PDA

View Full Version here: : Gemini2 Balance tools

pmrid
13-10-2015, 01:23 PM
I just managed to get my G2 setup to connect via Ethernet to my Titan mount. But I'm now seeing "Heavy Duty Tr" or "Heavy Duty Lag/Tr" messages on the hand control and popping up on the PC screen also.

I gather these are balance-related. Anyone else seeing these messages? And any thoughts on them.

Initially the messages were all RA - related. So I decided to regrease and reset the RA worm. Opening the gap on RA to 35 thou seems to have put a stop to the RA Heavy Duty messages for RA but now, I am seeing them on Dec for the first time. So I'll reset/regrease that worm as well.

But the question I'd like to throw out for comment is this - what to do about the conventional wisdom of "loading the gears"by putting a bias in the balance. The East-bias seems to be the rule but I am wondering if that is a northern-hemisphere rule which should be reversed here?

And do you load the Dec axis in a similar way or get that balanced as close as you can?

Peter

blink138
13-10-2015, 02:12 PM
as far as i am aware peter the east bias is important and for me it is the only thing that works, however in declination a good overall balance i thought was it
pat

bkm2304
13-10-2015, 02:59 PM
I have a G11 and G2 running it with C11 and Hyperstar, and this is the best balancing exercise (http://www.themcdonalds.net/richard/index.php?title=Balancing_an_Equato rial_Mount) I have ever used - simple and reliable.

Richard

lazjen
16-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Peter, I agree with Pat's statements.

If you've got the the hand controller (and a recent gemini version), there's a menu option under mount, I think, that gives some information about the balance and what the motors are doing. Here's the website info: http://www.gemini-2.com/hc-English/En-balance.php

I've only recently started looking at this and have been thinking about what tuning options might be possible given the feedback it provides.

AlexN
16-10-2015, 09:56 PM
East heavy is the key peter. That keeps the worm engaged to the worm gear such that you drag the heavy end up either than pushing it down.

White Rabbit
21-10-2015, 08:56 AM
I've made a pendulum on mine so that it is always east side heavy no matter what side of the mount my scope is on.

I've attached some VB cord to the counter weight shaft and slipped the noose up as far as it will go. Then wrapped it around the the setting circle a few times (well just above the setting and have a 1kg weight hanging off the end. I've attached a small arm with track wheel on it to guide the VB cord and to ensure that it rolls on and off smoothly. It works really well. You just need to make sure when you do the initial balance you don't have the counter weight on.

lazjen
21-10-2015, 04:15 PM
That's an interesting idea - can you post pics?

White Rabbit
22-10-2015, 08:14 PM
If it ever stops raining lol.

White Rabbit
24-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Here are a few I took tonight with my phone.

White Rabbit
24-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Looks like I'll need to upload them one at a time.

White Rabbit
24-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Image two

White Rabbit
24-10-2015, 10:11 PM
In this image you can see how I've attached the arm with a G clamp.

lazjen
27-10-2015, 07:14 AM
Ok, I see it now. If I understand correctly, the pendulum is "engaged" when the weights go to the east, right? And if you flip, the pendulum becomes "disengaged" from the shaft?

pmrid
27-10-2015, 07:44 AM
As I understand the design, the scope is always east-biased no matter where it's pointing.
Peter

White Rabbit
28-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Correct, the mount is always east biased.