PDA

View Full Version here: : Occultation of Venus and the Crescent Moon 9-10-15

doppler
05-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Just a reminder for the occultation of Venus and the Crescent Moon just before dawn this friday morning. Details of times for viewing the event can be found here. http://www.users.on.net/~reynella/skywatch/ssky.htm

Tinderboxsky
06-10-2015, 10:17 AM
I plan to be up early to observe this occultation, weather permitting. It shall be interesting with the disappearance in morning twilight here in Hobart and re-appearance well after sun up. I am hoping to see both events.
Cheers
Steve

N1
06-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Do I read this chart correctly in that only night-time locations are listed for disappearance and reappearance?

http://www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/planets/1008venus.htm

Should be easily visible from anywhere inside the marked area regardless of sun altitude.

doppler
06-10-2015, 04:00 PM
The eastern states of aust are below the white line indicating that the first part of the occultation will be visible before the sun rises. Daytime viewing can be difficult because of the suns glare. Best chance to see it is at the dissapearance stage. Here's a pic of the daytime occultation in July this year. Best to set your scope tracking on venus and wait for the reapperance. I just hope the clouds stay away for a couple of hours.

Rick

Blue Skies
06-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Even if it happens in daytime where you are, its still worth noting, as Venus should be easy to spot with the Moon to act as a focus point for you. So if you haven't seen Venus during the daytime, yet, here's your next chance!

tonybarry
07-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Sydney forecast is looking poorly for this event.

Oh well. Maybe next time.

Regards,
Tony Barry
WSAAG

rustigsmed
07-10-2015, 02:04 PM
current prediction for my area is 38% cloud at 1am dropping to 2% 2am-5am then back up to 88% for the remainder of the day ...:sadeyes:
fingers crossed that 3 hr gap is pushed back later.

ZeroID
09-10-2015, 04:57 AM
Saw the pair this morning around 6:00 am, beautiful sight in the sky but too low in the east for me. I have no eastern horizon from the Ob and I was off to work anyway. Lovely skies this morning, shame last night was all cloudy till well after midnight.
Fielded a few questions about it from colleagues who spotted it.

mg
09-10-2015, 06:10 AM
Boo.
Gold coast was a complete cloud over. Disappointing.

h0ughy
09-10-2015, 06:27 AM
fully clouded then the almighty sucker hole formed out of nowhere and caught me off guard, only to set up a basic rig and be clouded out again, then packed up, then guilt got me so looked out window at 5:30am and spat chips - bloody clear but too late. i wished i set up the night before but i watched venus visually reappear......:sadeyes:

N1
09-10-2015, 06:36 AM
That was a cracker! All set for reappearance. Superb weather in the South Island.

Edit: Reappearance observed. Very enjoyable. A 5 minute break from work was all I needed. This is why I love my grab and go setup.

doppler
09-10-2015, 07:57 AM
I setup last night but early cloud covered the first part (it cleared for a few minutes as soon as venus dissaperared lol) The reappearance was visually great. It was hard to photograph the dark limb of the moon and venus together though.

Tinderboxsky
09-10-2015, 08:28 AM
The occultation of Venus by the moon was a sublime sight in the clear twilight at Tinderbox. Venus was like a sparkling jewel on the bright limb just at disappearance in the soft twilight light tones Jupiter and Mars were both clearly visible nearby. At reappearance the two crescents were lined up and hung like matching pendants. Whilst Mercury was above the horizon it was obscured by a low bank of cloud and smoke haze.
102mm refractor at 20X.

Steve

Suzy
09-10-2015, 08:22 PM
That's such a beautiful description Steve, thank you :) .

Clouded out with rain here in Brisbane so I saw nothing :mad2: .
But at least hubby got a pic of it during his trip in Arnhem Land, Northern Territory. Fishing... as blokes do :P. It took him by surprise when he looked up, he had no idea it was happening :lol:. He was probably going for another sunrise shot as he's been doing. He messaged me saying looks like the Moon is about to get eclipsed.... is that Venus? :lol:. But it was too early for me to respond, I was still :zzz2:so he obviously worked it out for himself.

ralph1
10-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Rain in Sydney as well:mad2:...
On the bright side, I saw Venus later in the day near the Moon, and showed it to some friends as well.
Ralph