PDA

View Full Version here: : BAS Astrocamp October

cmatt
29-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone, I just got here via a research vortex...

My partner is really interested in astronomy and for his birthday coming up I was thinking about getting him a telescope. However I have been a) overwhelmed by the hours of internet reading I have done without coming to a conclusion with what would be best to get and b) unsure how much I need to spend to actually be able to get a satisfying look at other planets. I'd like to surprise him but I'm a bit worried about choosing on his behalf.

So... I was wondering if anyone knows what it is like to go to one of Brisbane Astronomical Society Astro camps? (http://www.bas.asn.au/index.php/events/3-astrocamps) If we went without a telescope do you think people would let us have a look through theirs? Which would be a nice evening (it's on his birthday) and then would help us determine what kind of scope to get. Or is it more of a "bring your own" type deal and we shouldn't really expect people to give up their time with their own scopes. Which I wouldn't be offended by of course, you go to use your own scope but I didn't want to surprise him and bring him along without our own if that's more the vibe. Is it bad manners to ask to look through someone's telescope?!

If anyone has any experience or ideas what direction would be best I would really appreciate it. I just want to give him a great birthday.

Thanks for your time!

Claire

P.S. I'm aware I would need to become a member to go, that would be part of my gift to him if the camp would be a good idea.
P.P.S. we're in our 30s, we won't run around with white lights irritating the crap out of you.

RickS
30-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Hi Claire,

You're not the Claire I used to work with, perhaps?

Someone from BAS will probably chime in, but I'm sure you'd be welcome and that folks would be happy to let you have a look through their scopes, give you advice on purchasing gear, etc. Astro club people are almost invariably friendly and willing to help a newbie.

Cheers,
Rick.

thunderchildobs
30-09-2015, 06:01 PM
For all your questions you should email the BAS Secretary at info@bas.asn.au.

Important: place "BAS INFO" in the subject line or else the spam filter will reject

Brendan

RobF
30-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Hi Claire

The other option might be to watch the Star Parties, Club and Community Events forum/thread. There are almost always a couple of people opening their properties to like mind astro-souls around new moon weekends. Ron (Astroron) at Cambroon near Kenilworth might be closest to you, but its a great way to hang out, ask questions and figure out what your boyfriend thinks appeals.

brisen
01-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Hi Claire

BAS have a StarBBQ on this Saturday at Moogerah dam which might be a bit far to travel. I am hoping to go as I have some things I want to see. They are also holding nights at Brighton now again. No need to have your own scope as members are more than willing to let you look through their scopes usually. Given the variety of scopes that usually turn up it is a good chance to view different setups. The members are a wealth of knowledge and I know some members spend time with people showing them what's around.

Ron is probably the closet to you as he is near keno leith and often has a star party on the new moon weekend.

Brian

cmatt
06-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! What a friendly bunch you are :thumbsup: