PDA

View Full Version here: : Weight distribution issue

04Stefan07
09-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Alright so recently I bought an Orion 50mm Guidescope with the helical focus. The reason I got the mini 50mm was purely because of weight. Putting a small refractor would have pushed the limit of weight on my mount so wanted something small.

Now the issue I am having is because the guidescope can only be mounted on the side like the finderscope I am unable to balance the mount.

I know my 6" RCA has some screws at the top to add an additional dovetail but all I would need is to mount the guidescope on the front end or rear end on top of the OTA.

Is there an adapter out there that can do this or would I need to get something custom made?

Any help appreciated!

Stefan.

glend
09-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Put the top rail on the scope, it will stiffen it up and provide a way to mount the guidescope..

04Stefan07
09-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Which top rail?

It didn't come with any other type of dovetail.

glend
09-01-2016, 06:11 PM
I believe that the RC06 has a top rail available. The tube is tapped for the curved top rail. Those two screws on top at either end is where the top rail attaches. Ring Luke at Andrews tell him your problem and ask him about the top dovetail for an RC06, their part number FF598; it is on the Andrews website on the GSO section down near the bottom under GSO Special Adaptors. It is listed as $59. You may need a Vixen rail puck to attach your guidescope to.

I have attached a photo of my top rail on my RC08 to show you what it should look like (shorter of course to fit the RC06 tube).

jenchris
09-01-2016, 06:58 PM
I use a very lightweight red dot.
It doesn't need counterbalance.

Chris85
10-01-2016, 02:07 AM
Hi Stefan, you need to grab yourself the top rail. It'll solve all your problems! It did with mine when I had it :-)
I may still have a spare rail in my bits box if you want it?

04Stefan07
10-01-2016, 08:12 AM
That's a great setup there mate!

04Stefan07
10-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Thank you for all the replies everyone!

I have decided that although this Astrograph is a fantastic scope it really isn't the scope for me. I need a combination of both visual and the ability to take photos with it.

Looking to sell so keep an eye out for it on here :D