PDA

View Full Version here: : Old Newbie.

poppyrob
30-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Hi all. This is my first post to the forum as a green as grass old newbie. Although not quite 65, I retired a few months back, and was presented with a voucher for $500 at a local store that sells among other things, telescopes. On enquiry, the storeowner advised that he has connections with Skywatcher and duly provided me with a list of Skywatcher web addresses for mainly refractor type scopes.

I have never owned a telescope previously, although many, many years ago had the privilege to look through a refractor, and more recently a Skywatcher 114/500 reflector belonging to my neighbor. With the voucher 'in-the-bank', I did a little research on the Skywatcher range and looked for approximate pricing across the Australian range.

Oh, and while investigating, good old Google pointed me to various sites professing the advantages and disadvantages of particular setups. Now this is where I am open to advice and suggestions. The first piece of information I have read is to try before you buy, but unfortunately that probably won't happen. I'll be pretty much going on trust. Probably my first fail, although I was quite impressed with the neighbours 114/500 reflector.

What I have decided on is either a 6" or 8" Skywatcher dobsonian. Dobsonian because it eliminates tripods and their various mounts. The 6" comes in around the voucher value and the 8" would mean adding more money, but would upgrade to a bigger scope for little outlay on my behalf. We live in a country area receiving little introduced light, so I could probably fit the scope to a small self-made trolley for easy transportation and positioning around my large backyard.

So, the obvious question, what do you think? Am I biting off more than I can chew for an initial purchase? And should I go the 6" or 8"? I am unsure of the type of eyepieces supplied with the Skywatcher range, but read somewhere that Plessl type were preferred. The website does not specify this information, so perhaps someone may advise the makeup of the Skywatcher kit. Also, is there anything I should initially purchase when ordering the scope? I believe a laser collimator would probably be required somewhere down the track.

Thank you for taking the time to read and consider the above. I will appreciate each and every reply, and am quite eager to step into the realm of star and planet gazing, something I considered over the years but did not embrace. It's never to late.

Rob.

raymo
30-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the forum Rob. You certainly haven't bitten off more than you
can chew; years ago most newbies started off with a 60-80mm
refractor, but today the 8" dob seems to be the most popular starting point. The Skywatcher collapsibles are very popular, being easy to transport, and holding collimation very well. With the 8" you can carry the
scope in one hand, and the base in the other. In my opinion the 8 is the
way to go, as it should keep you happy for a lot longer than the 6.
In case you might want to attach a camera further down the track, take
note that the SW collapsibles allow this, but many brands will not allow
a camera to focus without major mods, such as moving the primary mirror further up the tube. Hope this helped.
raymo

Allan_L
01-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Hi Rob,
welcome to IceInSpace :welcome:

You are about to take your first steps into a wider universe, very exciting.
Ask lots of questions, we love to share our passion.

I agree with Raymo,
The skywatcher 8" Dobsonian is a great piece of equipment.
It (generally) comes with 1 or 2 reasonable quality plossl eyepieces.

You don't need anything extra to start observing, but some recommendations
A planisphere (make sure it is southern hemisphere one) to help orientate and find stuff.
Stellarium is a great (FREE) PC based planetarium software that shows exactly what you see when you look up.

For comfort at the eyepiece, you may consider a right angled finder scope to save your old neck from aching.
And a height adjustable stool (like a gas filled bar stool from Aldi)

Good luck with your adventure.
Where abouts are you located?

BeanerSA
01-10-2015, 08:21 AM
I'll add my vote for an 8" dob, providing you don't have any major back or neck problems.

glend
01-10-2015, 09:20 AM
As per previous advice, an 8" Dob is a good place to start and is a nice size. At some point you will need to do some reading about reflector mirror alignment (aka Collimation) but don't let that scare you off. A simple Cheshire tube is all you really need to check on the mirror alignment of a dob.

poppyrob
01-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Thank you for the advice. This afternoon I ordered the 8" SW and should hopefully take delivery sometime toward the middle of next week. I must admit I am quite eager to open, inspect and setup the new addition. Now all I need to do is figure out a good place to start observing.

Thanks again and I'm sure I will be 'on the boards' in here quite often, either excited in my efforts or asking silly questions that only a newbie can do.

And Allan, I'm on the north coast of NSW near the coastal village of Yamba.

Rob.