PDA

View Full Version here: : Piers how make DIY

elken2004
01-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Hi thought I would share on my creation of a pier at minimal cost.

1 x old gal flag pole from a friend who has had it up his garage roof for 30 yrs

1 x plate from my NEQ6 when bought from WA, flat plate with base for NEQ6
you could use any flat plate tho

1 x 10mm 1000mm x 500mm steel plate i have had for years.

A variety of tools.

a borrowed welder from same friend as above.

pole cut into 3 pieces 1.5 meters length.
slight angles using grinder on pole ends, then attached using brackets from network switches, what can I say had them kicking around as I do computer and network support for schools.
This is done to get structure ready for welding, oh boy have not welded anything for 30 years, filler will hide lumpies, or lots of paint.

as I rent its a bit hard to do full level mount for pier, however using four point mount for top plate, I was able to get that level. Looks a bit odd but it works.

I had to build a platform out of wood lying around and slats from an old single bed. then danish lacquer to protect it.
photos show the rest.

arghhhh rotated images.. oh well!

Somnium
01-10-2015, 12:37 PM
that looks great, well done !

elken2004
01-10-2015, 12:50 PM
I was inspired to do pier by the guy selling one in brissie. but my patio has slight slope, and also was not gonna buy a large pipe to do it.
also the tripod, as Lars named it, has become a martian tripod with ray gun included. has more stability on that slope, as the top plate has been leveled by connecting bolts, Also in hindsight I would have done three points instead, but it will do.

MattT
01-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Really nice Clive. War of the Worlds was my first thought too :lol:

Matt

RobF
02-10-2015, 10:53 AM
What a great semi-permanent solution!

elken2004
02-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Also it was very cost effective too!