PDA

View Full Version here: : Seeking reccomendations for a kids astro book

Mekon
16-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Hello all.
I am looking for a book that can help a 7 year old with his first scope.
I can't be around when he will actually be looking through his new scope (birthday gift) so I'd like to find a book that will help him see what can be seen and understand a little of it.
Any ideas?
TIA

Wavytone
30-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Well, the one I had from the age of 5 was the time-life book "Universe". It was my prized possession - didn't understand any of it till much later.

The one I would suggest is Norton's star atlas. Out of print at the moment but you can find good copies secondhand. Has lots of simple how-to's on setting up the telescope and using it, handy facts and figures on the solar system, some nice pics and the maps are perfect for a beginner.

Some of it will be beyond him now but he should pick it up as his understanding grows.

Another great gift is a planisphere - usually the Phillips ones which are in 2 sizes; give home the large one as the small one is too small for anything much. One of these http://shop.australiangeographic.com.au/the-night-sky-planisphere.html

Note - you must find one for his southern latitude - don't just buy one off eBay because it's cheap - chances are it will be for the wrong hemisphere and wrong latitude.