PDA

View Full Version here: : Calling all Darwin Astronomers

Hemi
04-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Dear Members,

I'm a total newbie, with a shiny new c925 evolution. I started a thread in the beginners section, but am disappointed that it seems there are only 2 members who live up here in the top end!....that surely can't be true.

There are currently no Astro groups up here, and it would be nice to have one.

So if you live in Darwin, and are interested, please step forward now.
:thumbsup:

Cheers

BeanerSA
04-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Can I get honorary membership status when I'm up there?! :P

I'll only have my binos.

Hemi
04-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Of course you can...in fact you can be a guest of honour. I'm sure you'll be seeing more with your bino's then I will with my newly acquired telescope.....still, you are the only one who's replied.

:help:

Hemi
04-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Do you think this thread is in the wrong section?

RB
04-12-2015, 10:32 PM
It's fine here.

leon
05-12-2015, 06:59 AM
It does sound odd that there are not more responses to your question of how many members are actually in the NT, or Darwin.:shrug:
I am in Darwin as we speak, but not actively involved in any Astro stuff at the moment.
I meet Brian from up here last time i visited but have to admit do not know of any others.
I suppose the NT, is not the most favorable place to pursue this hobby, with its humidity, hot and wet conditions during the year.
I hope you enjoy your new scope. :)

Leon :thumbsup:

vlazg
05-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Hi Leon, welcome to Darwin, how long are you up here for?
George

PhilTas
05-12-2015, 11:41 PM
Hi Hemi and George,
I live in Darwin but am working fifo in Karratha.
I'll be back into Darwin on 15th and would be happy to have a meet up.
Cheers Phil

leon
06-12-2015, 06:21 AM
George, I am here only for a short period of time, i was up here for 12 months while traveling around Australia 2 years ago and have come back to try and do some storm chasing, which are proving quite elusive at the moment.

Leon

vlazg
06-12-2015, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=leon;1218029]George, I am here only for a short period of time, i was up here for 12 months while traveling around Australia 2 years ago and have come back to try and do some storm chasing, which are proving quite elusive at the moment.

Leon

Late December, early January is probably more consistent if you want storms

Sounds good Phil, let me know.

leon
06-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Yes I agree mate, I reckon I am a bit early, but i can hang around as long as i like.

Leon

Cosmic
06-12-2015, 11:40 PM
Darwin is growing slowly haha. I say give it anther 10 years and we may have enough for a decent group. Sadly I maybe leaving and at the same time I'm also very keen to get back into astrophotography...what a coincidence aye.

Hemi
10-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Hi Phil,

Yes sounds good...let us know when your back and we can meet up.

Cheers

Hemi

Ps....any suggestions for a convenient dark site meeting place? Not too far from Darwin.

PhilTas
12-12-2015, 01:10 AM
I live on 5 acres at Mcminns Lagoon.
You're more than welcome to come out one night. Might have to be at short notice though depending on cloud cover at this time of the year. There is some skyglow towards town and Palmerston, but it's bearable most nights.

cheers Phil