PDA

View Full Version here: : Leica Zoom

MattT
17-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Any one use this or tried it?

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/eyepieces/zoom-eyepieces/leica-zoom-eyepiece-vario-8-9-17-8-mm-asph-2-m48-filterthread

A bit expensive but have read good reports on CN. A lot of cash to spend if it doesn't live up to the reports. The alternative is a 14 12 10 Delos trio to go with a 19 and 27Pan.

:cheers:

Matt

casstony
17-12-2015, 02:05 PM
I've got one Matt and I sold off my Delos/XW's in favour of the convenience of the zoom. The view and image quality is similar, with the Lieca much like a Delos zoom, with about 2mm less eye relief in the Lieca.

MattT
17-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Hi Tony
Any negatives? The only one I can find mentioned is EOFB edge of field brightening. Only ever noticed this in Baader Hyperions. Not that big a deal unless its really noticeable...is it?
The zoom seems like a good buy. I have a nice 2x ES 2" Focal Extender too.

casstony
17-12-2015, 06:15 PM
I haven't noticed edge of field brightening, but I haven't looked for it. I'll check in the next couple of days.
The only negative for me is the new price being expensive and over the gst limit. It's a bit of a toss up whether to purchase 3 Delos or One zoom.

MattT
17-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh yeah the GST...forgot about that. Wouldn't be an issue really when I work out if the zoom is really what I'd like.
Being able to find the right mag for the night without changing eyepieces is very appealing, specially as this one is up there with the best of them.
I guess 60 degree AFOV is at the long end?

galaxy
17-12-2015, 06:48 PM
its available with ozhut--ozscopes at a very reasonable price SALE!!!! --much cheaper than importing---adapter can be bought from APM

galaxy
17-12-2015, 06:52 PM
and of course its fantastic... the very expensive starlight adapter works best
but APM adpater is also fine
cheers
Vaidya

MattT
17-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the link Vayida. So tempting.....if only Christmas wasn't in the way. I do have my own version of the starlitght adaptor.... ATM of course!

:reindeer:

Kunama
17-12-2015, 08:20 PM
Would you really need the 12mm Delos? Perhaps you only need the 10 & 14.

Alternately if you do go with the Leica Zoom, you could ditch the Panop19 as it would be pretty much redundant.

MattT
17-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Hey Matt,
Yes and no...I was thinking 14 12 10 8 with a 2x Barlow getting 7 6 5 4. Got the whole thing covered. By all accounts the Delos Barlow beautifully as did the XW's when I had them. It is a fair bit to outlay though...obviously not all in one go. Wether I'd use the 12 is a thing to think about...it is very close to the 14 and 10.
With the zoom the 19 Pan would be redundant ...yes. I like the less is more approach I admit, hence the zoom thinking.
Part of this is my cute ED 60mm f5.5 'finder' scope, bought from Meru via Poppy...cheers Col, and doing a few overnight hikes like Cradle Mtn etc.
The zoom would be 'the' eyepiece of choice in such a scope.
Decisions......

Camelopardalis
17-12-2015, 09:31 PM
If the $ weakens slightly then it should drop below $1000 from APM...

Allan
18-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Optically I thought it was terrific. I was considering getting one for my TV85 for when I travel with it.

Ergonomically though, I didn't like the top of the eyepiece. It is very wide with no eye guard. I guess I prefer a more narrow, tapered top with an eye guard. This was after only 3 hours of use, so maybe you get use to it with time.

MortonH
18-12-2015, 10:29 PM
The APM page says it has "comfortable rotating eyecups". Seems to be a new feature.

Allan
18-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Looking at the photo on the APM page, it does have a rubber ring around the top of the eyepiece, but not a traditional eye guard. I like the eye guards because they block stray light and I use them to help keep my eye in the right position.

That photo also reminds me how wide the top of the eyepiece is, with the lens a fair way from the edge. That's what I didn't like ergonomically speaking. Each to their own.

MattT
19-12-2015, 11:41 AM
The link Vaiyda sent me via PM to Ozhut is dead...does that mean they don't exist anymore?

Don't mind the eyecup thing at all, as I always have eyeguards rolled down always. 18mm is what I call long ER, so I hope the eyecup twists up and stays there. XW's are fantastic for that.

Allan what do you use on the TV85 for travel?

MortonH
19-12-2015, 12:42 PM
http://www.ozscopes.com.au/leica-25-50x-ww-asph-wide-angle-zoom-eyepiece.html

Merlin66
19-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Hmmm,
Plus the cost of a quality adaptor you'd need to make to fit the astronomical scopes........
At least the Pentax zoom is 1.25"
I've tried many (like many....) different Zoom eyepieces - the Pentax was definitely the best.
http://www.digidirect.com.au/accessories/eyepiece/pentax/pentax_smc_8-24mm_zoom_eyepiece_20x-60x_with_pf80_spotiing_scopes

MattT
19-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Thanks Morton....doh

Pentax zoom....the only thing I was thinking on the Leica is the AFOV over the zoom range...its big. Big enough to not need any other eyepiece....ever...probably til I get to the 27mm Panoptic....but worth looking at, as is the Hyperion Mk III.

The Pentax and Baader don't replace other eyepieces, for me at least, the Leica does... or can :)

:thanx:

MortonH
19-12-2015, 03:49 PM
In this thread the reviewer said the EOFB was enough to hide M95 in his C8. He still considers it a great eyepiece though.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/206367-first-light-leica-zoom-asph-178-89mm/

casstony
19-12-2015, 03:54 PM
I have the Hyperion Mk III and the Lieca. My Hyperion zoom is very good though I have heard reports of people being unsatisfied with it's image quality.
In my typically lower magnification viewing there's not a lot of difference between the two zooms, perhaps a bit more contrast in the Lieca. I imagine the gap widens at higher magnifications.
The extra eye relief is nice in the Leica and in practice it's field of view seems to stay fairly constant at different focal lengths.

galaxy
20-12-2015, 07:38 AM
There is also the Swarovski zoom Ep which is used with their spotting scopes. There is on comparison in CN. APM has an adapter for that too.

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/user-reviews/eyepieces/zooms/leica-zoom-25x-50x-asph-178-89mm-r2317

this is one of the most comprehensive reviews on the Leica zoom .The reviewer Andreas was patient enough to answer my many other questions. He said that with the Leice zoom and a Baader VIP and a starlight adapter you get an absolute top end gear capable of producing an infinite number of combinations :)
Cheers
vaidya

dannat
21-12-2015, 10:41 AM
the other zooms to consider include the kowa 25-50x, you would need someone t make up an adapter for you

MattT
21-12-2015, 07:24 PM
That's a great review of the Leica zoom. I have a 2" 2x ESFE that is very nice.
Will look up Daniel's suggestion too. The scope I most want to use a zoom in is my 10" Orion Optics UK Newt which I have been enjoying using up a ladder on the old Gaunt pillow block mount of late. The up and down the ladder is a bit of a trial so enter a zoom, but it has to be a good one...

MattT
21-12-2015, 07:57 PM
So have looked up the Kowa...looks like very similar to the Leica in many ways but the adaptor for it doesn't look straight forward, so the Leica is the front runner in my search.
The Pentax and Hyperion I have dismissed due to lack of AFOV at the long fl end.

It's all academic for now, but give me a few months of saving up and The Leica has it. EOFB reads to be at the long fl end and I have the rather nice, small and lightweight Pan 19mm to cover that, should it be needed, courtesy of Morton who graciously decided to part with his....thanks Morton.

Will update this later on...much later, specially knowing Melboune's track record with weather.

:thanx:

Matt

castor
22-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Is the Leica zoom really THAT good in that it can effectively replace a series of Pentax XW's?

Kunama
22-12-2015, 04:42 PM
I think even this quality zoom involves compromises, probably most obvious will be the narrower apparent field of view of 60 degrees compared to the XW etc. I like zooms in the " grab& go " use but am not sold on them as my main eyepieces, even at this quality.

MattT
22-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Apparently yes. Too many experienced observers have said so. The long FL end is 60º AFOV rising to 80º AFOV at the short end. Plenty enough for my taste.
Gotta admit 3-4 Delos is also very appealing....