PDA

View Full Version here: : Takahashi focuser HELP!

garymck
10-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Hi
due to an accident with a vacuum cleaner (long story) I have a bent pinion shaft in the focuser of my TSA120. Takahashi have said that I am incapable of removing and replacing the 2 screws that hold the shaft in place, and are insisting that the whole focuser be returned to Japan where their experts will remove the 2 screws, fit a new pinion shaft and reinsert the 2 screws. This is despite the case that I was able to take the pinion shaft out and photograph it. The expected cost is almost equivalent to the purchase price of a new focuser. I actually reckon removing the whole focuser would be much more hassle than the 2 screws :-)

By any chance, does anyone have a spare pinion shaft they would let go?

Whilst I would like to keep the scope original, I'm not going to be held to ransom for a $2 part. At worst I'll fit a Feathertouch unit to the otherwise undamaged focuser.

cheers
Gary

Kunama
11-12-2015, 07:03 AM
Gary,
The part is actually not a $2 part, it is a $90 part (included postage) and is available from Claude at AEC in South Australia.
as for fitting it, make sure it has some grease at the contact points before install.

garymck
11-12-2015, 08:28 AM
Thanks Kunama,
I admit I may have exaggerated the $2 part - post was written at a time of being extremely *((& off ! To be told I can't remove 2 screws was ridiculous though and I didn't like Takahashi's attitude. Was seriously considering buying another refractor, but this episode has made me seriously review my options.

Putting the pinion shaft it in a lathe today to straighten it. If this does not work, and I can't buy a new one through Claude, I've already worked out how to repair it. Fiddly but doable. I'nm lucky enough to have some hobby machine tools....

cheers
Gary

Kunama
11-12-2015, 08:40 AM
I bought one from Claude a few months ago, it was $90 posted to me, took a couple of days to get to me.

You should be able to straighten it in a lathe, only gets tricky if it bent on both side of the cog. In that case chuck it alternately each end till you get no runout. I use a hardwood block while spinning it slowly.

garymck
11-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Luckily it is only bent on one side of the gear, so should be doable. If I can't get it straight I'll cut the gear off, bore/ream it and replace the bent shaft with a piece of drill rod. I can then drill/ream the 2 bits that hold the focuser knobs and loctite the new pinion assembly into them.

Gary

garymck
11-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Focuser and MF3 are both fixed and as good as new. My scope is back to mint condition!!! :):):)

cheers
Gary

LewisM
11-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Was going to say fixing a bent pinion even manually in a vice is simple, but in a lathe is pure child's play.