PDA

View Full Version here: : Mallincam all sky camera

Somnium
04-01-2016, 09:31 AM
Has anyone used the mallincam all sky camera? It seems like this is the cheapest dedicated all sky camera on the market so I just wanted to get some thoughts. It appears that the only outputs provided are rca, does this mean you need a rca to usb converter if you want to use it on a computer ?

ZeroID
04-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Why not look at one of the ZWO models ?
They are USB and come with a suitable lens supplied. Cheaper than going mallincam plus more equipment to convert. Also more reliable, less to go wrong.

Somnium
04-01-2016, 07:32 PM
yeah i know, i have been back and forth on this one, the only thing with the ZWO is that i cant set it up to just run as a ASK, having it automatically compensate for day and night settings (that i am aware of) the Mallincam is a similar price and it is a dedicated ASK. i can be sold either way, i just dont want to spend 1300 on the orion or Starlight express versions.

ZeroID
05-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Wouldn't the 'Auto' mode in some of the regular camera apps do that ? AmCap or Sharp Cap for example. Haven't looked seriously into the choices on FireCapture too much.
Maybe something like security camera software with movement capture or timed elapsed exposure settings.

Somnium
05-01-2016, 10:05 AM
just been spending some time looking at firecapture and Sharp cap, they will look like they will do the job. i had a look at the dummy security cameras at jay car and that will house it just fine. the only other issue i would have to deal with is dew.

Somnium
05-01-2016, 06:03 PM
done ZWO ordered ! :)

ZeroID
05-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Which one ? They have a few now.

I'm interested in the cooled 174 colour. I think.:question: Mono just seems so hard to get my head around.

Somnium
05-01-2016, 06:14 PM
just the 120 colour USB 2. no need for anything high end, i just need to see the cloud cover etc :)