PDA

View Full Version here: : First ever star party

mattyb217
11-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Tomorrow is the first time that I will going to a star party, and I was just after some info in regards to what are some essentials that I should be taking. So far all I can think of is, telescope (obviously), red light, fold up chair and table.

Is there anything I am missing?
:thanx:

glend
11-12-2015, 02:08 PM
A bottle of Port.

barx1963
11-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Matty
I assume you are heading to Heathcote for the ASV do. I have been up there 4 times and I would suggest if camping overnight in a tent, don't forget a hammer for the tent pegs. Ground can be quite hard in the camping areas so good pegs are a necessity.
It can get very cold at night if it is clear, so plenty of warm clothes and gloves. I try to take a couple of spare batteries for the red light to make sure I can find my way around if the battery runs out as it get veeeery dark up there.

Cheers

Malcolm

mattyb217
11-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Yep sure am Malcolm, and can't wait:D. Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I won't be camping so I won't have to worry about the hard ground and the trouble getting the pegs into it :) I will defiantly pack some extra warm clothes though!

Allan_L
11-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Star Charts, list of DSO's to search for. I use a website www.tonightssky.com
where you can enter your location, planned observing times, preferred object types, magnitude, etc, and print out a list of objects on show with celestial location in RA/Dec or in Alt/Az if preferred.

Clear skies and enjoy!

mattyb217
11-12-2015, 05:10 PM
Excellent Allan thank you

barx1963
11-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Further to what Allan said, a useful thing to take is a plan!!
It is very easy to spend time wandering around, looking at other peoples gear and what they are doing and do no actual observing through your own scope! (been there, done that!!)
At this time of year it gets fully dark at about 10pm, so try to make a deal that you will spend say 11pm to 12pm getting some good eyepiece time.

Malcolm