PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade 12" GPS Surgery

NewMoon
07-01-2016, 10:31 AM
When I bought the Meade I assumed that the OTA would come off the mount because "all" scopes can be broken down into 3 major parts.
All except Meade!

I'm thinking of removing the OTA - because it's a good thing.
Buying a Skywatcher EQ6 - because it's not attached to anything.
Mounting the EQ6 on the Meade giant tripod - because it's a very stable tripod.
Scrapping the Meade forks and Skywatcher tripod - because nobody would want them.

That way I end up with a reasonable scope that can be broken down into three parts for storage & transport.

Can anyone think of a better solution to the forks + OTA problem?
(I have seen instructions on separating the OTA from the forks and unforking / forking / unforking isn't a viable option.)
Bill

PeterM
07-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Not so sure that EQ6 is right mount for this scope due to mount capacity when you start adding on all the other "stuff" if imaging. I use my 12 on an EQ8 and its works perfect even takes a 14. I have heard that for visual you can get away with 12 on an EQ6 but never seen one setup.
If you do then don't scrap the forks and base as the electronics can make for good replacements for someone and will return you some $. EQ6 tripod gotta be wanted by someone.
Peter

Merlin66
07-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Bill,
I've have various Meade SCT's over the years, including the 12".
The 12" OTA weighs in at just over 17Kg - much too heavy for the NEQ6pro (which I also have)
Deforking/ Re forking is very straight forward and easily done. I have a brief write up available if needed.
In the end I sold the 12" and bought a C11 instead. It fits nicely on the NEQ6 with all the spectroscope gear etc etc.

NewMoon
07-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks Peter, the 6 was just a guess, I certainly don't want something marginal.
Thanks Merlin, yes the best is to do what you did, sell and buy something else.
New is too expensive and perhaps a used one might be too.
I thought a new mount was the simplest and cheapest, it would then give me time to see if anyone wants the leftovers before I get sick of falling over them and scrap them.
You say "Deforking/ Re forking is very straight forward and easily done."
Do you mean it could be used to store them individually, then take them away, mount the forks on the tripod, then attach the scope to the mounted forks?

Merlin66
07-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Bill,
Hmmm No, not really. You have to release the fork arms from the base to extract the OTA.
The only "similar" arrangement (ie OTA dropping out of the forks with location pins etc.) was the original C14.