PDA

View Full Version here: : Dovetails/Tube Rings

Frostyricho
22-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone,
Ive finally saved up to buy a HEQ5 mount but one thing that is confusing me is the telescope tube rings and the dovetail. Im looking and have found tubes to the size of my 8 inch dobsonian telescope but I don't know if I need a specific dovetail to fit the type of tube rings to the mount. Im thinking it might also not be the right thing to do because there is still other things to get in order to start doing astrophotography and it is scaring me. What should I do, should i get the mount or just hold it out until i get more money to buy not only just the mount but also the equipment.

Kind regards,
frostyricho

billdan
22-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Hi Frosty,

The HEQ5 will determine what type of dovetail to get, there are usually just the two types. The narrow Vixen dovetail and the wider (better) Losmandy dovetail.

I have an EQ6 which will allow both types of dovetails to be fitted not sure what the HEQ5 supports, but most probably Vixen style only.

The limiting factor for you is total weight, The HEQ5 payload is rated at 13Kg visual and about 10Kg for imaging.
The scope rings weigh nearly 2Kg each and the dovetail about 1Kg, that does not leave much room for telescope,camera, guidescope etc for imaging.

I would add up all the weights first before jumping in the deep end. You may find yourself saving up for an EQ6 instead.

Regards

Bill

doppler
22-12-2015, 01:04 PM
You will need the narrow vixen dovetail. The Heq5 is the heavy duty version and will carry a 8" f5. I have pushed mine a bit and have managed to mount a 10" f4.8 dob. (fitted to a portable pier) You just need to keep the scope well balanced.