PDA

View Full Version here: : Mangrove Mountain tonight (21/7)

Allan_L
21-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Forecast looks good for tonight (Tuesday 21 July).
May be fleeting opportunity to catch Comet Panstarrs. (C/2014 Q1)
At sunset (17:08), it will be at an Altitude of 26*02' in the WNW sky, setting around 2 hours later. (Approx RA 9:40 Dec 7* 22').
[figures supplied by www.Tonightssky.com (http://www.Tonightssky.com))

I will aim to get there around 4pm.
Dew amelioration recommended.

All welcome.

Allan_L
22-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Well, mission accomplished.
Was able to catch nice views of Comet Panstarrs, albeit fairly low on the horizon. Clearly visible tail, and green head. Well worth the trip.

Then, as put so elegantly by a renowned Melbourne poet... "He's checking in on constant friends,
as they rise and waltz across a ballroom sky;
(ladies' diamantes glittering,
men's dress shoes shining)
and that dazzle, for him, could never grow dim." ***
The sky was crisp, clear and steady.
Saturn with my seldom used Televue Radian 3mm (500x), clear and crisp details in the rings, and nice colouration of the planets banding.

Then, its back to the new favourite, Ethos 13mm, for a leisurely stroll through the Synscan Tour, lots of details and some I had not been able to observe in detail before.

I had cleaned the old DOB, and tinkered with the goto, in preparation for camping trip to Bretti, which was abandoned due to adverse weather, so I was keen to see the results of my efforts.
It performed beautifully, delivering all targets to the centre of the field of view, or just a few minutes off. I was impressed.

And with the slight breeze, there was no dew anywhere.

Then home for a late night cuppa, and a (relatively) early night.

I did note some fog encroaching on the horizon as I packed up all my dry (for a change) gear, so my timing all around, was sweet.

Only thing missing... someone to share it with.
Sorry for the short notice, but when a window of opportunity pops up, go for it if you can, I say.

Its been a few months since last observing, so this evening should satisfy the withdrawal symptoms for a while.

Looking forward to Bretti Astro Camp in August, and some fine company.

*** "AstroPhysics" by Bronwyn Lovell. *
First Prize - Adrien Abbott poetry prize for 2013
Picked up and published in Radiations (American Institute of Physics)Fall 2014.

* my daughter

Allan
22-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Sounds like you had a great night Al. Sorry I couldn't make it, but I was a bit tired from work. I did spend the night just in the back yard.

Did you happen to see the bolide that went through Centaurus. I didn't check the time, but around 10 I think. Brightest thing I have seen while on the ground. Much brighter than the full moon and a beautiful orange colour that lit everything up like daylight. Very cool.

Hopefully we can catch up come August.