PDA

View Full Version here: : First astrophotography Setup Help!

sheldonpayne
26-10-2015, 01:13 AM
Good day! :hi:

So far I have been trying to set up my little observatory with a budget of $3300. I have been doing my research and most of the population says Refractors are better because they are cheap and others Schimdt-Cassegrain. I want to have a very good setup where I can enjoy for many years. I am still undecided and a little lost of which set up will work better for me. Here my options:

Option 1 ($3,600) :
1. Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G Computerized GoTo Telescope Mount,
2. Orion 2" Zero-Profile Prime Focus Camera Adapter,
3. Orion Awesome AutoGuider Refractor Telescope Package,
4. Tele Vue 0.8x Reducer/Flattener,
5. Orion ED80 80mm f/7.5 Apochromatic Refractor Telescope,
6. Orion StarSeek Wi-Fi Telescope Control Module, Serial/USB,
7. Orion Dynamo Pro 17Ah Rechargeable 12V DC Power Station,
8. Orion T-Ring for Nikon Camera

Option 2 ($3,400) :

1. CEGM DX 1100 (http://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=99843&type=product)

(this one includes the tripod and the telescope, but no room for accesories for the moment)

I already have a Dobsonian XT6 for about 10 years now, but I look forward to start using more modern equipments for astrophotography, imaging of DSO.

I will be deeply thankful!:thanx:

Retrograde
27-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Hi Gab and welcome.

I think the ED80 route would be less frustrating as it's a lot easier to hone your skills at shorter focal lengths.
At some point you'll likely want more reach but if you buy a quality ED80 it will be very saleable (or you might decide you want to keep it anyway for those larger objects) and a quality mount will happily take a larger OTA once you're ready to step up.

dannat
27-10-2015, 12:51 PM
yes the ed80 will be easier, if you do want to get a cassegrain get one of the edge models, edge8

bugeater
27-10-2015, 01:40 PM
What you want will depend on what you want to image, plus what you are imaging with. As an intro, a shorter focal length setup is probably more appropriate and will give you a wider field of view. This is more appropriate for larger targets like nebulae, whereas a longer focal length is more appropriate for things like galaxies (and planets). The ED80 will be short focal length, while the CEGM DX 1100 is very long focal length.

Also you seem to have completely missed reflectors, which are large, cheap and good.

Somnium
27-10-2015, 03:23 PM
the 2 set ups are really designed to do 2 different type of imaging. you mentioned that you want to image DSO's the 80 ED would be great at wide field images like Nebulae but not so great at galaxy images and vice versa for the CEGM DX 1100.

have you considered a imaging newt on a eq mount? that would give you a really good compromise of fast imaging, large aperture as well as leaving you some cash to splurge on an autoguider and imager!

just a thought

g__day
28-10-2015, 02:27 AM
If you want to do imaging the mount is crucial, especially with heavy, long focal length SCTs. It has to handle a large scope, plus focusers, Off Axis Guiders, guide and imaging camera - and track with sub arc second accuracy for extended periods - which is no small challenge.

How dark are your skies, how patient are you to learn the skills needed and do you have experienced folk that can help you tune or debug your option. The larger scope will be a challenge...