PDA

View Full Version here: : My 16 GSO Dobsonian experience

Baza
19-11-2015, 05:32 PM
16 GSO Dobsonian.

What’s good.
Images are excellent when better quality eyepieces are used.
The focuser is smooth and works well.
The friction systems work well.(read below)

Not so good.
The secondary mirror was nowhere near aligned with the focuser. Required more than normal collimation.

RA friction device had been lubricated by poor assembly practice. It needed to be dissembled and cleaned to work correctly.

During manufacture, the finder bracket was positioned to make alignment impossible. The holes were enlarged slightly and the bracket refitted to permit alignment.

There is a gap between the focuser and the upper cage as the radii are mismatched. There is no adverse consequence, it’s just ugly.

Weight, it is just over 30 kg per piece for the base & lower tube. The weight of 60 plus kg and the awkward shape make moving the telescope as an assembled unit extremely difficult.

No instructions or parts count.

It came with 4 eyepieces, I've only used the 2" 30mm on the moon where it gave false colour, however the image was otherwise acceptable.

The terrible bits.
The entire base assembly is chip board. Chipboard is heavy and unsuitable for this application, telescopes get wet. After a week of observations the base is showing signs of degradation due to condensation.

All edges are raw chipboard, there is nothing to prevent the absorption of water. Before assembly of the base all edges require sealing with paint to prevent moisture entering. That is if you keep the base.

My Summary.
The images make it worth keeping.
The base is junk, no telescope should have unsealed edges or a chip board base because of exposure to moist observing conditions. It’s not just GSO, many others use chipboard.
Base pieces make great templates, so you can use a router to cut a ply base. A ply base will need to be painted on all surfaces. It will be lighter, additional cutouts would further reduce weight.

BeanerSA
19-11-2015, 06:13 PM
Hard to believe the bare edges on the chipboard!

astronut
24-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Barry, thanks for the great review.

I agree about the weight of the base.
I've had my 12" LB since 2006, the base is still in good condition.

You do have to look after the base, but I am amazed that GSO do not cover all the chip board.

The LB base (made by GSO) are very well made.

I covered all the edges with super glue, as an added measure to seal out moisture. Any damage should be sealed immediately, the same way.:)

glend
24-11-2015, 08:40 AM
All the GSO, and most other prouction Dobs, should be seen as projects. In my experience with mine the base edges certainly were covered by a plastic insert strip but it doesnt stop dew from getting underneath over long nights. Your paying for reasonably good optics and bearings, the base is overly heavy chipboard and won't last more than a few years. Build a good marine plywood base, just use the original panels as templates. A digitial setting circle system really makes them easy to use, the Astro Devices wifi box is ideal and Serge can supply the cables, enciders, etc as well. Download Sky Safari Pro to you tablet and you have a low cost 'push to' system. Alt bearing hub is easy to mod for the encoder.

I might add in my experience that no GSO scopes come with instruction or assembly manuals, they seem to assume you know enough to put It's together. You can download pdf files on this.

If your buying a 16" dob you should expect weight. There are ways to deal with ths, and on mine wheel barrow handles custom made to fit the sides made It's very essy to move around. Yes It's a pain to transport to a dark site, even broken down, but when you buy a big scope you shoukd expect some work in moving it.

They are good scopes, even at today's price, but people should not expect SDM build quality, nor complain about the compromises needed to meet the price point. I much prefer getting good optics at a budget price, which is what GSO is all about.