PDA

View Full Version here: : Polar Alignment 全cope (PAS) Right Angle Finder (RAF) for Tak and others

Dennis
04-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Has anyone used one of these (http://www.kkohki.com/English/kkohkiparts.html#Polar V).

"POLAR V easy right angle viewer for Takahashi EM200, NJP and EM400 Polar Scopes

POLAR V2 easy right angle viewer for Vixen GP to SX generation Polar Scopes. Also fits Celestron CG-5 Polar Scope

Now no more neck strain, laying on the ground or crossed eyeballs when polar aligning your Takahashi EM200, NJP or EM 400 mount. And also available is the Polar V2 for Vixen polar scopes compatible version, spanning the GP/GPD/GPs/DPDs and SX series mounts. And Polar V2 is also compatible with the Celestron CG-5 polar scope.

Created at the request of one of our older customers, the new POLAR V (V = vertical) incorporates a specially designed adapter that slides over the TAK polar scope housing, placing either a Nikon DR-5 right angle camera angle finder, or our own orignal "ERA" right angle finder, at the exit pupil of the TAK polar scope. And with the proliferation of Vixen and Celestron VW and CGEM mounts, we now provide the Polar V2 to mate wth these mounts.

The view of the polar scope pattern through either angle finder is clear, bright and easy to see. Viewing and making alignment adjustments while looking down into the right angle finder, insteads of upward at an awkward angle, with the attendant neck strain, holding one`s breath etc., not only is an easier alignment obtained but that alignment is effected faster and with more precision."

It looks like a custom made flange that holds a Nikon RAF so that the user can look through the PAS without having to grovel on the ground and crick their neck.

I guess the next iteration would be a webcam so that you can view the PAS FOV on the computer screen and make the various adjustments.

http://www.kkohki.com/English/kkohkiparts.html#Polar V

Cheers

Dennis

beren
06-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Hi Dennis yeah I saw this mentioned on the CN forums a few months ago. I brought one but yet to try it, Barry from KKohi was great and the items arrived very quickly. I got the nikon raf through them as well which has a 2x setting which should be nice.

Dennis
07-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Thanks Stuart, I appreciate your feedback.

I had a go at making a test model to see if it would be useful to me from a light polluted Brisbane suburb. Using the naked Tak PAS I can just get the right balance between the (adjustable) brightness of the PAS illuminated Reticule and using averted vision to see Sigma Octans.

When I fitted the prototype adapter and Pentax RAF I couldn稚 reliably make out Sigma Octans as it is only mag 5.2.:(

If I were at a dark sky site or in the N hemisphere and had Polaris, I would defiantly purchase of one these to assist with polar alignment, it would make the job so much easier.

Incidentally, have you seen this Polar Scope Aign Pro IOS App for the Tak EM200/400 (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/polar-scope-align-pro/id970161373?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2)and other mounts?

Cheers

Dennis

beren
23-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Hi Dennis still haven't tried the RAF gear yet....nice work on your prototype.

When I use the Tak pas I use a clone replica of your nifty compass and offset wood platform to set the tripod which usually gets sig oct in the polar scopes FOV. From my place I have the pas light off until I find the star which helps to locate it.

Don't know if you have seen the new Qhyccd Polefinder camera but it looks pretty good {I saw it on the online astronomy tech magazine}. It attachs to the EM-200's RA polar scope opening using a screw in adapter and uses some plate solving software to help dial in correct mount movements for polar alignment.