PDA

View Full Version here: : What threaded rod for a pier

Spookyer
25-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Hi all, getting close to concreting the threaded rod in for the piers.

With the rod should I buy galvanised or stainless?
Is 12mm diamter rod sufficient or should I go say 16mm?

I will have payloads of up to 30kgs on the piers plus counterweight plus weight of mount etc.

leon
25-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Hi Brett, 12mm Gal would be sufficient, no need for stainless steel, that stuff is pretty expensive.
I do presume you mean you are placing these rods into the top of the pier when the cement is still soft.

Leon

glend
25-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Bunnings sells formwork lag bolts that work just fine. They are 12mm galvanised and have an L bend in the end you put in the concrete. Couple of different lengths I used the longest ones.

Spookyer
26-07-2015, 07:16 AM
Yes Leon, I will set the rod into the concrete during the pour so later I can bolt my steel pier down to it via holes I will have in the base plate of the pier.

Glen I will check out the lag bolts, can't find them on their website but will ask in store.

Brett

pmrid
26-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Brett, I've done 3 piers and all different. In one, I decided to have adjustment for true level on top of the pier and on another, I went for adjustments at the base and - wait for it - you guessed it, in the third, I went for both. In the one I had the adjusters at the base, I wanted to be sure the bolts wouldn't rust out in the concrete so I went SS. In the others, I went for plain gal. In each case, 12mm was more than enough. 3 or 4 of those and the pier is not going anywhere.

Peter

jenchris
26-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Pop some masking tape over the exposed thread. Concrete is hard to remove from gal.

leon
27-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Yes that is a good point Jennifer,

leon

muletopia
27-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Hello Brett
Yep, tape those bolts. I did not like the idea of adjustment plates,rat cages or shims to achieve level. In obs section, beginners pier complete thread, I describe how I cast 16 mm galvanised threaded rod in the concrete. The absolutely rigid top plate is easily level enough for my HEQ5 pro mount.
Certainly keeps me happy.
Cheers
Chris