PDA

View Full Version here: : LX 200 Alt Az question

Merlin66
15-10-2006, 06:53 AM
How does the LX200 fit onto the top of a Meade tripod in Alt-Az. There doesn't seem to be any way they bolt together??????

acropolite
15-10-2006, 07:24 AM
There is a (long) centre bolt that goes through both the spreader and the tripod top and holds the two together. Look at the first page (http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeManuals/LXseries/LX200GPS_manual.pdf) on the user handbook and you'll get the idea.

Merlin66
15-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Understood... but the centre hole on the base of the LX200 is not tapped and larger diameter ( clearance to rod) than the long threaded rod which goes thru the top plate??????

RB
15-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Yep that's how it's suppose to be.
The Base of the LX200 has the tapped hole instead.
Just make sure your tripod is very level, this helps in getting the bolt screwed in properly to the base.
If it's difficult to screw in then don't force it, try leveling the tripod again.

Dennis
15-10-2006, 08:09 AM
I don't have an LX200, but reading these threads it seems that there is an expectation that the base of the LX200 should have a threaded hole that accepts a bolt that is pushed up from underneath the tripod.

Merlin seems to be saying that he does have a hole, but it is not threaded and the hole is also bigger than the mating bolt from the tripod?

Cheers

Dennis

RB
15-10-2006, 08:13 AM
:doh:
I think your right Dennis, reading that again it sounds like somethings not right with the LX200 base.

Merlin66
15-10-2006, 08:18 AM
OK got it!!! The hole in the LX200 base doesn't easily show the thread... it's deep down inside the recess. BTW in reducing the height of the Giant Field tripod you may be interested to know the maximum that can be cut off the legs before the inside extension legs interfere is 370mm. Cutting 350mm off the legs reduces the height to 700mm.

Omaroo
15-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Yep - the hole in the bottom of the base is merely a guide hole. If you stick your pinkie up there you'll feel the threaded section which starts half way up.

casstony
15-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Handy hint: there have been instances of the bolt binding in the threaded base and causing damage to the threads, a problem easily avoided by spraying teflon onto the bolt threads once in a blue moon.

[1ponders]
15-10-2006, 10:34 AM
There is a mod for the LX series calle The Springy Thingy (http://www.v-image.com/astro/equip.htm) which I found makes mounting the scope on the bolt easier much much easier. It costs about $10 to make and you don't have to worry about sliding your scope all over the place trying to find the hole, and balancing the scope at the same time.

Merlin66
15-10-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm a little surprised that the LX base is just held by the centre bolt??!!
Has anyone drilled out three of the top tripod holes to give clearance on bolts inserted from the bottom into the LX200 base. Surely this would give a more robust outcome??!! Or is the idea to rotate the base on the tripod for "alignment"

casstony
15-10-2006, 11:47 AM
The centre bolt alone seems to be quite adequate for holding the setup together. In my case I used those 3 holes to screw a piece of plywood to the tripod, of slightly greater height than the proruding bolt, resulting in a flat landing pad for the fork base. If the plywood is cut to the same shape as the scope base it's very easy to line things up.