PDA

View Full Version here: : I broke my belt modded EQ6 Pro!

Atmos
29-12-2015, 11:27 PM
It is a bit of an exaggeration I suppose but it isn't working properly now so therefore it is broken!
Over the last month or two I have been having more and more trouble keeping round stars, have not been sure whether it is due to differential flexure of my guide scope, the warmer months bringing greater temperature differentials or if the internals have just needed a bit of a spring clean.

Last week I was watching my guide graph in PHD and I was noticing some random 4-5" peak jumps. Unsure whether they've always been there or if they are new, for me this put a tick in the "spring clean" box.

I am for forth owner of this mount, don't know anything about the first, the second greased it not too long before selling it to the third who belt modded it and used it a couple of times over 12-24 months. Figured it may need a little TLC.

I pulled the shafts and bearing out, they looked like they were still well greased and potentially with better grease than I had on hand so I left everything the way it was. I tried and failing to get a look at the worm gears, failed meaning that I had failed to realise that the belts were stopping me from getting into the RA and DEC gear areas ;)

So I have since put it all back together, realigned gear housings with the tiny hex bolts so that everything meshes together without any nasty grinding. Did 360° slews inside to double check that there was no funny noises, took about 45 minutes to get it all slewing with good meshing. Mostly just wanted to get rid of the tiny bit of wobble in the RA axis that I had introduced.

Set the scope out tonight, got it all ready to go, pointed it at Canopus to get focus (it got as close as it usually would considering that I roughly eyeball parked position). Then... Star trails in 2 second exposures, didn't take long before Canopus was out of frame. I could hear that the motor was tracking but the mount wasn't tracking with the sky!

So, my plan after work tomorrow is to do a full mount deconstruction, remove the gears and belts and everything. I am thinking that I may have, in my absolute lack of know how with what I was doing, stretched the belts. It slews and moves perfectly fine when everything is moving quick but if the belts are not as taught then it may just be taking AGES to pick up the slack as it were.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?
Considering that it only appears to effect the sidereal tracking rate, I figure it has to be something small. Won't really have an idea of what it looks like inside the RA and DEC worm drives until tomorrow but any suggestions are most welcome :)

jenchris
30-12-2015, 12:23 AM
Slipping clutches, maybe the grease got away from the correct areas.
I don't think the belts stretch, but they may be slack- I don't think they could be that slack though

glend
30-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Loose belts have the potential to jump teeth on the drive gear, and if there is grease on them that is bad. Keep the belts grease free and clean the drive gear at the motor end. Also watch out for worm gear binding - this is controlled by the end bearing tension. Belts have been known to bind against the case in certain places as well. Re the clutches, the clutch pads only push on the cylinder in one place so keep that part of the cylinder clean and free of grease.
Download the Rowan Engineering pdf file on the installation and setup process for the belt kit (assuming it is the Rowan one), and go through the alignment and setup to check yours.

Good luck.

Atmos
30-12-2015, 02:43 PM
From what I can tell, crisis averted. When starting the strip down I started by taking the face plate off and... Well I feel like SUCH an IDIOT but I had the RA and DEC motors plugged into the wrong sockets! Plugged them into the correct sockets and took the mount outside with my solar scope. Did a "fake" one star align and it kept the sun in view for ~15 minutes. Better than the minute or so I would have achieved last night.

The motors being incorrect didn't seem the likely culprit considering that it slewed to within a few degrees of Canopus from start up which is normal for me as I am usually about 150 arcmin off PA anyway. It must have just been the perfect star to keep my guessing as to what the problem was. No wonder 2 second subs were blurred, moving at sidereal speed in DEC while the sky moved normally in RA :lol: I guess I won't really know how it is going until I can get outside at night and see how it really performs.

Not the clutches I meant hehe Was referring to the worm drives :)

When I first put it back together I didn't even know about needing to move the gear blocks (had heavy and noisy binding), quick google search pointed me in the correct direction :)

creeker
31-12-2015, 02:33 AM
Hello Colin
Good to hear you worked out your problems with the EQ6. Which of your scopes do you use on the EQ6? Will it handle your 10"?
Thanks and Happy New Year
Ed

Atmos
31-12-2015, 07:22 AM
I use the refractor which only weighs about 9-10kg. Not sure what the 10" weighs on its own but it is still fork mounted so I use it for visual use.