PDA

View Full Version here: : Mount control via android device?

bojan
05-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Recently I decided to try OnStep project for my permament EQ6 (http://www.stellarjourney.com/index.php?r=site/equipment_onstep).

GoTo works OK with CdC running on PC (connection via USB), however currently there are some limitations if android app (via BT only) is not used.
For example, on power-up, scope is always in park position..
This can be overcome if GoTo is performed with motors OFF and scope manually pointed to nearby object. From there, with motors ON, GoTo and tracking works OK.

Now, if I have to use mobile phone or tablet to control the mount, I don't want to use PC.. and I would like to have star charts with scope connectivity on the same android device.

There is Stellarium for android, but this version doesn't support mount controll.

Anybody knows for a suitable app?

BTW, I have DXteme tablet, which doesn't have BT.. is it possible to use one of those USB BT dongles? I can't find any specific BT adapter drivers for android..
Thanks in advance !

hickny
05-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Bojan, I use SkySafari which communicates with Nexus from Astrodevices using wireless if that helps.

glend
05-11-2015, 11:55 PM
I use Sky Safari Pro on my android tablet with a Nexus box connected to my observatory pier mounted NEQ6. I find it vrry easy to use and I'm mainly imaging. I use a guidescope and guide camera into Metaguide to manage the scope during imaging runs but Sky Safari is my scope driving tool to get from obhect to object.. I also have full ASCOM and Stellarium but never use it because Sky Safari via wifi does everything I need.

Mokusatsu
22-11-2015, 11:34 PM
I just bought a Skywatcher goto dob with a Synscan AZ control. What do I need to do to make this talk to my android tablet? I am planning on buying Skysafari Plus or Pro.

Edit: it's ok, I found out with my own Googling.

I would need either a SkyFi wifi to serial module, or a SkyBT Bluetooth to serial module. The former works on both android and iOS but is unreliable for android because of the way android handles ad-hoc wifi networks. The BT one was made especially for Android to work reliably with them, but doesn't currently work with PC or iOS.

To hook it up to a PC and run Stellarium or something I just need an inexpensive USB-serial cable from eBay, and a laptop.

ChrisV
12-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Sky safari plus is nice controlling my C8-AGT from my android phone, via blue tooth.

Chris

kon1966
16-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Hi Moku,
I have skysafari Pro 4 with skyfi 1 on android and only supports ad-hoc connection. I also use the basic free sky safari on a apple tablet and that direct connects. There is a new version sky safari pro 5 coming out soon but as I use starsense accessory on my mount, I am waiting for celestron to add the autoalign starsense feature so you do not have to do the 3 star align.

regards
Kon

kon1966
16-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Forgot to mention the apple tablet I have is the first version released so if you go down the apple path, you do not need to buy the latest. Just update the software.

regards
Kon