PDA

View Full Version here: : Using the NexStar 6/8SE mount / observation planning

Solanum
29-12-2015, 04:01 PM
I was wondering how other owners find stuff using the NexStar hand controller/mount? The database of named objects doesn't seem too great and is very N hemisphere centric (tour mode is hopeless). When I had an AN it was easy to find anything you could think of, not so with this controller. Any tips?

In relation to that, I think with this set-up, observation planning is probably going to be more necessary than I used to bother with. I usually observe for relative short times (couple of hours) and relative short notice (same day) and not that often (maybe once a month due to combination of work/family commitments and weather). Anyone have suggestions/tips for (minimal) planning to make the most of my time?

Thanks!

Camelopardalis
30-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Everard, do you use a smart phone / tablet / computer? If so, look into one of the control solutions such as SkyFi. They connect to the handset through the port on the bottom and once you've done your initial star alignment you can use an app such as SkySafari to browse and goto objects.

MortonH
30-12-2015, 01:53 PM
For unplanned observing sessions I use Sky Safari on my tablet to see what objects are around then go and look at them in the scope. I don't have GOTO on my mount but if I did I'd use the SkyFi setup described above by Dunk.

Solanum
30-12-2015, 01:57 PM
I don't, but was considering it for this very reason. Yet more expense! Was thinking of the SkyBT device. With the AN, you could just think, "I feel like looking at globulars", select globulars and it would go through all the ones that were visible. No way of doing this with the NexStar unless you know all the NGC/Messier etc. numbers for what you might want. You can't even scroll through the visible Messiers, but have to enter the number you want manually....

I assume that with SkyFi etc, you can use the app to zoom in on a suitable section of sky and tap on whatever looks interesting to go there? That would make for easy casual use.

Finally, I use the StarGPS at the moment (the Nexstar needs to align before using skyfi etc is my understanding), do you know whether you can align (using StarGPS), unplug the StarGPS (this is definitely fine and what I do), then plug in the SkyFi and use it, or do you have to have the SkyFi plugged in when the mount is turned on?

Thanks!

Camelopardalis
30-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Yup, exactly...you could zoom in and tap to a empty piece of sky if you wanted to, from what I understand it sends movement commands for the mount to follow. I've always used it with SkyFi plugged in at power-on.

Doesn't the GPS plugin to the AUX port?

Solanum
30-12-2015, 02:06 PM
The Celestron one does, but the StarGPS (which seems better specced and was a bit cheaper) uses the hand control. I'll email the SkyFi people and and ask if it needs to be in from power on.

Thanks again.

Camelopardalis
30-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Alternatively, if you observe from the same place you could just enter your coordinates manually ;)