has more information. It's raining up Bretti way right now according to the weather radar. May have to think about March and hope for a weather pattern change.:shrug:

GTB_an_Owl
31-01-2016, 08:12 PM
from the 9th on is looking a chance

geoff

Allan_L
01-02-2016, 07:16 AM
Now I am confused :confused2:

GTB_an_Owl
01-02-2016, 02:14 PM
you think YOUR confused!

one day 7timer says 3 or 4 fine days - then the next day it says cloudy and rain

what chance do we have

geoff

glend
02-02-2016, 08:55 AM
This morning Accuweather's Extended Forecast for Gloucester suggests that Wednesday the 10th and Thurday the 11th might be the pick of the days next week. That's pretty close to what it said a few days ago. The 12th appeared ok if you can put up with the possiblity that there maybe a shower in the afternoon. I admit I can not tell whether they are just using the BOM Mid-North Coast/Taree forecast data. As always ringing up the Visitors Centre at Gloucester will give you local eyes on the sky. I think whenever you go this month you have the risk of some unusable nights but the further inland you go the better the odds, as long as there are no national weather events moving into NSW (like the remnants of the cyclone in WA).

http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/gloucester/13014/daily-weather-forecast/13014?day=6

jakob
02-02-2016, 10:21 AM
I like to go to Bretti for a few days from tomorrow or Thursday.
Stuff the forecasts!
Blue skies here.:D

Allan_L
02-02-2016, 04:02 PM
I was thinking exactly the same thing too Jakob.
And I recall The Owl making similar statement earlier.
Thats it, I'll start packing as soon as I finish reading New Posts.

And Everyone is Welcome, - No Class Discrimination among star party goers here. :P

GTB_an_Owl
02-02-2016, 07:31 PM
i might be able to make it friday if i can get the lawn mowed on thursday
could probably stay till tuesday

geoff

glend
02-02-2016, 07:55 PM
I can't go this week. Good luck.

Fizics
02-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Not sure if I Will go this time mainly because of doubtful weather. I can understand those with vans wanting to go.

uwahl
03-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Hi Guys - I'm looking after the son's dog this week while he is in Japan. I also need some work done on the caravan suspension before I can use it again so will have to put it off till next month.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Ulrich

GTB_an_Owl
03-02-2016, 12:23 AM
good tent and a tarp and a sense of adventure is all you need John
what could be more fun
besides, l`m sure we could find you a spot under a solid roof if we had to

geoff

Fizics
03-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks Geoff, that's good a reminder of what a great bunch of fellas you are.
Some clear sky would be nice too.

John

sharptrack2
03-02-2016, 03:01 PM
The weekend is the best I might be able to manage. Work got real this week, and a day or two off is not possible. Not sure if I can justify an overniter with less than 50/50 chance to observe.

See how I go as Saturday rolls around.

GTB_an_Owl
05-02-2016, 08:00 PM
after a delay in packing the van, i will be leaving for Bretti in the morning

geoff

glend
06-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Good luck Geoff, i hope the weather improves for you and anyone else up there.

nobby2
07-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Planning a visit this Wednesday Thursday 10th and 11th Feb. Hope to find at least some viewing even if it's moderate cloud. At least looks like finer moderate weather and new moon.

GTB_an_Owl
09-02-2016, 07:12 PM
i got back this afternoon
refreshing three days with Jakob and Allan

Allan is staying another couple of days but i think he is moving closer to the facilities at the bottom of the hill as you go in

geoff

Rob Hamlin
09-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Hi Gents

Weather permitting, would there be a chance of anyone at Bretti over the weekend perhaps?

Regards

Rob

GTB_an_Owl
09-02-2016, 09:31 PM
probably not Rob

i think Allan will be coming home friday

geoff

Rob Hamlin
09-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Hi Geoff

Thanks for your note

Will keep an eye out for future trips

Cheers!

rob

Allan_L
10-02-2016, 02:50 PM
I am home now.
Hoping for better weather next month.
But it was a good camping trip with clear nights on two but with heavy dew.
And as usual, the good company made it a success. :)

nobby2
11-02-2016, 12:51 PM
In town for the day, then back to Bretti. Yes, very dark and clear. Just sitting and looking was worth it. Great viewing to 10 then the dew. Photography time.

Allan_L
11-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Sorry i missed you Neil. - (but the cask ran dry :sadeyes:)
If I knew to expect you I may have stayed on - but in a campervan you dont have the luxury of a day trip to town (for phone coverage or resupply). :(
Watch out for the bovinae, they are persistent and prolific (in both senses of the word) :mad2:

nobby2
12-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Thanks Allan
Great first night :thumbsup:, Dew about 10. Long day in the paddock the next day after a drive to Gloucester.
Cloud came in on night two, clearing now and again. Didn't use the scope.
Still a fun two days :)

glend
15-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Getting in early to raise a possible March New Moon trip. I am itching to get back out there and March New Moon week seems ideal: cooler for sure, and probably less crowded where ever we go - the April New Moon seems to be in the school and Easter holiday period. I know many of us missed out in February for weather and other reasons. So consider March; Wednesday the 9th is the New Moon, so that week from Monday the 7th to Friday the 11th seems ideal for those not working. The weekend either side could work as well for some. Weather permitting of course.
Interested? Location is up for consideration, just dark, very dark.

uwahl
15-02-2016, 05:10 PM
I am up for March. I haven't been able to come to one of these since May last year and I am so looking forward to getting back to Bretti. Here's hoping the weather gods cooperate. :2thumbs:

Ulrich

PS Geoff are you supplying freezer suits again this year - if yes them I am definitely interested.

GTB_an_Owl
15-02-2016, 07:46 PM
probably do an order april sometime Ulrich

geoff

sharptrack2
15-02-2016, 09:42 PM
I will be in for the whole week. :party: I have already prepped my boss and THE BOSS that I will be gone if the weather is good. I hope we can have a fair number of people out that I can harass and pester.

Star hopping to find something is starting to get annoyingly frustrating... they all look the same! :shrug: A triangle here, a triangle there, follow a line between this star and that star... but when you look through the eyepiece you see 10's of stars...:doh: Will be looking for advice on how to simplify without spending 100's of $$ on a GoTo or motorised mount. :lol:

Allan_L
16-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Hi Kevin,
Hope the weather is good for this one.
If you have trouble star hopping in suburbia, you will be pulling your hair out at Bretti.
It is so dark, there are multitudes more naked eye stars to confuse you.
What a sight to behold. :eyepop:

sharptrack2
16-02-2016, 10:27 PM
Thanks Allan,

I'm of the opinion that because I am in suburbia that I have trouble. To much black in between patterns for the FoV in my scope. I'm hoping that a dark site will actually make it a little easier to find smaller patterns like what you find on a start chart. Looking forward to trying!

I checked out a couple of long range forecasts and they are positive at the moment. Waiting till after the weekend before putting in my leave request.

Will be working on my 5" reflector over the next few days in hopes of having 3 telescopes with me for lots of comparisons. I will be hoping someone might want to give up a few hours of imaging or observing to answer questions.

glend
17-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Kevin, something else for your list: Jupiter is at Opposition on the 8th of March, there is no better place to enjoy it than a new moon period at a dark site. Not sure about the timing of the Great Red Spot transits but there would be a couple visible that week - through the right scope of course.:eyepop:

sharptrack2
17-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks Glen,

That's great to hear. I have been enamored with Jupiter and Saturn lately and try to get a look every chance I get.

Surely my 8" SCT should be good substitute for a big Dob... ;) But I might beg Allan for a peek through his if all goes well.

On a side note, I will be tent camping and I have read the details on Bretti. If another site is chosen, from your experience, would things change much as far as bring your own water, TP, etc? I can be pretty self-sufficient if need be.

uwahl
17-02-2016, 08:30 PM
According to Stellarium the times that the great red spot is visible are:-

07/03 20:40 to 23:50 at 34 degrees elevation
09/03 02:30 to 05:50 at 44 degrees
09 to 10/03 22:20 to 01:30 at 48 degrees

08/03 GRS visible only in daylight or below horizon

Times approx and elevation at midpoint of time period

Ulrich

glend
21-02-2016, 10:27 AM
With just two weeks to go to the March New Moon period, the folks indicating interest so far are:

Uwahl, Sharptack2, glend, and I think Fizics said last time that he would be going in March (to be confirmed John?). Can we get some more? Rob Hamlin, Nobby2, it would be nice to see some new folks out there. I realise Allan_L has an anniversary in there somewhere so no pressure Al. Geoff?

Keep in mind that April New Moon venues are likely to be impacted by NSW School Holiday crowds unless going to some private location.

Re the venue, do people have a preference or desire for a location other than Bretti? Other sites like Glen Riddle, Lake Chaffey, are twice the distance (or more) but may offer a good weather alternate. Closer to home is Lake Glenbawn, which I have used in the past, it's easy to get to (out the Newcastle Freeway and north of Scone) and offers cabin accomodation for those that must have that, and hot showers and a shop. Glenbawn is not as dark as Bretti (similiar to Ilford where the IIS Camp was held), having a lightdome to the east around the Hunter Valley power stations, and it is surrounded by hills that limit low altitude access (worse than Bretti in that respect), but it's no worse than the light dome at Lake Chaffey from Tamworth. As far as darkness is concerned, Bretti and Glen Riddle would be considered the darkest, with no possible light dome intrusion in any direction.
Be aware that Bretti does not offer mobile phone/internet access but you can drive 11kms towards Gloucester to pick up a tower signal if you need to stay in touch, or check in.

sharptrack2
21-02-2016, 10:37 AM
I'm good for up to an 8 hour drive, my main interest is getting some more observing time with more experienced people and evaluating my equipment. So as long as the weather is reasonable, I'll be happy with just about any location. Just tell me where. :-)

uwahl
21-02-2016, 02:23 PM
I have no experience of any site other than Bretti but would be willing to go with the majority. West of the ranges might have slightly less chance of rain :question:

glend
24-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Doing some prep work on the camper this week, replacing some old wiring, and I have re-activated my inReach Sat GPS messenger system (which my kids insist I carry). Starting to work through my checklist.
Still plenty of time for other/new people to get ready for the March New Moon Trip - all are welcome. Venue I am assuming to be Bretti unless weather drives us further north, or a better suggestion is put forward.:thumbsup:

glend
25-02-2016, 09:08 AM
The "Extended Forecast" for the Gloucester area does not look too promising for the week of the 7th of March, details here:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/gloucester/13014/daily-weather-forecast/13014?day=6

As always with this stuff, it can change significantly in the next ten days, so keep checking.

Perhaps an alternative venue further inland could be considered, but only if people are willing to drive there. :question:

nobby2
25-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Will be free from Monday 7th March, so will be on the lookout. :hi:

glend
27-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Looking at the latest extended forecast for the Gloucester area (see the link at the bottom) it would seem that this coming week from the 2nd (Wednesday) of March through the 7th (Monday) is looking fantastic for clear skies. Let's keep an eye on it, as the following week beyond the 7th is looking rainy again ( but probably too far out right now to be certain). The moon is not a factor for most of the nights from the 2nd, as it is rising later (at 12:30am on Thursday the 3rd) and later each day and just a waning sliver. Are people in a position to be able to go earlier to get this clear sky window if it firms up? I can certainly go then. Perhaps for some who are working it might be a long weekend type trip from Friday to Monday, but let's see how it looks on Tuesday the 1st. I am prepared to go up this coming week as early as Wednesday if the weather window is there. However, I would not want to go by myself. Sorry if this suggestion upsets previous planning, we are all at the mercy of the weather, and nothing is ever certain in that regard.

For the weather guru's like Allan_L and Geoff, what do your 'bones' tell you about the weather pattern coming up.

Rob Hamlin
27-02-2016, 05:25 PM
I could be up for a Thurs 3rd thru sun 6th Bretti trip - weather permitting

bit of moon earlier in wk, but good by the end.

Cheers

Rob

sharptrack2
27-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Saturday's the earliest for me. But then could be there the whole week.

Allan_L
28-02-2016, 08:30 AM
I am not the guru, but I follow the tips Geoff has passed on...
So, my "bones" interpretation
Weds 2/3 to Tues 8/3
For Bretti..
Clear fine days quite warm, low 30's, dry.
Sun setting around 7:30
moon rise after midnight, waning.
Clear nights, warm, high humidity, dew.
So around 4 hours good observing but Dew amelioration equipment a priority.

For comparison...
Chaffey Dam
Similar, slightly worse, some inconsistent cloud, humid, not so good.

Glen Riddle reserve
Worse still, hot and wet, more cloudy, with some clear spots

glend
29-02-2016, 08:28 AM
I have a family thing on Thursday so I don't think I can leave until Friday (am) at the earliest. Is there anyone else planning on going up on Friday or before? I know Rob mentioned a possibility, and Kevin is heading up on Saturday? I think it's a good idea to try and 'occupy' our favourite area before any weekend grey nomads arrive, which could be Friday afternoon.
For those that are unfamiliar with Bretti, we tend to favour the flat area down at the far eastern end (from the entrance), between the old green toilets and the fence overlooking the river; this spot is well away from the area (and trees) where the caravan people usually like to park on the north side.

Rob Hamlin
29-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Hi Glend

Im still in for Friday AM trip.

Cheers

Rob

Allan_L
29-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Not wishing to disrupt any plans already afoot, but just to let you know

I was planning to be heading up to Lake Keepit on Wednesday for a quick go look see, with John.

Commercial accommodation available and bush camping (suitable for tent motorhome etc and dog friendly partly).
Not so cheap, but variety of accommodation and facilities, and more westerly location.
https://www.inlandwaters.com.au/park/accomodation/lake-keepit/camping

THEN
Considering a Bretti break, later next week.

Edit: Change of forecast for the worse.
John and I are deferring our reconnaissance trip.

GTB_an_Owl
29-02-2016, 12:52 PM
i'm away in Coffs and Port this weekend

geoff

sharptrack2
29-02-2016, 02:51 PM
I'm committed to Bretti for this one. I will be heading up early Saturday, unless I manage to get myself packed and ready by lunch time Friday. Tuesday is my go home day.

Rick Petrie
29-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Hi all
I am tied up this weekend with a wedding to go to.
I can get away to Bretti Wednesday the 9th (new moon)for a few nights.
It's been a while so I guess the weather report closer will sway me one way or tother.:)

uwahl
01-03-2016, 09:53 AM
I will Try for Bretti on Sat but definitely be there on Sun am. I aim to stay as long as the batteries hold out - possibly 5 days. Look forward to seeing whoever is there.

Ulrich

glend
01-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Ulrich, we have ways of charging them. Your welcome to use my solar charging system, or the generator.
Glen

Allan_L
02-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Just in case you missed my edit,
due to deterioration in forecast conditions, we have agreed to defer the Lake Keepit reconnaissance trip to a time when we may better be able to evaluate the observing environment under good conditions.

glend
02-03-2016, 09:57 AM
The forecast for Bretti remains the same for this coming weekend and into next week, at least according to Accuweather. Days will be warm to very warm with temps of 31-33C nights 17-19C. Sunny and clear.
A reminder that camping at Bretti is basic, no fees free camp, there are two toilet buildings one basic long drop and a newer one which is much nicer. Bring toilet paper. Bring enough drinking water for your stay, there are two rivers there that you can use for washing/showering water but it would need to be boiled for human consumption but i'd avoid that anyway. You can swim in the rivers. Bring shade if you have it, ie a tarp, awning, gazebo, etc. :-)
Rob and I will be going up Friday am, Kevin on Saturday am, and Ulrich on Sunday, I think Nobby will be there on Monday, and Allan_L is a possible that week sometime. Plenty of room for many more. Don't waste what looks to be a great weekend to visit a dark site.:thumbsup:

wastro
02-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Just wanted to let you know that Bretti Reserve (in addition to Port Macquarie) has been added as a forecast meteogram location to Cloud Free Night - new Australian weather forecast website. Thread and comments available here:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=143413

Robert

glend
03-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Heading uo to Bretti tomorrow morning, should be there around noon. Hope the rest of the 'declared' ones make it as the weather looks wonderful into next week. I am purposely only taking one scope, the 10" f5 newt so I can maximise my imaging time and enjoy some visual as well.
:eyepop:

nobby2
03-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Yes, its a go for Bretti Monday 7th and Tuesday 8th for me. Looks good.

sharptrack2
04-03-2016, 10:29 AM
That's great Robert, maybe put a marker on the map as well?

Allan_L
04-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Agreed Kevin. :thumbsup:
But as Robert has not been back on site since posting, I sent him an email thanking him and suggesting the same (marker on map).
I also asked if some of our other sites (like Pony Club) may also qualify for inclusion in his site analysis.
Hope it was not out of line. :)

uwahl
04-03-2016, 11:34 PM
I still have hopes for a late tomorrow arrival but its looking more likely to be Sun am.

Ulrich

PS have started using Metaguide - might need some tips Glen

sharptrack2
05-03-2016, 02:29 PM
The weather is pretty good, hope people can find a way to make it out as early as possible. Seeing was excellent last night, good transparency until roughly 2am when the dew finally settled in. From then on, intermittent periods of haze and then fog around 3:30am.

Days are warm so pack accordingly!

Overall an opportunity I'm glad I didn't miss.

wastro
05-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Updates to Cloud Free Night:

Bretti has been added to the New South Wales forecast map.
Chaffey Dam, Glen Riddle Reserve and Mangrove Mountain have been added as forecast meteogram locations.

You are definitely not out of line.

Robert

Allan_L
07-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Many thanks Robert :thumbsup:

Allan_L
07-03-2016, 08:43 AM
I am off to Bretti today, as per original plan.
Weather looks reasonable for the next few days.
Probably arriving around 4.

Inmykombi
09-03-2016, 07:09 PM
I hope the weather is kind for you and all who are up there Alan.

Sometime in the future I would love to join you all again instead of working too much.
post some photos so I feel like I was there....

nobby2
09-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Here is the sky on Monday night. The dark shapes of the Emu almost walking out of the sky.

nobby2
10-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Allan and Jacob under a Bretti Sky. Jupiter in opposition.

uwahl
10-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Just back from Bretti - a super 4 nights with the 2 to 4 am fog / mist / dew the only downer for those still up. :thumbsup:

Ulrich

glend
11-03-2016, 12:48 PM
The Dew is barely dry from the March trip to Bretti, and some may still be straggling back. A good turn out this month with some new faces. Tired, sore, sunburnt, after six days and five nights, but it was nice to see everyone again.

Now turning to April, I had previously suggested it could be affected by NSW School Holidays, this might be avoided if people were to go before the New Moon, say in the period from the 4th-7th of April. The New Moon is on the 7th. NSW School Holidays begins at school closure on the 8th (Friday). The Easter Holiday long weekend is the 25th-28th of March, so the kids will have to be in school again from then through to the 8th of April.

The lead up days before the New Moon give good long nights with the remaining waning moon rising later and later from 2:08am EST on the 4th - thus not presenting a problem for most people.

Obviously Bretti can (and will) be affected by School Holiday campers, with some arriving perhaps prior to the 'official' start on afternoon Friday the 8th. Some Newcastle groups are known to move in on mass on the Friday to secure their favoured location. However, other locations are an option for April: Glen Riddle is one likely to be less popular due to the low water level in the lake, but is fine for astro campers.
I am sure we can squeeze in a trip in early April.

glend
12-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Today, the 12th of March, is the big Aldi camping gear specials sale. I was there early today to pickup the nice boxed tent peg sets with puller, and could not resist the Onezee sleeping bag - which is a good winter dark site idea.

Allan_L
12-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Just back from Bretti today.
Had some really good nights, only one real white-out (Thursday).
The swimming hole was popular, and refreshing.

Sorry cant make April.
Jo has managed to get some time off so we are planning to go away somewhere country NSW. (Even though, I did suggest Barraba might be nice to visit).

Allan_L
13-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Chatting to some of the friendly campers at Bretti last we, one advised me of a Free Camping Site that they thought would suit us. (ie FREE; DARK; Clear sky views)

Swans Crossing, up towards Port Macquarie.
Geoff (the Wise Owl) is often at Port so maybe can check it out for us?

This is a link to an info site that mentions it:
Swans Crossing (http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=608)

GTB_an_Owl
13-03-2016, 08:32 PM
directions

20. Merge onto Pacific Motorway/M1
63.3 km
21. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto John Renshaw Dr/A1 heading to
Newcastle/Taree/Brisbane/Pacific Hwy/Airport
1.7 km
22. Slight right onto New England Hwy/A1/A43
3.6 km
23. Take the Pacific Highway ramp to State Route 111/Raymond Terrace/Airport/Taree/Brisbane
400 m
24. Continue onto Pacific Hwy/A1
7.0 km
25. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on Pacific Hwy/A1 heading to National Route 1/Taree
187 km
26. Slight left onto Nancy Bird Walton Dr
1.6 km
27. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Laurieton-Comboyne Rd
2.0 km
28. Laurieton-Comboyne Rd turns slightly right and becomes Graham St
1.1 km
29. Graham St turns slightly right and becomes Lorne Rd
3.7 km
30. Turn right onto Black Creek Rd
270 m
31. Turn left onto Upsalls Creek Rd
11.3 km
B Swans Crossing Campground

GTB_an_Owl
13-03-2016, 09:49 PM
GPS

-31.608056 S
152.582500 E

elevation 90 M

approx 25/35 minutes west of Kew
some dirt road by the looks of it on google earth/maps( last 10k according to camps7 )

sharptrack2
18-03-2016, 12:30 PM
April is a no-go for me. Time at work and home are 120% over subscribed right now.

Have already looked at May and June and both are more promising.

glend
18-03-2016, 04:23 PM
I will be staying home in April too. My days of being able to go month after month are probably over. I will be focusing on getting the narrowband camera working.

GTB_an_Owl
21-03-2016, 05:40 PM
so on thursday last week i took a detour to swans creek crossing on my way to coffs

the 10k of dirt road took 17 min to navigate - scopes will need to be well padded to avoid re-collimation

nice flat area for up to 15 campsites i would think
large area in middle reserved for recreation activities
two sets of drop toilets better than bretti
about 3 water tanks ( non drinkable i would think )
no rubbish bins ( take rubbish home with you )
didn`t get to check creek out, but it is close to camp area
forgot to check phone coverage, but there was some signal in places on the way out
was 5 campers at the time we were there
tall trees might be a problem with the amount of solar panel exposure time

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
21-03-2016, 05:48 PM
next lot of pics

geoff

glend
22-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the recon Geoff, the horizon does look abit high there due to the trees.

Just looking at the New Moon for May, its on Saturday the 7th. Good lead up week to the New Moon, with no school holidays or long weekends to impact attendance. Of course Mother's Day is on Sunday the 8th and that will kill off the weekend for many. Still four to five days from Tuesday to Saturday the 7th could be attractive.
Re location I am open but I suspect some find Bretti their limit, based on recent conversations. Weather as always determines everything - unless your far inland, especially in winter.

nobby2
23-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Looks like this new moon I will be visiting my relatives and taking my scope to Gilgandra not far from coonabarabran. Will report on how things are up there.:)

Allan_L
05-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Greetings from out west.
Night 1 broke
2 Coolah
3 Lake Keepit
4 tonight Glen Riddle.

Sounds like as star party crawl 😃

Excellent conditions so far;)

Fizics
05-04-2016, 08:08 PM
A progressive star party......look forward to hearing more. Have a great time.
John

theodog
12-04-2016, 08:58 AM
A night at Glen Riddle.
Great spot. Quiet and dark.
Little dewy throughout the morning hours 'though.

1) Our spot at the eastern end looking west.
2) 6x600 of M66 from this spot (Cropped).

Allan_L
13-04-2016, 05:39 PM
It was good to do a comparison of these 4 sites under similar conditions on 4 consecutive nights.

Broke was good and reasonably dark, but there are plenty of trees around to restrict your horizons. However, the living conditions were good, with flush toilets, 3 day free camping, and general store across the road.

Coolah was darker, but I was restricted to the van park for camping and the rates have gone up to $33 a night for a powered site. The elderly locals retire early after happy hour, but there are not many places to escape the mandatory van park lights.

Lake Keepit this was my first time.
The western shore is very commercial. But the Eastern shore is VERY Bush Camping like. Acres of free space, mainly treeless (partly due to the low levels of the dam). For $16 you get isolation. With the option to travel over to the Western side to use their Hot Showers, Dump Point, and other facilities. I liked this place. Enough water still in the dam for swimming fishing boating and water skiing.
The night promised to be great but
3 light domes (SE; E; & NE) are noticeable on the horizons. Lights from the Western (civilized) side were obvious but could be blocked out by careful placement of vans etc.
But the worst for me was 3 big yellow and 1 white light due north probably only a kilometre or two distant. Possibly the Dept of Sport and Recreation facility just north of Lake Keepit. :mad2: Maybe these can be shielded out too. Sky was good and dark and may be a potential interest for the future.

Glen Riddle (near Barraba) (upper reaches of Split Rock Dam)
Water level nil in some places, ankle deep in others. It would be good to see it when it is fuller. FREE Camping, well maintained long drop toilets, non potable water on tap (good for showers) council mows the area. Gently sloping in places, very few trees, usually a few other campers well spread out. Only 14k to shops and good town facilities.
I had forgotten how GOOD the nights are here. DARK does not begin to describe it. This was by Far and Away the best site for dark skies, good seeing. No noticeable light domes that I can recall. It was the best by far.
This has to be a regular on our calendar. Especially in cooler months.
(Oh! One thing. There were a few cows around,but they are far less assertive than the Bretti Breed, and shy away from humans, and really caused no concern to us or any other campers as far as I could see).

I took a few daytime photos of Lake Keepit and will post them once I shrink them down to 200k. Or I can email to anyone on request.

[After Glen Riddle, we travelled to Moree and spent a couple of days soaking in their thermal pools. And travelled home vial Wallabadah "Free"* Camp (and First Fleet memorial site - very interesting) (*they request a $10 donation) pleasant big site, but the facilities are in need of repair/attention - damned vandals.

Fizics
13-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Allan, thanks for the update. Broke would be a short trip to try. I agree Glen Riddle is great for dark sky and cooler weather makes the days more comfortable.

glend
13-04-2016, 09:40 PM
I have stayed at that free camp at Broke, it is very popular with the Campertrailer Group and Hunter Valley winery campers. There is a big open pit mine north of Broke, honestly can't see how it could be that dark there, given the closeness to Cessnock and Singleton. I spent some time at Glenbawn Dam, east of Scone, and it was pretty dark there, just a small light dome to the south from Muswellbrook. The hills around it limit the horizon a bit.
Can't see anything local beating Glen Riddle, or even Bretti.

theodog
14-04-2016, 07:30 AM
Yep. Still there.
And I know a good dark sky.

glend
14-04-2016, 11:07 AM
I would agree that a guy from Coonabarabran should know a good dark sky. That's an endorsement for sure.

Allan_L
14-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Hi Jeff, long time since we last observed together (Dunedoo Jan 2010).
Yes. Glen Riddle ticks all the boxes. [Dark, remote, away from coast, FREE]
We will have to co-ordinate next time we are planning an Astro Camp at Glen Riddle. Its a good central location (last time Dunk even came down from Brisbane to join us). Keep an eye on this thread (better still subscribe to the thread for notifications)

GTB_an_Owl
14-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Soooooooooooooo! when we going?

geoff

sharptrack2
14-04-2016, 11:04 PM
A trip in May is a little less likely for me, Mother's day and all. Still negotiating... :argue: :fight: :prey:

June is a definite YES! I won't care where. Have new toys to play with.

Maybe the Pony club in May?

Allan_L
15-04-2016, 07:29 AM
Photos of Lake Keepit, Eastern side - Bush Camping.
Literally miles of open space.

theodog
15-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Grass is always greener..... Really, just nice to have a different horizon.

Yes, I remember it well. Thanks again for letting me "crash" your astro-trip.

I tried Glenriddle after following this thread. Thanks guys. I'll be keepen an eye out.

Allan_L
18-04-2016, 04:38 PM
More pictures after sun set showing some of the light issues.

Allan_L
18-04-2016, 04:58 PM
Some more of Jo's photo journal of Glen Riddle:

jakob
18-04-2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the very detailed report and pics.
Can't wait to check for myself!
:thanx::thanx::thanx:

glend
22-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Can't help notice that this weekend represents the "perfect storm" of astro camping activity: Full Moon, Long -Weekend, warm weather, and school holidays. I can imagine the packed free campgrounds, a good time to stay home and plan for the next dark site trip.

Less than two weeks away is the May New Moon period (prior to Mother's Day). What are people thinking? I am not suggesting anything, just asking. :question:

Allan_L
22-04-2016, 03:34 PM
I am thinking Pony Club this new moon. Saturday 7 May.

sharptrack2
23-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Being Mother's day weekend, I'm still negotiating a possible trip but it isn't being met with much enthusiasm. A evening out on Saturday might have a better chance of success for me, so I'm inclined to choose the Pony Club. The weather forecast for Mother's day weekend looks to be outstanding! More so locally than up north but still really good. Fingers crossed it holds up as the weeks progress.

Fizics
23-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Pony club on 7th interests me then I might head off to lake keepit on Monday for a few days before it gets too cold.

glend
04-05-2016, 10:20 AM
I see ALDI have their winter snow gear sale on the 14th of May. In the Specials are some very reasonable Thermoboots for $29.99 (page 21). They also have some interesting "touch screen gloves" for $9.99, which seem ideal for those of us using tablets to control mounts or goto systems. I won't comment on the clothing out of respect for Geoff's fine freezer suit line.

As with this snow gear sale in past years there is sure to be a big queue at 8:30am on Saturday the 14th.

Might be a good morning for a coffee meet-up at Westfield Tuggerah.:question:

Shano592
04-05-2016, 02:45 PM
I can vouch for the gloves, having purchased some previously. They are like the Ninja Gloves that you can get for working around the house, but with contact pads that allow tablets and phones to function, as Glend has said.

Also, I got some thermo boots about 3 years ago from Aldi. If they are the same thing now, then they are very warm on the foot, but are clumsy to drive in! Velcro straps make them a cinch to get in and out of, though. Very lightweight... I call them my Moon Boots.

GTB_an_Owl
04-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Glen - Aldi's ski gear is no match for my freezer wear - not even close

BUT - their ski/winter boots looked good last year - and at a good price
be interesting to see what they offer in the boots this year

geoff

glend
04-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Geoff i did not suggest the ALDI clothing gear was in the same league as your freezer suits.;)

GTB_an_Owl
04-05-2016, 06:44 PM
TOO right Glen!

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
17-06-2016, 09:56 PM
so when and where are we going in July? :campfire:

geoff

Allan_L
18-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Well, Geoff, ... a few considerations ...
New Moon Monday 4 July
Election 2 July
NSW School Holidays 1st July to 18 July

I am thinking maybe the week before New Moon (ie 27 June - 1 July)

the weather may determine the spot, and would need to improve significantly though. :shrug:

glend
18-06-2016, 09:00 AM
The Polls are open now for early voting, if you were planning to be away from your electorate on Election Day, so that should not be an issue.

Shano592
20-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Polls open already? Blimey.

I'm sticking close to home this month, so if the weather plays nice again, then the Pony Club will be open for business.

Probably July 1 or 2. We'll just have to vote in the morning...

glend
21-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Bumping the major topic (Dark Site Camping Trips) back to the top. I think it is important that this thread stay dedicated to it's subject and not bent into promotion for things/events covered in another thread. Just my 2 cents.

dimithri86
21-06-2016, 08:48 AM
2nd July is the Katoomba trip. Thought id mention it, incase people were already going to that.

Allan_L
27-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the bump Glen,
but in case people were wondering,
I am sorry to say I wont be heading any camping trips in the near future.
Due to my own stupidity, I had a bad fall over the weekend down steps onto concrete and as a consequence, am not able to walk any distance or lift anything heavy at the moment. :mad2:

Al

sharptrack2
27-06-2016, 08:21 PM
:doh: Sorry to hear that Allan, I hope it not too serious!

Get better soon!! :prey:

jakob
27-06-2016, 11:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, al.
No good for bretti!
I was hoping to get the ozpig going again.
:(:(

GTB_an_Owl
28-06-2016, 01:15 AM
well i hope you were at least packing the camper when it happened Al

drop me a line if you need anything - drive to the doctors or whatever

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
22-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Sooooooooo! a $730 dent in the bank balance gives "Mitsy" a new clutch and makes her more than interested in an August "run in" expedition

any takers?
who wants to go where?

geoff

sharptrack2
22-07-2016, 09:34 PM
The best I could hope for is the weekend after NM (5th -8th maybe). Bretti or closer.

Probably should fill the propane tank, and get a new regulator for the solar panel or a couple of bigger batteries... :lol:
Should have my new lights delivered and ready to go, new camera lenses might also arrive in time, will be able to get in some more night exposure practice.

Realistically, I'm a "maybe" right now, will know for sure next weekend.

Inmykombi
28-07-2016, 03:13 PM
I will be up at Bendemeer with Arthur and one of my sons on the 12th thru to 15th August. So once again I cant make it to Bretti. My Son has been pretty keen to get away with me camping again, so we have had the August date booked for ages now. Sorry.:(

Shano592
28-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Say Hi to Arthur for us. Long time no see.

Allan
08-08-2016, 11:41 PM
Some of you may/may not know that I have bought a property in Coolah that I am going to turn into my observing site. It's going to take me a while to get the place fully sorted. I've been there a couple of times in the last month fixing and cleaning it up. It's nothing flash, but better than camping. The elevation is 1800 feet, and the sky is very dark which is the important thing.

I'll be back there late Friday night on the 26 August if anyone wants to do some observing. I'll stay until Monday morning, so we will get in 3 nights. There's some floor space for sleeping, but it's bring your own bed. Tents and camper vans welcome if you are that way inclined.

If the weather is no good, I'll push it back a week to the following Friday to Monday.

Ask away if you have any questions. If you want to come, I will provide the address by PM.

Shano592
09-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Hi Allan,

That's really generous of you. Coolah looks like a nice location.

When does the runway go in? :lol:

I'm guessing that it would be a might chilly at 1800ft, and so far inland?

Allan
09-08-2016, 11:08 AM
I might put in a helipad. Yes it gets pretty cold there, but that's the price you pay I guess. Doesn't worry me anymore since I bought one of Geoffs suits, I'm impervious to the cold now.

glend
09-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Sounds wonderful Allan, congratulations.

Allan_L
09-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up Allan.
Definitely at the top of my preference list.
Penciled in on my calendar
I just need to see if it clashes with my (new) work commitments.
I am almost certain it will. :sadeyes:

Allan
09-08-2016, 08:24 PM
What do you mean by work commitments Al, you should be retired. There's far too much observing to do to worry about working. :)

Allan_L
10-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Yeah, Al,
I got bored.
Short term commitment.
From now until 30 September.
As and when required. :work:

Fizics
10-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Hmmmm so much for retirement Allan! I have been doing 6 day weeks for a month now, seems us old blokes are still needed :lol:

Allan
10-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Well Al and John, we will be there for 3 nights, so even if you make it for one or two it will be worth a drive.

glend
10-08-2016, 09:56 AM
There is a way to fix that - "just say no" or do it on your terms. How many new moon periods do you have left?

Allan_L
10-08-2016, 10:32 AM
I did it for interest, not for money.
But if bank interest rates don't improve soon, it WILL be for money.
Anyway, this will just cover the coldest months, when my old damaged bones ache the most.

glend
10-08-2016, 11:19 AM
Yeah sorry, it is none of my business.

Shano592
10-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Now we just need the weather Gods to play nice...

Allan_L
10-08-2016, 04:12 PM
No apology needed.
I appreciate your views, as always.
I would normally say something similar :)

Allan
23-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Looks like this weekend at Coolah is going ahead. Weather for Saturday and Sunday looks very promising. Not sure about Friday, but I won't be there until about 7pm. By the time I get sorted it will be a late start to observing anyway, so I'm not that worried.

Everyone's welcome for 1,2 or 3 nights. Bring your warm observing gear, because it will be chilly. Though I can put on the heater so those old bones can go inside to warm up.

Allan_L
23-08-2016, 12:44 PM
i will be doing my utmost to try to get there sometime over the weekend.
But I have committed myself elsewhere, so it is not certain for this month.
But many thanks for the invite.
Looking forward to when I can get there.
Al

Shano592
23-08-2016, 02:46 PM
I'll be there. Already have the Free Pass in the pocket...

I'm going to pitch a tent, if that is ok.

Allan
24-08-2016, 02:02 PM
The weather is looking great for the weekend, so I'm looking forward to lots of observing. Shane you don't have to bring a tent, unless you want to. There's plenty of room inside and it will be much warmer.

Al, I will send you the address and hope to see you there.

Shano592
26-08-2016, 12:01 PM
No, I'm happy to tent it. I'm just after the dark sky... I don't want to intrude on your space.

I'll be leaving around 3:00. With stops, that should get me there around 7-7:30, according to Thomas Thomas.

Hope to see you there, @Allan_L.

Inmykombi
27-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Sounds Great Alan,

I will check out where Coolah is and then make an effort to get there i the future if that's Ok with you.
Cheers geoff.

Kunama
28-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the spectacular evening of stargazing Allan and Jordan, Best one this winter for sure. What an excellent dark sky reserve you have there!!!
Great to meet Shane as well...
Hope the van didn't wake you guys, I had to sneak off early to get back to Canberra.

Cheers,
Matt

Allan
28-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Thanks Matt and Shane for coming along to the first Coolah star party, you are in the visitor book. I always enjoy observing with you guys, and seeing Matt's latest Astro acquisitions.

Tonight's looking great again, but I've opened one of the house warming presents, so tonight's observing will be a casual event.

I will organise another get together in a couple of months if anyone's interested.

Shano592
29-08-2016, 07:53 AM
I think I ran out of superlatives early on Friday night. Exceptional viewing position, with a magnificent outlook. Views basically everywhere in the sky, and a wonderful daytime view to the north / north-west.

And quiet. How's the serenity? All you could hear were the lambs in the next paddock at around 10pm, otherwise nothing.the only sound was the chirping of the tinnitus off to my right...

North and west views are sloping down (I think you could almost have seeing to +45-50 degrees declination). South and east have a couple of (soon to be remedied) trees. But the overall sky view was staggering. By 6:30pm, you could make out most of the dust lanes in the Milky Way.

Matt's arrival on Saturday was a welcome surprise. Great to meet you also. That home made Dob is excellent, and so quick to setup. The views through it were certainly worth the look. Heck of a trip from Canberra via Sydney. And to answer your question, I didn't even hear you pack and leave.

On the third go, I finally got a passable polar alignment, but for the last few hours I ran Alt-Az, and hit a lot of targets dead centre.

We were able to make out a great lot faint fuzzies, with galaxies down to maybe Mag 11 or 12? The Ring Nebula and Dumbbell leapt out in Matt's 18-inch Dob. They even had good pop in the 10-inch LX200, once I stepped it down to F/6.3. The Grus quartet was visible in all scopes. NGC253 was very bright. The Tarantula through a filtered 18-inch Dob was one of the night's highlights, as was an almost 3D 47-Tuc.

Thanks again, Allan. A truly remarkable location, and your patience has definitely paid off.

Allan
29-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Nice write up Shane and thanks for the kind words. You can be the publicity officer I think. Remember we did check out Polarissima Australis which is a mag 13.5 Galaxy, and I was finding a lot of faint galaxies through Grus and Sculptor, so we were doing alright with the faint stuff.

Last night was superb again, even though it was forecast for cloud. Three dark, clear nights in a row is good enough for me.

Shano592
29-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Publicity Officer? I thought I was the Demolition Expert, and Minister for Rolling Wire? I suppose I can take 2 wages...

I forgot about Polarissima Australis. Couldn't see it in my scope, but in the larger scopes it did resolve.

Allan_L
29-08-2016, 10:07 AM
I can't find an emoticon for green with envy.!
Casual job! What was I thinking :screwy:

Kunama
29-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Not to rub salt into it but you sure did miss out. I am still compiling the list of objects that we viewed but the Bug, Dumbbell, Polarissima Oz, Ring and Grus Quartet, Tarantula and M17 in the NPB, and my favourite 47Tuc were memorable.

It took me a while to get my bearings when there were so many extra stars visible compared to my usual haunts. The dark sky doesn't get any better.
The sporadic smoker and other meteors completed a perfect nights viewing.

On some targets Shane's Meade and Allan's Dob matched the 18 well and perhaps even bested it on Saturn and a few others. Tracking certainly shows it's worth once the higher powers are used.

Not even the -3C temperature could dull the enjoyment. Well worth the 1200klms round trip though I did not end up testing the new TSA..... Yet!

MortonH
29-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Only just came across this. Sounds great. Hope I can make it some time.

Allan_L
29-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks Glen ;)

Kunama
29-08-2016, 03:54 PM
If there is a greener shade of green then this will turn Allan L into it...
I only ever remember seeing one star inside the M57 (Ring) Nebula but with Saturday's seeing in such dark skies I saw the central star clearly and a second flickering in and out of view. Had to go to the book today to confirm what actually I saw.... The brighter of the two companions !!!

The central star at 15.8 and a fainter companion..... A first for me......

Allan_L
29-08-2016, 05:16 PM
OK OK Enough with the Green Meter...
Now I know Allan has a Sky Quality Meter...
So how did it compare on the SQM ?
Was there any dew? (I know you said there was ice)

Shano592
29-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Dew yes. Much dew on Friday night, that turned to ice under -2 degrees. Everything was saturated by about 8:30pm. The dew shields and heaters were cranked to full on both nights. The neighbour (Craig) had mentioned that there had been about 20mm of rain during the week.

Saturday was certainly better but still dewy, then icy (-3 on the Meade-o-scope)... I had a packet of biscuits on the blow-mold table, that kept sliding straight off! Very icy. I think Allan's and Matt's eyepiece cases caught the brunt of it. Allan's black case was white, by the light of the stars. A noctilucent case! My table froze, as did my eyepiece case, but being lighter in colour, were only noticeable to the touch.

Sunday morning was mercifully sunny, and the condensation of the night before thawed, then evaporated by 9am pack-down time.

Allan
29-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Best SQM I've seen so far is 21.91. It was around 21.7 to 21.8 over the last few days, all the moisture might be impacting the sky darkness.

I don't think it will be a very dewy location, it's just that there was rain in the days before, so there was a bit of moisture around from that.

Coldest temp I saw on my thermometer was 3C. I didn't think it was that cold, but I had the freezer suit on. I was surprised to see the dew icing up.

Maybe we can have a bigger group session in October, the weather will be much warmer by then. Plus the whole site will look much different by October with more room and better horizons.

Allan
29-08-2016, 07:07 PM
That's a great observation Matt. You get the observing award plus the long distance travel award.

Kunama
29-08-2016, 08:25 PM
I thought that the second star could have been in my imagination but I did go back three times to M57 and saw it each time. Checking with some detailed pics in my books today shows a star in the location I spied the fainter one.

(Just a sidenote Allan, those marks on the dew shield of the TSA102s turned out to be glue from the felt inside the objective cap, a bit of elbow grease and the scope is as new.... now saving up for a second TSA102S)

Rick Petrie
30-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Wow guys you are making me green now. We are hoping once we get back from USA and all is well to come up if that was OK with you Allan. We will need a break from all that has been happening to us this year.
Is access easy and would it be OK to bring the caravan and Meggs (dog)?
Sounds like a wonderful site you have picked.
Cheers Rick and Lyn

Allan
30-08-2016, 08:17 AM
Hi Rick. It will be good to have you home again for some observing. Your caravan will be fine, I'll have enough clear space shortly for a caravan park. Dogs are ok, the friendly ones anyway. I have Bundy there every time and he's a lover not a fighter.

glend
30-08-2016, 09:41 AM
I will try to get there in the future as well Allan. Sounds like a great place.

Camelopardalis
30-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Sounds awesome Allan :thumbsup:

I may beg you for an invite someday ;) :D

nobby2
31-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Great to hear the stories. Would love an invite to Coolah some time as its half way to Gilgandra, a place I visit more often these days.

Sounds like the fishing stories of "you should have been here yesterday!"

Great to hear that Matt (Kunama) was there. He was such a mentor when I was building my 14".