PDA

View Full Version here: : Locking mirror on SCT & adding focuser

blindman
26-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Any experience on locking main mirror on SCT (I think mid way) and adding focuser to get easier focusing and better views?
I am thinking of doing that on Celestron 9.25'
Appreciate any experience.
Cheers all

Merlin66
26-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Relatively easy to do on the Meade SCT, but very difficult with the Celestrons.
I've gone from Meades to Celestron and very happy with the Microfocuser arrangement.

blindman
26-10-2015, 11:42 PM
I heard that holes has to be drilled and 3 screws to put in to fix mirror, you mean it is problem to do it properly? The biggest problem would be to avoid drillings not to enter tube, which now seems to me impossible.:-(

g__day
27-10-2015, 12:29 AM
Don't know if mirror locking is really needed. A Starizona 10:1 fine focuser will focus well and stiffen the mirror travel significantly.

An SCT focuser may be a good call, especially if you image. The cheap option is simply a Meade motorfocuser + a Shoestring PCFC adapter. If you are moving a heavy load - go the full hog and get a Moonlite focuser with high precision encoders and computerised control. I have both these options on C9.25 the Meade and the Moonlite on a Williams Optics 110mm FLT. The Moonlite focuser just laughs at heavy payloads whilst the Meade struggles.

blindman
28-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys, I think Starizona fine focuser will be more than enough for visuals / some planetary imaging.