PDA

View Full Version here: : Elkens Polar aligment tool CCD

elken2004
30-10-2015, 12:02 AM
I got frustrated with my NEQ6 and getting poalr aligned.

I tried several methods to achieve this, I could not easily see the Octans group visually as being in the burbies and older eyes.
I tried drift method several types, I did not want to spends ages getting it aligned.
I then bought here on ICE trade a bracket that attaches to the polar scope, and orignially there was a square style ccd mounted to it, with a c-mount 6mm lens. I did not get the CCD.
I then using an old heat sink, made it into a bracket which I attached to the rear of Orion SSAG. ( It now has a camera mount bracket :) )
I also added a second screw, which acts as a guide in the original polar bracket.
I fashioned up a piece of conduit pipe with a coarse thread to accept the c-mount 6mm lens, now have since bought m42 to c-mount lens adaptor.

As to the polar alignment, I first rotated the scope to line up Octans etc.
But scrapped that as a bad idea, as it blew away my home position.
I then just simply used those two stars that form a triangle with pole..

I now can achieve within a few seconds, very quickly polar aligment.
This would be very useful if going to dark sky sites, mobile.
I reckon that you could do it in five minutes easily, so long as you know roughly where polie is.

I can now use this on my Star Adventurer mount too.
I used the PHD software to do the aligment.

g__day
30-10-2015, 08:33 AM
That looks like a clever idea!

glend
30-10-2015, 08:41 AM
While I can't use that solution (as the wall of my observatory is too high to permit NEQ6 polar scope use), it's given me an idea. I will remove my never used polar scope and attach it to a bracket that can sit on top my main scope or scope mount on the NEQ6. Thanks:thumbsup:

elken2004
30-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Could you simply cut a port in your wall to achieve this, as the pole never moves.. hehehh like that one..

Too many errors with mounting on a bracket, altho at a pinch better than nothing.

uwahl
04-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Hmmmm - I have an EQ8 and a spare SSAG. Just need to get hold of a polar scope and I should be in business.

Like you I have "old eyes" and find twisting into pretzel shapes to view through scopes very difficult hence have never bothered with a polar scope but this has possibilities!:thumbsup:

5ash
15-11-2015, 04:39 PM
excellent Mod, made me think how i could use my ZWO camera in a similar fashion. Raked around in my equipment boxes and found a 1.25" to 2" adapter and a cut down 2" end piece from a SW telewscope. Cobbled together they connect camera to polar scope. see pics .
regards philip