PDA

View Full Version here: : Doctor Who season 9

doppler
20-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Doctor Who season 9 starts tonight on ABC 1. Hopefully the writers have come up with some better scripts this time.

Atmos
20-09-2015, 03:07 PM
I am looking forward to it. I know a fair number of people who aren't that impressed by Peter but I don't mind him personally.

toc
21-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Quite enjoyed it, thought the stuff with the tank and guitar was a bit silly.

brian nordstrom
23-09-2015, 11:35 AM
:question: Not to bad. Just found it quite involved as they had to put a lot into the short timeframe .
The Doctor,s gold fish is a lucky one :rolleyes: .

Brian.

issdaol
25-09-2015, 05:48 PM
don't mind the new doctor but the problem with the show in general is:

1. the writers are trying to fit too much into a single episode or two

2. the writers seem to be trying to appeal to too wide an audience age group which results in many episodes sounding like material written for pre-school kids

3. some special effects are good but some have a very low budget or too CGI look

Take for instance the starting sound and effects during the time of Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. For such low budget effects they still managed to give the show a serious and spooky SCI-FI feel.

Then with the return Series One and Series Two with Eccleston and Tennant while the starting effects had strong CGI but still managed to pull off a nice serious SCI-FI feel :-)

ralph1
26-09-2015, 11:02 PM
SPOILER ALERT

Can't believe it, I predicted all last year that Danny Pink was Davros. This year, I predicted that the man who told the boy about the handmines at the start was Davros. I got the shock of my life when I saw how close I was to the truth.

Personally, I like Capaldi almost as much as Tennant, and prefer him over the other new series Doctors. The main problem is the colossal amount of brainpower needed to follow the story arcs, which is why my favourites last year were the 'standalone' episodes.
It would be much better to simply have all episodes part of doubles or triples, creating cliffhangers and discussion while decreasing the need for extensive season long story arcs. Hopefully a double to start us off is a good sign.
Ralph

issdaol
27-09-2015, 02:55 PM
actually I don't mind the season long story arcs....it allows for some creativity and flexibility across a lot of episodes by branching out onto completely new self contained stories with their own little cliff hangers but also helps bring things together at the end of the season.

This falls apart a bit when they try to make things too complex or forget things which happens a bit.

One thing that really annoys me is the constant contradictions in the reboot doctor who series about the TARDIS.

In the original WHO series it was clearly established that most or all TARDIS's were powered either by the Eye of Harmony on Gallifrey and Background Universe Radiation.

The Doctors stolen/borrowed TARDIS was the last of the Type 40 TARDIS's and had its own independent Eye of Harmony power source internal to the TARDIS.

This was also backed up by the episode with the last doctor in Journey To The Centre of The TARDIS.

However the writers conveniently contradict or support this to suit the aims of single episode stories in the reboot WHO series